Maybe Next Time~SuperMarioWorld Game Over Rmix

Rukunetsu

This one is up there with some of your best Ruku.

The beat is prime and the SMW gameover melody loops like a charm.

Little variations on the main melody keeps things fresh and engaging.

Also liked the vocal sample, and how you've played with it a while.

Really nice round sound, with good balance between elements.

This unconventional style of hip-hop continues to work in your favor.

Great listen as usual. :)

How could anyone listen to the "game over" song and *not* think that this was intended to be material for a full-length song?

The mix is repetetive, but of course there is plenty of room to fix this. A route I would strongly recommend is switching up instruments for the melody. Maybe a sax?

Sorry man, but that is way to repetitive for my likings. I would strongly recommend switching it around a little more, whether it's changing the sounds a around a bit from time to time, or adding your own twist to it.

I would have never imagined that someone would try to remix the game over theme of Super Mario World. I commend you for attempting it yourself. You definitely have a good idea going here, but I think it could sound a lot better if you put your own improvisations in there.

I've previously listened to your tracks, and generally exit out once the main beat starts (immediately..). There's just too little going on.

The style in this one, however, is perfect. Akin to Nujabes, but with more "modern" mixing. I was still hoping for a bit more, but it was an enjoyable listen.

I hope you develop this style further.

Thanks a ton for the feedback everyone, but I do have something I'd like to get off of my chest. While repetitive to some, you'd do well to note that many hip-hop beats are..well.."repetitive" so to speak. That's the nature of this style (Take a listen to the Champloo soundtracks for example). (Note: I'm in NO way comparing myself to Nujabes or any of the awesome producers on those OSTs btw. Not one BIT.). It's almost like complaining about repetition in a game like Streets of Rage; knowing full well that's the nature of the beat-em-up style.

I'm not saying this shouldn't be subject to critique - but don't overly critique that which comes natural to a particular genre/style.

I realize songs(remixes) here on OCR are usually very expressive, elaborate pieces with tons of things going on - and I really do commend/respect that about this place and the artists capable of such composition. It's really something I'm trying to improve on. However - I humbly ask that you take this for what it is; A simple sample, with a simple beat. No saxaphone solos or anything like that. I know my music isn't for everyone (and my technique is amateur at best), and as Maia said I just don't have enough going on more often than not. I couldn't agree more - but with a sample such as this...I really wanted it to shine as it's[the sample] pretty great as is (imo).

That said though, I agree that more could've been added, no doubt. What started out as something that should've lasted a minute ended up well...a tad longer haha; And I'll definitely keep this in mind, should I attempt something like this again though.

As always, I appreciate the feedback guys; Means alot that you'd take the time to listen to my mixes - and it helps this guy to improve little by little.

No need for apology Ace! - this is something I've wanted to share my thoughts on for some time now, and the recent comments just inspired me to actually voice them. Never took what was said as bashing - as that was your genuine critique. However, I'd just like others to take the nature of a mix into consideration prior to criticism is all (Ends up much more constructive that way).

That said, no feelings were hurt on this end haha.

Yeah this is an awesome beat that neeeeeds some chilled lyrics! You should post it in the Recruit & Collaborate forum and see if anyone wants to perform any over it. Also, is that sample straight from the game? I think that's not allowed if you intend to sub it, so you should check on that. Really like this though, it totally works.

So yeah, I already left a comment on the youtube page about loving how it sounded like something from Samurai Champloo, and I can definitely see the inspirations by Nujabes. Specifically I think it's very akin to 624, Pt. 1, which is one of my favorite tracks on Katana. :P

I also think the soft male vocals you threw in there was a good way to take the same sort of style as SC and change it up a bit.

Since a lot of people who don't listen to the genre seem to not enjoy the repetitiveness as much as me, there's a couple things I can think of that you might be able to toss in to help were you to have trouble subbing it. Sort of like in Tsurugi no Mai, you could add in some sort of sound clips and background noises to make certain parts seem more busy. On the other end of the spectrum, you could have drop-offs - either the lead or the drum track, or both - in certain sections for some variance.

Personally, I like it just fine as is, but a few small things like that might vary it up enough for people who don't listen to the genre much without forcing you to fundamentally change the song. I'd love to see more of this kinda of stuff from you in the future, regardless of whether or not it gets subbed here.

Also, did you draw the background images for your songs? Cuz those are really great too.