Reason 6 is coming out and I'm trying to get you to post more in this forum...

What does everyone (2 people?) think about Reason 6? C'mon, let's get some discussion going in this board. x_x

Personally, it seems like they're making small changes on the sampling front, and one might consider them to be making small changes in general...

There's still no VST support, but I feel like they're starting to make it into a DAW more and more. I posted up on the Reason forums that I thought there should be VST and Video support in the future, a better sampler with better samples, and notation....I wonder if Reason 6 will still have Rewire support? Personally I was never a fan of Rewire....

What does everyone (2 people?) think about Reason 6? C'mon, let's get some discussion going in this board. x_x

Personally, it seems like they're making small changes on the sampling front, and one might consider them to be making small changes in general...

There's still no VST support, but I feel like they're starting to make it into a DAW more and more. I posted up on the Reason forums that I thought there should be VST and Video support in the future, a better sampler with better samples, and notation....I wonder if Reason 6 will still have Rewire support? Personally I was never a fan of Rewire....

Reason will never have VST support and Propellerhead has said so more than once. They want to keep their software a closed system since that's one of the things that makes it so stable. Rewire will always be there to slave it to your favorite DAW. I don't see that aspect going away any time soon.

I would like to see the NN-XT get upgraded but who knows if and what that'll be. I never see it high on the list of wanted features. I guess we'll have to wait and see what will happen with Reason 7. Video support and notation are also things that I don't see a huge amount of requests for.

One thing that I would like to see is MIDI out support. For those of us who use Reason/Record and nothing else, the lack of MIDI out makes it a little difficult to use hardware synths and it doesn't seem like it would be a difficult thing to implement. As a lot of things go, I'm probably in the minority with the use of hardware synths. A lot of people seem to be big users of hardware or software and not so much a hybrid of the two.

Propellerhead has stated that Reason isn't supposed to be a DAW in the traditional sense. I think that it's in a special class of it's own and I for one am happy to live with it. If I really need a more traditional type of software, I always have Reaper which fills in the gaps when I need it.

I am really against VST support. It just introduces too many possibilities for bugs etc... You can use external VST FX while using Reason very easily. On Mac this can be done with Soundflower and Reason's audio in/out.

I don't really need to use VST instruments. If I want a sound or a sample from another VST I merely export the sound and then bring it into the NN-XT. Two big thumbs up on updating the NN-XT. Include a true granular sampler for example. (not the NN-19 workaround)

As a Max/MSP user I would love to see more modular building blocks in Reason. Kong's FX outside of Kong. Thor's filters outside of Thor. AM/FM/RM outside of their respective devices. Draw your own waveform for an OSC or Modulation Source. This would make it easier to construct modular set-ups.

I am with Shaggy, I would LOVE Midi Out. But then again I have hardware synths.

Also to make things cleaner, have a mixer channel leading to the SSL mixer act as a full combinator. Where it accepts midi notes and can contain instruments. My biggest beef with using R+R is the screen clutter. Which is something I am a little personally biased on.

I've been looking to get the newest version of Reason to really kickstart myself back into making music again. I was looking at buying 5, but I wonder if I should hold out for 6 instead. If it's not any more expensive I can see waiting.

A while back I had picked up one of the newest versions of Sonar Producer and for some reason I just can't get the right creative workflow going whenever I open it. I always loved Reason for the ability to let me just start creating music instantly, while I always feel like I'm having to think hard to just get one basic thing started in Sonar. In the end I always had my specific uses for each but having not made music in forever I just need something inspiring again.

Also, I'm still on Reason 2.5, so I'll have a LOT of stuff to learn again.

I love Reason but I use Sonar Home Studio 2007 and have been a Sonar user for about 8 or 9 years, since Sonar Home Studio 2002 (which was simple, fast, and small, but extremely buggy and really really slow effect-wise x_x). When I first got Reason 3 it was incredible. Not only did it have the best samples I had heard at the time, but it was just midi, with no audio at all, and you'd just load an instrument and play...I had been using Garritan Personal Orchestra 1 at the time and it slugged along in Sonar...It was a nightmare. x_x I don't think I knew about MIDI routing software like MIDI Yoke at the time...If I did it probably would have saved my life.

So I'm looking at...either upgrade from my Reason 4 and Record 1 to Reason 6....

Or switch to Kontakt with Sonar X1 [which supports video for scoring]....hmmm.... x__x

Or, using my educational discount and switch to East West Samples and the Play Engine...

Personally, for me, the question is, can Reason compete with higher end [acoustic] samples in the future? My belief is that, with libraries like Reason Drums, Bass, and Pianos, the Miroslav Orchestra, their Session Drum loops, and loop libraries like Big Bad Guitars, it stands as a great way to get good sound without having to spend a ton of extra money (buy a new computer, since Play pretty much requires you buy a high-end computer to run it properly with East West's samples...).

Aside from stability issues, my biggest problem with VSTs is having to keep up with upgrading them. Not only do you have to keep track of what version you have installed, you often have to throw more money into the pot when a major update comes out. I have no problems paying for the software I use but sometimes it can get out of hand.

With Reason, I know things are always going to be stable and I'm spending money once a year at most to upgrade the software. My main audio computer is only a Intel Core 2 duo 2ghz with 3GB of RAM (the oldest machine in the house) and I really don't max it out. So, I'm having to upgrade that particular computer less often.

If I was getting paid more to write orchestral stuff, I may think a little differently, though. While the Miroslav stuff for Reason sounds great, it doesn't really hold up to what is currently considered 'industry standards'. Still, I am personally happy with the sound that I get from what I have.

I agree actually...I've heard about the stability issues and I do love how Record has never crashed once and run completely stable. I like the insert effects scheme that they've come up with as well, using their own standard effects.

I always said that Reason feels kind of like Linux in that you really have to do everything yourself to get industry standard sound...

I'd love to hear some of your orchestral stuff done with the Miroslav library. The demo's on the site aren't really polished or programmed....at least that's how it seems, unless you count the newer Choirs library.

As far as industry standard libraries go, there's that thing of becoming a programmer vs writing music that you always seem to have to be torn between now-a-days...Surely you also hear samples played with East West or Kontakt library samples that have no programming. I'm not biased towards good sound though...I'm kind of living in 2005 right now with how little I upgrade stuff...

As far as industry standard libraries go, there's that thing of becoming a programmer vs writing music that you always seem to have to be torn between now-a-days...Surely you also hear samples played with East West or Kontakt library samples that have no programming.

Big, popular Kontakt libraries have a lot of scripting inside of them. Look at Cinematic Strings, LA Scoring Strings, Electri6ity, Shreddage (+X). And there are musicians who program sample libraries. *cough*zircon*cough*

• 2 weeks later...