The Death of Tonehammer - 50% off some libraries

SJM

"The passing away of Tonehammer. The birth of two separate companies and a final sale at 50% off some of our most popular libraries, which will last until August 1st where Tonehammer will cease to exist.

8Dio (by Troels Folmann) (www.8dio.com)

Soundiron (by Mike Peaslee) (www.soundiron.com)" (facebook announcement)

50% discount - I'll surely buy Emotional Piano and maybe Zitherette; I know the piano is great, but does anybody of you know Zitherette and can recommend it or anything like that?

Just scored Emotional Piano. As for the download utility: it expects the folder you want to download the files in to exist, so don't be stupid like me and stare for 5 minutes at the app that will jump back from "Queued" to "Paused" because there was no D:\Tonehammer yet.

(the servers are probably getting hammered, but not that badly yet).

Just scored Emotional Piano. As for the download utility: it expects the folder you want to download the files in to exist, so don't be stupid like me and stare for 5 minutes at the app that will jump back from "Queued" to "Paused" because there was no D:\Tonehammer yet.

(the servers are probably getting hammered, but not that badly yet).

D: is right.

(c wut i did thar)

Yeah, I'd appreciate your opinion - I love a zithers sound, but I wonder whether the library is easyly usable (especially because I only have the Kontakt Player and thus can't really tweak the patches).

Another thing: SoundIron will publish Emotional Piano Version 2 (http://www.soundiron.com/instruments/pianos/emotional-piano/) where they "improved overall playability, added a new ui with a full set of automatable performance and effects controls, fixed a few minor bugs and refined the overall experience."

Sadly there is no price yet, but hopefully we get to know more about this before 31st ;)

Yeah, I'd appreciate your opinion - I love a zithers sound, but I wonder whether the library is easyly usable (especially because I only have the Kontakt Player and thus can't really tweak the patches).

I can answer this without having used the library, unfortunately. Most of Tonehammer's libraries, Zitherette included, according to the product page, are designed for the full version of Kontakt, which means that Kontakt Player can only load them for half an hour at a time in the demo mode for the full version. This is also the case with Emotional Piano. From the Zitherette product page:

• Note: Native Instruments Kontakt 2 / 3 / 4 full retail versions required.
  • Note: Free Kontakt Player will only work for 30 minutes with this product. Full version required to remove this restriction.

Another thing: SoundIron will publish Emotional Piano Version 2 (http://www.soundiron.com/instruments/pianos/emotional-piano/) where they "improved overall playability, added a new ui with a full set of automatable performance and effects controls, fixed a few minor bugs and refined the overall experience."

Sadly there is no price yet, but hopefully we get to know more about this before 31st ;)

I figure the savings for Emotional Piano 1.1 make it worth getting even with 2.0 on the horizon, since I assume 2.0's price will be in the $150 neighborhood. From the product description, it doesn't sound to me like the samples for 2.0 are new -- just tweaks, refined controls, and bugfixes, which I can probably live without.

I figure the savings for Emotional Piano 1.1 make it worth getting even with 2.0 on the horizon, since I assume 2.0's price will be in the $150 neighborhood. From the product description, it doesn't sound to me like the samples for 2.0 are new -- just tweaks, refined controls, and bugfixes, which I can probably live without.

My guess is there will be an upgrade path for existing owners of EP1.

I have just one more question about Emotional Piano: on the product page it says "only with full Kontakt" but in the FAQ ( http://www.tonehammer.com/?p=6393#kontaktfreeplayer ) it seems like it should work with Kontakt Player, too. Has anybody tried that yet or can enlighten me there? :D

From the Emotional Piano ReadMe PDF:

**This library was originally released as a locked “Powered-By-Kontakt Player” library, but is no longer supported by that format. This library now requires the full retail version of Kontakt 4 or later.

So it was originally a Kontakt Player library, but is no longer available in that format. Note that Epic Frame Drums is also no longer a Kontakt Player library despite what the FAQ says. Either they forgot to update the FAQ or they've left that stuff there for the benefit of people who purchased the libraries while they were still Kontakt Player format.

From the FAQ:

The advantage in making our libraries open-format instruments is that you have direct access and ability to edit or manipulate the .wavs, which is very important to a lot of users. You also don't need a serial number or use “Add Library” to install it. It's ready to go as soon as you install it and you can use it on any number of computers you own simultaneously.

I know that Tonehammer's design philosophy is generally not to lock samples or use copy protection, so my guess is that they stopped supporting Kontakt Player because that format requires that the samples be locked and that the library be activated through NI. Releasing a few libraries in the Player format was most likely an experiment that they decided didn't work.

I know that Tonehammer's design philosophy is generally not to lock samples or use copy protection, so my guess is that they stopped supporting Kontakt Player because that format requires that the samples be locked and that the library be activated through NI.

More than likely, the expensive licensing costs to encode in the Kontakt Player platform was not worth the added benefit of protection and the added benefit of additional non-Kontakt-using customers--especially when such benefit is overall fairly dubious to begin with.

These don't work with Kontakt Player. We've already been over that.

EDIT: You mean stand-alone Kontakt as opposed to Komplete, right? (Kontakt Player is what they call the free version.) $250 may not be that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but it's a little much for an impulse purchase just to use some libraries that are on sale.

Not sure what country you're from, but Kontakt 4 is $400. :sleepdepriv:

It's not definitely NOT worth buying over Komplete. I have it standalone simply because it went on sale for $200 on Black Friday, which to me makes a little more sense. If you're ready to drop $400 on Kontakt, wait a little till you have $100 more, then grab Komplete. You get more than double the size of Kontakt's library in synths, samples, and effects for $100 more. That's 90 freaking gigabytes of sounds.

if you just buy the kontakt player and not komplete, its not that expensive really.

Kontakt Player is a free download, and Tonehammer libraries don't work with it.