Mega Man Legends 3 Cancelled

The Phalanx

This times infinity.

Seriously, it's like if Nintendo killed Mario, or Sega killing Sonic (any more than he already is, but at least Generations looks promising), or Squeenix killing Final Fantasy, or... well you get the idea.

Yeah, they say Mega Man is still alive, but I'll only believe that when I see a new MM game released worldwide (which means I don't count Rockman Online, if it makes it, as a sign they still care).

this is another bad analogy. sega has killed sonic, or haven't you played the last twenty games or so with his name on it? squeenix changed FF so significantly that it can be argued that the aspects that made it FF are gone from it. mario might have super mario galaxy and a handful of handheld games, but he's the only one of the original genre-defining characters that's really still going strong from the original console days, and he did it by branching into literally every single major genre except shooters out there. the others haven't done that. at least sonic did some other stuff besides his primary gametype - mega man's always been the same style of gameplay for 20 years.

mega man has a very vocal minority interested in it. they're very loud, and very small. the game wouldn't break even. i don't understand why people can't get that. if you liked it so much, why didn't you buy the last few games with him in it new, instead of grabbing it from your local used game store?

You're really pushing it with some of those comments.

But first off: Capcom's current line up of titles isnt that great to begin with: MVC 3? Fun But no Megaman really pissed off its long term customers Street fighter? How many different variants do they have on current gen consoles now? Its a lot Resident Evil? They've driven that series into the ground

Capcom exists because of Mega Man. There is no way around that. To do this you're slapping a lot of people in the face. I wasn't a fan of capcom's current line up and they took a HUGE hit with Bionic Commando Reloaded failing as epically as it did. Capcom needed to do right by the fans and gamers who remember company names. They didn't. The 3DS a lot of people considered a gimmick to cash in on this crazy new market TV's have produced. With what the Vita promises and what appears to be a CRAZY low price the 3DS has major competition and no games worth having. Capcom has fallen. Just like Blizzard is slowly falling as long as its attached to activision. I know what games this company used to put out. I dont any more.

ok piece by piece here.

A) mvc3 is a GREAT game which ironically showcases how many successful franchises capcom houses that aren't megaman. disparaging mvc because it doesn't have megaman means nothing more than you're butthurt because it doesn't have megaman. no one who thought about buying mvc3 for anything other than stupid fan loyalty hinged their buy on whether or not megaman was in it. plus zero is anyways.

B) street fighter 4 regardlesss of its 3 iterations is a major part of the reason that fighting games, and the fighting game community, still matters in america. and think about why there are 3 iterations. because people asked for MORE. these updates don't get made just so people can grumble, its because its what the people want.

note here: outside tekken and soul calibur, capcom practically owns fighting games, and that community is huge. several times larger than the megaman fanbase. a recent west coast fighting game tournament had over a million people watching a livestream of mvc3

C) resident evil 4 was hailed by everyone and their mother as the best thing out of anywhere ever when it came out. up until then the franchise was respected greatly as is. resident evil 5 was apparently average but if that's called 'driving a franchise into the ground' then anything with a sequel ever should probably be shut down. there is no substantial series in any medium that doesn't have one book/movie/game a cut below the rest. i can't think of a single one. point being calling resident evil 'dead' is stupid.

D) asura's wrath looks sexy. but isn't it a shame when people go creating new ips with when they could be making megaman games instead? the nerve.

okay. so far so good.

E) would capcom exist as it does without megaman? no. more importantly who cares? sega wouldn't exist as it does without sonic but that doesn't mean we need 5 new sonic games, or depending who you ask any sonic games ever again. when peak talent leaves, or in this case a head designer, making a shitty game becomes a real possibility and frankly all you people would have been just as pissed if it came out and was bland and boring.

capcom is megaman is an incorrect statement. the correct statement is: megaman is capcom. more precisely, a part of capcom. if you only like capcom for megaman games be my guest and boycott them to high heaven; it sounds like you're not buying anything but megaman games from them anyways. but seriously acting like this game was 100% gonna be the saving grace of videogames is foolish.

I wasn't a fan of capcom's current line up
that's cool. tons of people are. to put this in perspective for you there are tons of capcom devotees from fighting games and devil may cry and the retro side scrolling days like final fight who don't give two shits this game got canceled. i understand that 'tons' is hardly objective but you're mistaking 'true capcom fans' with 'people who really like megaman' and its an important differentiation.

last of all read this its for you

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb

edit for mirby: i can appreciate that, if this is truly the end of megaman through cancellation then its a large impact on the industry, that's just how it is. but as stated above the situation surrounding this game doesn't necessarily mean the end of megaman and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean capcom is now a bunch of dirty bastards who hate their fans

It sucks a lot, but The Derrit is right here.

Just because a game has a vocal minority pledging support on the internet doesn't mean the numbers will line up in such a way that the game will be profitable. How many people have pledged to buy the title? 250k? 500k? I don't know the margins needed for a game at this level to break even these days, but assuming that just because you and your friends are all interested in something that *everyone* is as invested is too anecdotal. Capcom has better metrics for tracking their projected product release catalog than any of us do.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors as to why it was cancelled; the departure of Mr. MegaMan, the general under-performance of the 3DS sales, possibly scheduling issues. We'll probably never know.

A world with one less Megaman game, is a world one step closer to perfection.

Here come the flames....

No flames, just a pleasant observation :)

The Legends series is the one Mega Man series that Capcom didn't completely drive into the ground the first time around. The classic series got ridiculous (Clown Man) and wasn't redeemed until about a decade later when they cared again (Mega Man 9).

The X series was incredible at first, but was highly inconsistent. The 3 SNES games were all pretty good, but 1 and 4 are usually seen as the best of that series. X7 was garbage shat out by Capcom. X8 had about 3 stages that redeemed X7, and a whole bunch that made the world glad the series was put on long-term hiatus.

The Zero games were all pretty good, but they came out in a very condensed time period. Zero 3 is probably the best of those. ZX was decent, but lacked something that was not lacking in the Zero series.

The Battle Network games started out alright, but there was no reason to have 2 versions of each from 3-6. Then there were 2 or 3 versions of each of the Star Force games. Even hardcore collectors of all that is Mega Man often disregard this series.

But then there's Legends. The original came out on the PS1 and received 2 ports (PC and N64). There's a direct sequel that improved on the gameplay, graphics, and sound quality. There's also an oddball pseudo-sequel in Misadventures of Tron Bonne. But with only 3 games, it is the smallest series (besides ZX, which is really just a DS continuation of the Zero series, hence the reason I put them together). It was the one series Capcom didn't completely abuse and repeatedly release games until they got so ridiculous or non-fun that fans didn't buy it. It's also one of the only Mega Man games to have a decent storyline, which generally isn't important in Mega Man, but there's something to be said about a good story in any adventure game.

So while in general, the world has plenty of Mega Man games, another Legends game would hardly be as problematic as further driving of some of the other series into the proverbial ground.

See? No flaming!!! Just a logical, rational explanation :)

I don't see why people can't be upset with Capcom about this cancellation. I would understand telling us to shut up if this were not an announced title or even if there was only one screenshot floating around. No, this was a high-profile announced game and a very long-awaited one at that.

About the game mechanics "feeling old": These are professional game developers. I would think they'd be smart enough to figure out a way where the game feels more intuitive than the over-a-decade-old PSX games. Then again maybe they couldn't.

Some are arguing that Capcom pulled the plug on this game because it didn't offer enough to cater beyond the niche who enjoyed the first two games and wasn't going to be profitable. Does that mean all game developers should cancel the projects they perceive to be 'risky' and just develop FPS games to be "safe" and ensure their product meets a profit quota? (Don't get me wrong, I loved Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare/W@W and MW2.) Kindly spare me lectures on your understanding of business.

I don't care if Capcom isn't lining it's pockets with gold by withholding this game from us. I care that they're not lining our pockets with this game.

Dear Game Developers,

Next time don't promise shit before you're sure you can deliver.

Love, OCRE

i stand corrected. they don't have anything like the market penetration something like Super Mario Strikers or Mario Kart has - with Mario Kart pretty much defining the cart-racing/car combat genre when it came out - but i still stand corrected :<

I don't see why people can't be upset with Capcom about this cancellation. I would understand telling us to shut up if this were not an announced title or even if there was only one screenshot floating around. No, this was a high-profile announced game and a very long-awaited one at that.

About the game mechanics "feeling old": These are professional game developers. I would think they'd be smart enough to figure out a way where the game feels more intuitive than the over-a-decade-old PSX games. Then again maybe they couldn't.

Some are arguing that Capcom pulled the plug on this game because it didn't offer enough to cater beyond the niche who enjoyed the first two games and wasn't going to be profitable. Does that mean all game developers should cancel the projects they perceive to be 'risky' and just develop FPS games to be "safe" and ensure their product meets a profit quota? (Don't get me wrong, I loved Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare/W@W and MW2.) Kindly spare me lectures on your understanding of business.

I don't care if Capcom isn't lining it's pockets with gold by withholding this game from us. I care that they're not lining our pockets with this game.

Dear Game Developers,

Love, OCRE

Ocremix needs Like buttons for this very reason.

Dear Game Developers,

Love, OCRE

Spoken like a true gamer.