Reason Orchestral Template... (And keyswitching talk)

---------------------------------------------

Reason Orchestral Template

---------------------------------------------

reasonorchestraltemplate.png

- Mod Wheel controls expression.

- If you hit harder on your keyboard, it's staccato/fast samples that play, everything ALTs so it doesn't have the machine gun effect

- Everything is pre-panned and pre-mixed, the template is designed so that you can just play it through your keyboard

- Since it's Reason, it doesn't take a billion GB of ram to run the full orchestra.

- The template only uses Reason's base soundset, so no expansions or soundfonts are required.

- The Combi's are laid out neatly/cleanly so it doesn't look like a big mess.

- There are as few of tracks as possible, so you can get orchestral ideas down fast.

- The Demo song included was not painstakingly created, and creating music with this template is not painstaking.

Patches:

1. High Strings

2. Low Strings

3. Pizzicato Strings

4. Bass Strings

5. WW Clars

6. WW Oboes

7. WW Flutes

8. Bass Brass

9. Mid Brass

10. Trumpet

11. Percussion

12. Timpani

Download -

http://www.mediafire.com/?8bv73hfgc7p4uff

------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by markhansavon

Not a bad setup! It seems to work out just fine from the little test I put it through.

On a side note, I definitely recommend getting the Miroslav Gold bundle for Reason if you can afford it ($150). There's a smaller bundle that's sort of a best of package that's much cheaper as well ($59).

Both are quite worth the upgrade. The Orkestra refill isn't bad, though. It just takes a little finess to make it sound decent.

I agree. It's disappointing to me that the Orkestor sounds aren't any better than they are on the string side...It's definitely the mics they used to record the samples...or...something like that. x_x

I like the miroslav refill library. If the NN-XT sampler had good portamento and and keyswitching I feel it would help also.

I'd love to see some further development of the NN-XT or a brand new sampler all together. I haven't seen many people ask for it on the Propellerhead forums, though. With Reason 6, I think a lot of the developers time was spend on getting everything up to 64bit. We'll see what happens when Reason 7 comes around.

A new sampler would be great. Especially if it imported a range of formats. The one right now works if you live in the year 2004....not that long ago, but still.

I doubt we'll see a sampler in Reason that reads a multitude of formats. For the most part, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Since other major samplers like Kontakt have such a different way of working with scripting and such, all Reason might be able to do use read the raw samples themselves.

There are a number of software packages out there that can convert samples libraries so that they can be read by other programs. The NN-XT just needs more things like key switching. You can somewhat pull it off with using a combinator but it's as bit of a pain in the ass.

Is there a way to program your keyboard so that it's buttons keyswitched/press the combinator buttons? I always wondered about that...I'm using an M-Audio Oxygen 61...Hmmm...

I doubt we'll see a sampler in Reason that reads a multitude of formats. For the most part, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Since other major samplers like Kontakt have such a different way of working with scripting and such, all Reason might be able to do use read the raw samples themselves.

There are a number of software packages out there that can convert samples libraries so that they can be read by other programs. The NN-XT just needs more things like key switching. You can somewhat pull it off with using a combinator but it's as bit of a pain in the ass.

Is there a way to program your keyboard so that it's buttons keyswitched/press the combinator buttons? I always wondered about that...I'm using an M-Audio Oxygen 61...Hmmm...

While I haven't done this myself, I'm pretty sure there is a way to set it up with a Combinator. There are some other Reason gurus who would know for sure.

While I haven't done this myself, I'm pretty sure there is a way to set it up with a Combinator. There are some other Reason gurus who would know for sure.

Here we go:

http://www.sonic-elements.com/key_switch_demo.rns

There are several ways to do this. This method uses RPG8's to control the Receive Notes On/Off within the combinator. The limitation is you can only key switch before 4 different instruments. Another limitation is you loose the ability to play the notes you are using to trigger the key switching. (that is a limitation of any key switching)

One awesome part of this method is you don't loose the release tail of the sound. Once a note is received the data will processed and the sound won't be stopped. Much more musical than several other possible ideas.

Here is an RNS file with the basic rough combi included. Play the song and look at the combi programmer and you can see the patch working. The two Thor's used in the example are panned left and right to help demonstrate the key switching.

• 2 years later...

Keyswitching with Miroslav is a pain in the ass.

For instance;

I take the "Full Strings Comb" from Miroslav and I take the Flute-Keyswitching patch of the Reason library (in the Orchestra folder).

Now, I simply unplug the first flute sampler and carefully route the 3 samplers of the Full Strings into the 1st channel of the 16 ins console. The 3 samplers are supposed to play together as "patch 1". So when I test the keyswitch, I expect to normally play the Full Strings and then keyswitch to get the flutes only; but the damn Full Strings keep playing.

I can only get it to work with one sampler at the time, but for the Full Strings I need the 3 patches to play at the same time and damn, they're routed into the 1st channel and coming from a spider merger so wtf is the problem.

Things like that make me want to get rid of Reason. I lose days and weeks because of shits like that. I love the synths in Reason so I kinda don't want to get rid of it at all but I think about selling it to get a real library.

As complex as it may appear to others, I know I'd feel like a fish in the water with Vienna, and will, but for know all I can work with is Miroslav. I have a real album to put out. I'm pissed.