OCR02464 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 & 8 'Duel of the Blades'

DragonAvenger

• 4 weeks later...

This is a really intelligently arranged orchestral mashup, with the themes fitting together very well. The sequencing and samples are pretty good, with the flute solo being very fluid. My only nitpick is that I would have preferred it to go out with a massive flourish, but the more subdued ending does work very well.

I think this is really well done; great concept and solid execution. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I think the arrangement here is stellar, and the way the two themes are incorporated really works very well together. I like the subtle changes of melody, and the obvious structural changes really add something to the piece. For the most part the sequencing is solid, as well, although I think the 2-minute mark loses a bit of steam overall, I felt that was the weakest section.

Overall a solid arrangement, looking forward to more from you.

YES

• 2 months later...

I found the arrangement to be a little repetitive personally. Seemed like everything happen twice and sometimes for not much reason. It also feels like you might have been better off doing two seperate mixes. Sure it was clever but a little bit forced at time. The sum of the parts wasn't necessarily greater.

Overall gripes aside, the general harmony and orchestration is excellent. Everything but the brass sounds fantastic, but isn't that always the case with orchestral samples :3. Great example of orchestral balance and sequencing.

YES

Not much to add here. Very nice arrangement here of some familiar themes. The attention to detail with the counterpoints and supporting instruments was fantastic.

Production was nice and clean with some great samples used (you're making me jealous). A couple of times the sequencing came off a little unrealistic, but overall it was very nicely done in that regard.

Yes

Yeah, to confirm Darke's call, Hamaguchi orchestrated OWA for the Reunion Tracks album (they play it at Distant Worlds and such too), and that's exceptionally close to the original. He was also responsible for Liberi Fatali's in-game orchestration. Just paying deference to Hamaguchi; arrangement here is definitely his work unless there's something else I don't know about.

Since I'm here and I listened to this, I'll throw an additional YES into the pile for good measure. Themes are pretty well fused, and while the arrangement is a little repetitive with some section repeats, there's variation between them and overall this is more than fine. The brass is exceptionally weak at 1:31-1:50, but a pretty rad sound besides that. :nicework: