GRMRB 2011 Exhibition Match

I haven't had any time to work on mine beyond a sketch yet. However, I should still be set for Monday. If we didn't have our mixes due Monday, I would probably keep pushing it off xP

You can post your song 2 or 3 days after him, its not like in the real contest, so you can take your time and put everything in it. I think everyone will agreed with this, we prefer a good quality song than something rush.

You can post your song 2 or 3 days after him, its not like in the real contest, so you can take your time and put everything in it. I think everyone will agreed with this, we prefer a good quality song than something rush.

I'll see what I can get done tonight and tomorrow and then I'll figure out where to go from there.

So I think I'm pretty much done with my mix :D! It's a bit odd with some pretty bad transitions xD but I'm looking forward to getting some criticism on it :smile:

Just A Day In The Mines

I like it. I think you'll probably get some criticism on the polish/samples, but the arrangement is actually pretty good.

I was getting pretty impatient waiting for more GRMRB mixes, and this one doesn't disappoint!

Ah shit, that's way good xD

Even though I'm going to mark this as a major WIP, I'll still say this is my entry for the purposes of the deadline. I present for your listening pleasure (?) J & R's Epic Adventure!

...whew. Now I gotta take a break from music and remixing for a while to focus on school.

EDIT: WOW. I totally meant the R to be a D (Drill Man, DUH). Ummm, the song is about Jewel Man and Mega Man (or Rockman) teaming up against Drill Man? XP

Nice, some more mixes!

chroxic - I like some of the effects you had going on with the main melody, it seemed to fit the style you were going for well. The track overall sounds pretty muddy though, the bass and the drums are a little overpowering and aren't distinct enough in parts. Also I'd take a look at the key signature. When you switch inbetween the two themes, you seemed to have kept each in their original key, which in turn doesn't mesh well with the background instruments. Fix that up and you'll be on to something.

zach72 - This is pretty slick actually. I like the groove of the main synth starting it out. Yeah some of the background instruments could use some polish (some of the samples are a little questionable), but overall I think it's a great start. I didn't hear a whole lot of Drill Man in there, but maybe you used it as more of a background piece, I couldn't really tell. Nice work though!

zach72 -I didn't hear a whole lot of Drill Man in there, but maybe you used it as more of a background piece, I couldn't really tell.

Funny, when I was finishing it up, I felt it was more Drill Man dominated. I guess it's a bit more subtle as a lot of it is dispersed by a phrase or so into another section. And just curious,what samples were weird though? (I know my instrument choice isn't the best xD)

And as for your mix, chroxic, all I can think of is restating what SuperiorX has said. The song is cool and the effects you have going on are interesting, just the song sounds kinda murky

Funny, when I was finishing it up, I felt it was more Drill Man dominated. I guess it's a bit more subtle as a lot of it is dispersed by a phrase or so into another section. And just curious,what samples were weird though? (I know my instrument choice isn't the best xD)

I think it's partially that I'm not as familiar with Drill Man's theme. It's not quite as "iconic" or recognizable as Jewel Man's theme. I went back and listened to the source a few more times and I can hear it better now. The original theme is a lot faster paced so, that could be why, since yours is slowed down quite a bit.

The only sample I didn't like as much was the bass-ish part that comes in at 1:27-1:35. It's not terrible, just a bit muddy. I would've went with something a bit punchier or crisper, personally. It, or some variation, comes in again at 1:47-2:01. Again it's not bad, the sound of that particular synth is just a bit muddy. I think a hard hitting, crisp bass synth would be spectacular there. Something with more definition, more ooomph. Now that I'm listening to it again, I hear it at 0:35 - 0:49 as well.

Overall I like it though. Nice work.

As for an update on my mix: I have a pretty strong foundation/structure in place. I just need to record over some MIDI placeholders I have right now and then go through and polish everything up. For being the one who was complaining about taking forever to work on this, I've gotten a surprising amount done in little time. I'll probably still want it to sit at least a week or two while I tweak/re-record stuff.

How's yours coming GeekyStoner?