OCR02266 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Lucidic"

djpretzel

I've always loved this one. It's probably my favorite off of the album -- yes even more than the Tal Tal Heights remix :P

The harp was very dreamy, and fit nicely in with the whole song. I especially love the drums and the way they're filtered throughout the song. Really, all I can say is it fits together.

Also, I gotta say, the effects remind me of Earthbound a LOT.

Good job Chtho--.. err, I mean Ben.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It was a priviledge to be a part of this project with Ben Briggs, who brought his A-game not only with the significantly more recent "Climb My Mountain, This High" but also this particular track as well.

With a source that's only 8 measures long, you'd think it would be difficult to find/cfraft a good expansive mix to go along with it, but with some neat additions like the half-speed melody movements during the beginning, key change at 2;13 and the little rhodes solo past the 1 minute mark then you can see even then he had a keen eye for really going deep into the source material and capturing the emotive quality driven behind it.

I even said in the listening party last December this very thing in regards to his mix as well, requoting for awesomeness:

01[23:21] <Rexy> I was about to think if I ever become a masseuse, lucidic would be a contender for the jukebox >_>

So for me it's that chill you may find it appropriate for a back rub; it's a shame that he lost the project files to the wheels of a car, but even then it stood the test of time amazingly well, and that's something that a fair amount of the project has. Solid proof that the album was a success, in addition to a firm step on the progression of Ben as a musician. Keep up the solid work :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh, now this is relaxing and chill. I could probably tune right out and maybe even drift off to this one on repeat. It's a little airy and the ending goes past that and straight into spacey. Enjoyed the soloing around the 1:05 mark as well as the key change later on. Well done, Ben.

This song definitely captures the feeling of the source. You've woken up on a strange island, no clue where you are. You have your shield back, but you want your sword. So you head to the beach of the island, hoping to find it there. Dodge the octoroks, look out for the spinies and the crabs... and there. Sitting in the wake of the waves lies your sword. All the while you're looking for it, you're still waking up from your involuntary slumber. It's like you're in a dream state.

Once you have your sword, the music changes into something more familiar. And as your journey continues, you start to question the difference between dream and reality. But before then, in your initial moments exploring this island, there's a feeling. You won't ever feel it again, but it's wondrous. And I think this song captures that quite well.

Oh, and my review excerpt:

The artist formerly known as chthonic makes his mark known immediately. Buildup until 0:32, when some nice peaceful and semi-ethereal instrumentation come in. Briggs’ basic style comes in at 1:16 or so, and demonstrates his love for this soundtrack (seriously, listen to It’s My Turn to Dream and you’ll see what I mean). Main melody returns at 1:50. Breakdown at 2:10 or so, with more of his style and touch. True remix comes in at 2:38. Fadeout beginning at about 3:05, with spacey instruments to end.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The original source is a true VGM legend and Mr. Briggs' did a great job with it. It's so lush and chilling and awesome and blah-blah-blah... I can go on forever - I adore it a lot. The album is set mostly in bleak tones, but this track sticks out a bit due to it cheerfully dreamy nature. And this is quite cool! Nice work, Ben!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02266 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Lucidic"