Emu 0404 Equivalent?

I tried buying an Emu 0404 soundcard off of Amazon, but the new model uses the PCIe slot on your computer (the traditional Emu 0404 used PCI slots). Currently my PCIe slot is being used by my nVidia card, so I can't get the Emu 0404 card.

I also checked Creative's site for the normal Emu 0404 PCI cards, but they were out of stock...basically, I can't get the Emu 0404 card that I want.

Can anyone recommend an "equivalent" soundcard (in terms of performance) that is ~100$ and uses PCI slots (instead of PCIe)?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

What motherboard do you have? PCIe comes in several flavors - and the new 0404 only requires a small (1x) PCIe slot instead of a full-sized one (16x, which your graphics card requires).

If you have multiple PCIe slots, the smaller ones should be located at the bottom of your motherboard.

You might be able to get the old standard PCI version on eBay if you're willing to buy used. I don't know what the driver support for it from E-MU is like, though. I'm not sure if it was discontinued before or after Windows Vista/7, so you should make sure it's usable with your OS before purchasing if you decide to go that route.

e-mu's windows 7 drivers are hacked together pieces of shit, they haven't had actual humans making anything since Creative took over.

My e-mu 1212m pci-e barely works [to be fair, it worked amazingly in win xp], and it was giving me some sort of loopback problem where I couldn't record the soundcard's output for my radio show, so I had to get a second card [an external echo audiofire 4, which is GREAT, by the way, and the drivers are actually 100% legit under win7]. Now I'm running a super complicated computer>E-mu>mixer>audiofire4>computer setup that actually works, somehow, but I wouldn't recommend this setup to anyone. You're better off getting something from Echo, and just using one device :) even though their software mixer is a little spartan, it's great hardware.

e-mu's windows 7 drivers are hacked together pieces of shit, they haven't had actual humans making anything since Creative took over.

My e-mu 1212m pci-e barely works [to be fair, it worked amazingly in win xp], and it was giving me some sort of loopback problem where I couldn't record the soundcard's output for my radio show, so I had to get a second card [an external echo audiofire 4, which is GREAT, by the way, and the drivers are actually 100% legit under win7]. Now I'm running a super complicated computer>E-mu>mixer>audiofire4>computer setup that actually works, somehow, but I wouldn't recommend this setup to anyone. You're better off getting something from Echo, and just using one device :) even though their software mixer is a little spartan, it's great hardware.

Yeah, same here. I got win 7 64-bit as soon as it came out, still no proper drivers. Just like Overcoat, I cannot record the output directly back into the card, so I have had to run everything through a usb mixer. I can still record into the card from my microphone though. So yeah the card is good, just crappy support from EMU themselves.

honestly i'd just get a small external interface for recording, something USB 2.0 compatible and fully functional under w7. i needed something bigger and went with a firewire-based saffire pro 40, but an 8-input mixer with saffire's excellent preamps for 350$ sounds darn good to me.

i used an m-audio mobilepre for years. it cost a hundred dollars, ran on usb 2.0, and i never had an issue with drivers. something small like that is likely better for your needs anyways. i don't know what their 100$ interface is nowadays, but it's likely just as solid.

in the sub-4-input space, i have always felt that external > internal every day of the week.