OC ReMix @ PAX Prime! (Aug. 27, 12PM, Raven Theater, Seattle, WA)

Liontamer

Friday, August 26 to Sunday, August 28

Washington State Convention & Trade Center, Seattle, WA

http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/

OCR joins the 8th annual PAX Prime in Seattle for our 5th PAX panel! And we're appearing for not 1, but 2 big panels! We've got a BAJILLION tricks up our sleeve!

PANEL 1!

The Mainstreaming of Video Game Music

Raven Theatre

Friday, August 26, 3PM

What was once commonly dismissed as "beeps and bloops" back in the day is now a veritable industry of its own. Video game music is drawing more attention, revenue and acclaim, even getting its own category in the Grammys. Careers in game music are more viable than ever, in large part due to the boom in indie, downloadable and mobile games. Come and hear a wide range of perspectives on game music as "mainstream", from artists who perform, write and help popularize game music.

Panelists Include: Raheem Jarbo (Mega Ran), Luke Esquivel (A_Rival, Wave Theory), Danny Baranowsky (Super Meat Boy, Cave Story 3D), and David Lloyd & Larry Oji of OverClocked ReMix!

PANEL 2!

OC ReMix: Making Sweet, Sweet Love to Video Game Music Since 1999

Raven Theatre

Saturday, August 27, 12PM

You like video game music? Koji Kondo? Nobuo Uematsu? Of course you do, they're awesome. Come on down and celebrate the greatness of VGM with OC ReMix founder David “djpretzel” Lloyd, head judge Larry “Liontamer” Oji & OCR's elite staff of video game music ninjas! Whether you want to create OC ReMixes, compose for indie & pro video games, or just listen to badass game music, we're here to bestow advice and recommend awesome music. Get the scoop on upcoming OC ReMix albums from soundtracks like NiGHTS, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country 3, and Final Fantasy 9! You can also win FREE limited edition physical copies of our Sonic the Hedgehog album, The Sound of Speed (Sonic 1, son!), as well as other merch for people that are awesome at our SECRET CHALLENGE. Come rock out with us & win some swag!

Panelists Include: djpretzel, Liontamer, Big Giant Circles, Nutritious, Level 99

OC ReMixers attending:

• djpretzel
  • A_Rival
  • Big Giant Circles
  • Danny Baranowsky
  • Level 99
  • Liontamer
  • Mega Ran
  • Nutritious

SCHEDULE! (coming soon)

hdr.png

• 1 month later...

If you know anything about OCRemix then most of the stuff at the panel (panel 2 that is) was stuff you already knew about the site (and I barely come here). Was expecting a lot more music oriented stuff, like how you guys put together a basic remix, maybe even you demonstrating using your chosen music software, things like that would've been really cool and lot more interesting than hearing who was getting engaged to who and just seeing the guys in real life.

That said I'm very appreciative of the real CDs you guys provided at the panel and I will treasure the Sonic Remix CD! Very cool.

Hope you don't think I'm trying to be negative, just a suggestion of what you could do to make a more exciting panel next year.

:)

If you know anything about OCRemix then most of the stuff at the panel was stuff you already knew about the site (and I barely come here). Was expecting a lot more music oriented stuff, like how you guys put together a basic remix, maybe even you demonstrating using your chosen music software, things like that would've been really cool and lot more interesting than hearing who was getting engaged to who and just seeing the guys in real life.

That said I'm very appreciative of the real CDs you guys provided at the panel and I will treasure the Sonic Remix CD! Very cool.

Hope you don't think I'm trying to be negative, just a suggestion of what you could do to make a more exciting panel next year.

:)

Thanks for the feedback.

That being said, I would have loved to have dedicated every slide of every powerpoint we showed this year JUST to Larry getting engaged so I had an excuse to repeat that picture of Larry's face over and over and over and over.

On a serious note, we do try to come up with a panel that is accessible to both newcomers and regulars, which is why we request additional panel time when possible. Squeezing everything into an hour was very difficult, and we had to unfortunately cut short things like the Q&A, Name That ReMix, and, as of recent, the live performance of ReMixes via OCR LIVE. This time not everyone involved was able to make it, but even then the setup and test time would have likely taken a chunk out of the panel and not allowed us to do the CheetahMen 2 competition.

Q&A is usually when people get to ask things like "how do you make a ReMix" or "what software do you use". The reason for that is because the answer to those things is very specific to the person who's answering. Anso uses Reason and his workflow process is probably 90% different than mine, since I use Sonar and incorporate more live instruments than he does, which in turn is also likely 90% different than how BGC does it, since he uses FL Studio. It is a good suggestion to potentially start applying for a "How to ReMix" workshop where we can go into these things in greater detail, so it is definitely possible to address this in the future. We did add the information on how a song BECOMES an OC ReMix, which a lot of people aren't intimately familiar with, so that was at least something.