Megaman 2: Quickman Stage Remix

I'm excited to say that this is my first post in the OCRemix forums. I have been appreciating all the good work the people on this site have done for several years now.

I know... ANOTHER Megaman Remix. If you can bear listening to just one more of these, I would appreciate some feedback on how this project is going so far.

http://snd.sc/nvdjMt

I put it on SoundCloud. I'm not familiar with the hosting site suggestions on the "sticky" in this section. If you guys think they are preferrable to SoundCloud, I can use that from now on.

Thanks!

Welcome, pal :)

GREAT source, although I think people should start taking a look at the MM tunes that don't get as much attention. But I guess Quickman is one of the less posted sources from MM2.

Ok, first off, that build was sweet, but dropping for a 20 second fade-in was a bad call imo. If you gave it a bar or a couple beats of silence and then came in strong, I feel like it'd be better suited to the style you're going for.

Also, I'm not sure about extending the 2 bar phrasing to 4 bar, it kind of gets boring pretty quickly. Maybe just once through the 4 bar in the beginning would be more appropriate? There're too many lazor sound effects too, and it takes a long time to get to the actual melody. When it does come in, I can appreciate the chilled out vibe you're going for, but it's pretty soft, and it comes off kinda wimpy. You may also want to alter melodies and bass notes, because right now it's pretty conservative.

On the up-side, I like your synths, especially the bass and that electric sitar sound around 1:45 for the melody.

I can't offer much on the production front; arrangement is more my forte, since I'm pretty new to the production aspect (and the community itself as well). Keep it goin' and I'll crit more then!

Welcome aboard!

pH

Edit: Also, I apologize if this seems pretty negative

:tomatoface:

No, pH, that's great advice. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that out. You're being constructive. Maybe I also should have mentioned that this is in a really, really early stage of development. Perhaps it may have been too early to post. I've just been working in a vacuum for a long time, and asking a friend for feedback helps but is not the same as asking a community of arrangers and producers here.

I do have a habit of overbuilding where it may not be called for, so this makes sense. You're right, I gave it a few listens and there's about 16 bars that I can easily cut out.

I'll think about coming in strong so that the drop for the soft melody contrasts and is more appropriate, or keeping a shorter fade in but making the melody section more intense.

It's nice, the drums sound like a Commodore 64.

I liked the synths and the overall sound, though I am not familiar with the source tune.

I love listening to peoples remixes, I am new here as well, but I used to come on OCRemix years ago to have a listen.

I think the build up to start sounds fine, by the way. It has a nice filtered quality that, brings us into the main part, I enjoy that effect.

Good stuff. :-)

• 1 year later...

So I abandoned this for a while and went back to work on it. I am just about done with this. I will make no more changes in the arrangement of anything; I'm quite satisfied with that, though you can feel free to provide input, if you like.

I'm more interested in feedback regarding instrument qualities and mixing, compression, etc.

Here's the link. You know what to do. Thanks for taking the time.

0:53 - When that bass comes in, I think it's too loud, and it's grabbing the attention the C64 arpeggio should be getting. Think about what sounds should be louder than others and edit accordingly.

The panning phasered lead is nice.

At 2:31, it seems to meander quite a bit. It would be great if you could turn that into a glitch section with glitched drums too. And while you're at it, use new, stronger drums at that part to really emphasize it. Chop up the leads with some automation (even on the volume it might work out) and don't be afraid to create some glitchy stuff!

You might get some ideas from zircon's "Identity Sequence" (the track specifically, not the entire album). :-P

There's a distinct lack of low end power. Most of the stuff in the low mids is just indistinct sonics. The kick is pretty wimpy and I'm not sure if that saw sound counts as a bass. Most of the synth sounds kind of blend together, imo they need some EQ refinement. Beefing up the low end could help in this regard too, the mix is pretty mid range heavy now.

Argle:

There's a distinct lack of low end power. Most of the stuff in the low mids is just indistinct sonics. The kick is pretty wimpy and I'm not sure if that saw sound counts as a bass. Most of the synth sounds kind of blend together, imo they need some EQ refinement. Beefing up the low end could help in this regard too, the mix is pretty mid range heavy now.
I'm not really sure if I feel that focusing efforts on adding "low end power" will be an improvement? :???: I had intentionally trimmed the kick back so that it didn't get in the way. In the spirit of Quickman I wanted to avoid chest-shaking heaviness and power. It doesn't seem to be what Quickman is about.

However, other than minor tweaks while working on it, I haven't mixed this yet. You have a point. Needs EQ refinement. In the process, some things may be sonically spread out to lower frequencies. The instrument muddling that you hear might be repaired by mixing as well.

timaeus222:

0:53 - When that bass comes in, I think it's too loud, and it's grabbing the attention the C64 arpeggio should be getting.
You're absolutely right! Didn't catch that. Not sure why I turned it up so high.
The panning phasered lead is nice.
Thanks!
At 2:31, it seems to meander quite a bit. It...
Yes, it's a bit plain, you caught me being lazy. I just want to get this thing done already. I'm unhappy with how I ended it (hastiness), especially from 3:08 onward, and I will need to change that. Thanks for the Zircon tip. I wasn't digging the track, but I know exactly which section you were referring to. If I choose to make changes there, I will probably head in that direction.