OCR00527 - Blaster Master "TI Blasta Party"

orkybash

Blaster Master 'TI Blasta Party'

Pretty average techno here, and it has its share of problems. There's a lot of dissonance in here - some of it works well, some of it really tweaked my ear. Also, you can only use a flanging so much before it starts to grate, and that point is reached about 1 minute into this 4 minute mix. Ouch. And lastly, it just didn't hold my attention very well - guess it was too repetitive or something. Either that or I'm too tired to let anything hold my attention. Oh well. At any rate, sorry, but I really can't recommend this.

• 3 weeks later...

The unique buildup of music from the beginning of the mix made me listen to TI Blasta Party further to see what it was about instead of skipping past it, and I generally liked what I heard with this one. The sound effects alone make this a noticeable track just because many of them remind you of aliens. Though a little bit repetitive, the beat here catches your ear, and I didn't feel the track tweaked my ear. The soft transitional at the 2'50" mark I could have gone without, but overall, this is a strong track by Taysiir that I enjoyed and felt was a keeper. Give it a try. It may or may not be your thing.

• 2 weeks later...

This game doesn't have that many remixes, so I for one, was excited when this one came out. I, too, love the build up in the intro until 0:41 when you can tell which music from the game is...from there, I just imagine myself playing Blaster Master again....great game, great remix! :)

I'm a huge Blaster Master fan, and I must say I really like this remix! :)

It has a very trance-like feel to it, and it's very different and distinct from all the "same-old" Blaster Master Area 1 tunes I've heard. For lack of a better word, I personally find the constant flanging and the "cooing" (like at 2:36) to be... cute. ;) The remix as a whole has a very energetic, almost hyper, feel to it. Very nice. I particularly like your percussion style here, like at 2:05 for instance. My favorite part is the bridge at 2:50... that's done so well. A smooth, surreal-sounding melodic bridge in the middle of a breakbeat trance mix... once again, very different and you work it in so well.

Overall, I think this remix is excellent! A lot of fun to listen to (especially while driving, I've found). I'd personally give it an 8.5 out of ten! Great work, Taysiir! :)

• 2 years later...

Wow...

This is a slick track...

Great variety, real creative use of the Blaster Master theme. Immaculate mix. Tons o' fun.

Taysiir's got some definite professional skill - this is the kind of guy I'd want behind the booth at a party! If he has CDs, I'd buy 'em too - free downloads be damned!

10/10 overall.

• 1 year later...

This remix nagged at me when I was listening to it. It seemed to have pretty good production and use of panning, but I thought there are some glaring issues that hurt this song. My main beef is with the underlying synth sound being in a different key than the main melody line. This seemed to be true with the bass synth as well (can't remember exactly how these went as I'm not hearing the song at the moment). It makes me think the synths (and possibly the repeating flanged drum loop) are just generic samples. I wanted to like this song since I thought the lead synth is excellent, but I think the off-key parts ruined it for me.

• 7 months later...

A lot of the drum sounds and filtering reminded me of the song "Club Thrall" from the Illegal Danish movie. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of the source, perhaps because that game repeatedly kicked my ass, but I think it's just a style thing. It reminds me of metroid music, and Im not huge on that either.

Regardless of my personal feelings about the source, this is a very creative mix with a lot of thought put into the production, especially considering the timeframe. Nice work.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Arrangement sure takes its time building and progressing, like a racecar that puts emphasis on revving up as opposed to speeding. It feels creepy and suspenseful at times, like at 1:42 when the bass is accompanied only by claps, or when the treble descends on the first tail end of the source before the percussive breaks. 2:50 provides a sunny contrast with the more carefree source section and the harp, although the reprieve is short-lived. Even the interludes at 1:25 and 2:37, though uplifting, stand out on their own without bridging any melodic or emotional gaps.

Transitions notwithstanding, this mix proudly does what it wants without overexerting itself. It's the kind of mix that randomly throws kisses at its audience, saying "so what if I don't win the race? I got other strengths!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

A 2002 mix, and I'll try and be gentle with this one.

I can see where the effect work is coming from; it's an early example of sound manipulation to give the track life, which can be noted in the synths and velocity work for the drum fills, so it's a good dynamic touch.

However, while people had beefs with the drums, I have a much bigger concern with the writing. Sure, I can understand the track being old, but I honestly swear that's no excuse to put the source melody in a completely different key to the accompaniment; it comes off as clashing dissonance and laziness to me. Even Beatdrop considered himself guilty of that technique himself in the past and had been able to rectify himself since - it's very harsh sounding.

Thankfully at 2:56, when the B section of the source came in, it managed to fit in so much more with the source material. But even then it had to regress itself by reverting back to the A theme and fail to fit it in properly.

So for me, the track feels really sloppy and difficult to even put a recommendation through. I guess if you're looking for Blaster Master remixes then it may be something, but even then you'd most likely want to proceed with caution, especially in regards to the writing.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00527 - Blaster Master "TI Blasta Party"
  • 5 years later...

Pros:

1. At the risk of sowing dissension, I love the different tonality between the original theme and the surrounding tracks and would be surprised if it wasn't intentional.  The groove track poke you right in the "unsettling and never resolved feeling of anticipation".  Might not be for everyone, though.

Cons:

1. +1 on the drums being a bit primitive, but this was OG OCRemix so that's not terribly surprising.
  2. Song structure is all over the place.