Mega Man Legends 3 Cancelled

The Phalanx

I was late getting on the Legends bandwagon, relatively speaking. ...But even being late, I've been looking forward to a Legends 3 for more than 7 years.

There are not many franchises out there that hold their fans as long as Legends has. There are always die-hards and nostalgia for older franchises, I'll grant. Even if the Legends fandom is small in the grand scheme of the gaming market, the IP still had plenty of room to grow, if Capcom made a quality gaming experience.

To have the rug yanked out from under us like this, especially after making a big song and dance about getting the community of dedicated fans involved in this project? It's nothing short of insulting. Not just to the people who contributed and poured sweat and hours into the process, but to the common fan who was following along, waiting patiently to see this community tree bear fruit.

I appreciate the past work Capcom has done, and their mark on my history as a video gamer. I've been a Mega Man fan for a long time, I've loved Viewtiful Joe, Dead Rising and Street Fighter II, and other titles they've had to offer. But this is a real slap in the face. They may never had officially confirmed its release. But the level of material and publicity that Legends 3 got, on top of all of the anticipation built up over 10 years? And the fact that they did have a demo slated to come out for purchase?

As a consumer? I'm extremely disappointed. As a fan? I feel like I've been spat on. I will be strongly reconsidering any further purchases from Capcom from this day forward.

Edit:

And now this.

Dear Game Developers,

Next time don't promise shit before you're sure you can deliver.

I really hope Squeenix will bookmark that one. ;)

I will be strongly reconsidering any further purchases from Capcom from this day forward.

Well, it's the same company that tried to sell everyone 20 different versions of Street Fighter 2 back in the days.

You know, back when the only improvements were turbo mode, playable bosses and different character color palettes.

Back when they could get away with it and sell millions of copies worldwide (not to mention original coin-op versions).

Now you'd think people would have learned their lesson after having to put up with those market practice for so many years.

And if this was really a ploy to sell moar 3DS (like they did with the rushed Biohazard Mercenaries), then even worse.

Not too surprising from a business standpoint, but shameful nonetheless, cause the game ended up being a false promise.

I know Rockman fans are some of the most dedicated fans out there, so that announcement must have been quite a shock.

R.I.P. Rockman Dash. :cry:

http://www.nextgn.com/2011/07/19/new-mega-man-legends-game-scrapped/

The bottom of the article has a link to this image from a forum post in 4chan, and is probably fake. It wouldn't surprise me if this were true....

1311058720625.png

Fake, because /v/ didn't have that many posts at that time, and even then, it would have the 3 XXXs at the end of the post.

A well-made fake, but a fake nonetheless.

A friend of mine on another forum put it well:

This certainly sucks, but I doubt playing Legends 3 on a tiny screen with a handheld with 4-hour battery life would have been all that good for the game anyway.

Oh, and that link where some ditz on the Capcom twitter account blames the fans... Wow, that's pretty lame.

They can't be serious. Blaming fans for not getting involved in that whole development room thing? That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I think if fans knew that their involvement was some sort of magic prerequisite to getting the game to come out, everyone would have signed up on that stupid website and posted some garbage idea just to show support. And in the end of the day, aren't they pawning off part of the job of making a game to the fans? And if that's the case, why not be more blatant about it? Seriously, why not outsource the project to a group of talented fans and retain oversight over it to ensure quality control?

Folks, the gaming industry is weird. Capcom claims there was insufficient fan involvement in the development of MML3 to justify finishing the game. SquareEnix shuts down a decent-looking 3D Chrono Trigger remake because it violated their IP, but the only reason it became serious enough for them to hear about it was because it had so much fan support. Nintendo blatantly refuses to release 3 games that have comparatively high fan support, one of which would simply be a matter of repackaging and changing from PAL to NTSC. We support a bizarre industry.

Yeah, that 4chan post I figured was fake (this is 4chan we're talking about).

That whole twitter post thing saying fans should have been more involved, I think that was probably what killed it. Maybe Capcom didn't see as many fans getting involved as they would like and decided to pull the plug and save themselves some money. If that's the case I can't really blame them.

I wouldn't call this the death of Mega Man, but it seems like Inafune had more pull in making Mega Man games. With him gone, it doesn't seem like there's much reason to do it.

Watch Mega Man be reborn as some "Mature" game. Roll will be the love interest, and Mega Men will have an emotional past full of heart ache and he'll be bald (Bald is the new game fad)....

Sounds like it'll be like most horribly written game stories.

Game companies go with what is safe, and right now that's three things: reboots (alternatively swapped with either annual iterations or identical sequels), ports, and DLC. Capcom might be taking a page out of the current Sega playbook of business where one focuses on a few properties that have easy re-release factors, such as Street Fighter 4 and Marvel vs Capcom 3. There's still a few gems on the horizon, like Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (which I forgot is also going to be on the 3DS so I am less disappointed in my purchase of that system now), but it is definitely not much in terms of sunshine and roses. I've done my best to compile a list of upcoming Capcom published games:

• Resident Evil Revelations (over-the-shoulder style RE game set between RE4 and RE5 for 3DS, basically an in-line sequel with little-to-no gameplay changes anticipated)
  • Asura's Wrath (says its a Beat Em' Up for PS3 and 360, looks halfway interesting)
  • Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright (mentioned previously)
  • Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (A "reinterpretation" of the events of DR2, which means an almost straight port with minor differences most-likely, for PS360 and PC. Price point is $40, reminds me a lot of the UMVC3 announcement)
  • Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (12 new charachters, some new levels, gameplay modes, fighting tweaks, etc. being released and sold for $40. So for the diehard fighter fans thats a total of $100 plus whatever the DLC characters cost)
  • DmC (reboot of Devil May Cry)
  • Dragon's Dogma (open world fantasy adventure game, looks interesting)
  • Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City (says set between RE2 and RE3, PS360 and PC
  • Street Fighter X Tekken (one kickass idea for a crossover fighter that makes me happy to still hold a copy of Fighters Megamix)

I'm too lazy to research what kind of DLC is being offered for these, but I'm assuming there will be some for each. There's two re-releases (DR2, UMVC3), one reboot (DmC), two sequels (RER, REORC), two crossovers (SFXT, PLVSPW), and two new properties (AW, DD). I wouldn't even go so far as to lop MML3 in the sequel bin, since the last game made for it was made some 11 years ago. It's about as risky as a new property, so if you factor it that way, you have:

Existing material:

2 re-releases

1 reboot

2 crossovers

2 sequels

New material:

2 new properties (potentially 3 if MML3 were to come out, considering age makes it as risky as a new IP)

Also taking into account that Inafune left, that the world economy sucks horribly right now (Japanese game companies are taking fairly large hits, IIRC), and the approach to this game's development was quite unconventional. Capcom needs to stay afloat, of course, and it needs to release proportionally more material that is guaranteed to make it money than it invests in new properties. With two new IPs in the cards, I'm now not surprised that the one sequel of a 11 year old franchise was given the axe.

It sucks, but at least there's still SOME good coming out of the company. Capcom is not heartless, and I wouldn't even say its management is heartless, they just have to keep priorities. Taking that to an extreme: would you rather have MML3 come out and then have Capcom close up shop and never make any games again? An exaggeration, to be sure, but it could happen.

Nintendo blatantly refuses to release 3 games that have comparatively high fan support, one of which would simply be a matter of repackaging and changing from PAL to NTSC. We support a bizarre industry.

Off-topic, but localization of Last Story and Xenoblade has begun. Still nothing for Pandora's Tower, but 2 out of 3 is not bad at all.

http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to see the July 7th posting.

Off-topic, but localization of Last Story and Xenoblade has begun. Still nothing for Pandora's Tower, but 2 out of 3 is not bad at all.

http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to see the July 7th posting.

I did see that on their website, but until I get some official confirmation from Nintendo, I'm only cautiously optimistic. Plus, Nintendo's curt response that had no explanation of its rationale didn't exactly do much for me.

Back on topic, IGN had some comments from Inafune posted today:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1183024p1.html

If this doesn't get any better get this...

Capcom at Comic-Con was supposedly keeping ANY Megaman type cosplayers away from their booth, even kicking them out...

Don't know if that's true or not, but man Capcom is going to need some good PR.

Of course they'll show some new "awesome" game and all will be forgiven...

But wait Nintendo isn't the Hardcorez for not listening to operation rainfall!!!

[tangent]That reminds me, the other day they copyrighted a whole long list of Wii U things, including Wii Fit U, Wii Sports U, etc. Now I know as well as anyone else that copyrighting something doesn't mean it currently exists or ever will (they just don't want someone using the name, kind of like how Activision screwed up and never registered the domain name modernwarfare3.com and whoever beat them to it linked to Battlefield 3's website). Still, this suggests intent to continue pursuing the blue ocean strategy with their next console, just as calling it the "Wii U" indicates the same.[/tangent]

I'm holding out hope that Wii Fit U will feature a game where your Mii has to run away from some big robot, and the penalty for being too fat and not running fast enough is that it dies a horrible, bloody death. If you make it to the end of the stage, Mega Man (see what I did there?) jumps in and destroys the thing with ease while saying--as voiced by Ian Corlette--"By the way, I'm in the next Smash Bros. game!"

I'm holding out hope that Wii Fit U will feature a game where your Mii has to run away from some big robot, and the penalty for being too fat and not running fast enough is that it dies a horrible, bloody death

I like this

I'm not totally against the idea wii fit but it shouldn't be so family oriented(ie boring), if anything needs this kind of visceral savagery it's an exercise game