*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Revolutionary War'

djpretzel

Remixer Name: Vitus

Email: Mgormly@uvm.edu

Website (mp3s): www.purevolume.com/vitus

Remix Info:

Game Remixed: Chrono Trigger (yes, another)

Name of Song: World Revolution

Name of Remix: Revolutionary War

Comments: I didn't think this song had been given justice yet on OC, so I gave it a pretty standard Goa Trance treatment.

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn

Nothing against the genre, but if the construction is always like this, I have a hard time seeing how ANY Goa Trance would make it onto OCR.

Intro stays minimal and repetitive up until 1:20, which I'm willing to take at face value waiting for things to pick up. But as soon as more generic-sounding electrosynths layered on top at 1:21, this descended into the poor category.

No sound balance at all in the track, and it took until 3:18 to get to somewhere melodic. Everything sounds cluttered together and terrible. Definitely dragged on. Chrono's theme sealed things at 4:13. Now Zeality has to have this mix no matter how poorly made it is.

Truly the epitome of a track dragging on aimlessly for 5:54. Wish I had the 6 mins back. Needs severe improvement. I'd be interested in Xelebes take on this one, if he's familiar at all with the stated genre, but I've got no love for poorly done generic electronica.

NO

Yep, I don't care if it's part of the genre. When the same repetitive thing happens for over a minute, it doesn't make for an enjoyable listening experience. It would be one thing if what's repeated was particularly interesting or memorable, but in this case I don't feel it is. This may work at a club, but a listening experience outside a club, it is not. For the same reason we would not find it excuseable for an ambient mix with 1 chord and nothing else for a minute or so (granted this example is a simpler analogy).

But beyond that, this is very cluttered. The mixing is all over the place. But it's dominated by that growling sound throughout, which is very unpleasant and disorienting.

I did like the stronger sections of the mix, from the latter half til the end, but even that still needs some work.

Finally the ending just cuts off very abruptly. Not up to par at this point. Consider working more on the polish of your mix.

NO

I'm going to have to agree with my fellow judges here. This is extremely repetitive with little development, little interpretation, and a bland arrangement. Production values, INTEGRAL to good electronic music, are severely lacking as well. Goa should have much tighter sounds, dynamic synths, not so much a 'wall' of sound. Needs a lot of work in all categories.

NO