GRMRB 2011 Exhibition Match

Well, I'm almost done with it, this week or next, I will upload my remix. I know your in the competition so you don't have to worry about releasing your remix yet. Anyway, here we can take the time we want. Even if I think I got more lazy one this track... I think it's my best so far... I'm leveling up!

Been awhile Silvernix... can't wait to hear some Astro Man remix lovin' from you! He's got a cool theme. :smile:

I'm looking forward to my match with Geeky Stoner... but I'm pretty sure of the outcome already. :P After he finishes wiping the floor with me after the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet, maybe we can have a match. Space vs. Science. 8)

On another note, I also just wanted to drop by and say, albeit belatedly, I've enjoyed everything I've heard from you guys in this thread!

Hey Silvernix! I like how this starts, I can tell you're getting more familiar with remixing, as this sounds significantly better than some of your previous mixes. However, there are still some fundamental issues to work on.

I like how the song starts, the intro synth and bass both sound crisp and well-executed, opening up a fun, upbeat soundscape. The guitar synth that comes in at 0:13 also fits well. However, the background synth that enters at 0:15 is very muddy and really clashes with the soundscape. I'd look for a sound that isn't so harsh, something that will mesh with the other instruments a lot better. Something like a simple square lead synth would fit the sound well. 0:43 there is a really weird key change. It looks like you jumped to whatever key sig Search Man's theme is in. To avoid these awkward transitions, I'd really recommend working in one key signature, pick one and transpose both your themes into the same key sig. The whole 0:43 - 1:26 section sounds pretty empty too. I'd suggest working in more countermelodies or just background instruments to beef up the soundscape. I can hear a little bit of countermelody towards the end of the 1:26 section, but I'd like to see it played up even more. The 1:28 - 1:42 section, it sounds like something is out of key. If you're going to blend the two themes, it's imperative that they're in the same key sig. I like the end 2:35 - 2:50 section though, it's very upbeat and fun.

Overall I do like what you've come up with this far. If you can work on the big 3 things I mentioned above: 1) fixing key signature issues, 2) revisiting sound design choices (particularly that background synth at 0:15), and 3) building up the soundscape with more background instruments, pads, etc., then I think this has the potential to be a very fun, enjoyable remix.

Keep working at it! You are making good progress!

Just wanted to say that Witness My Quickness has the best use of 8-bit sound effects I've ever heard. They sound like part of the music instead of glitches. Bravo.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I plan on revisiting a lot of my older songs after the WCRG is over cause I've learned a lot in the compo and want to touch up some of these other mixes of mine.

Overall I do like what you've come up with this far. If you can work on the big 3 things I mentioned above: 1) fixing key signature issues, 2) revisiting sound design choices (particularly that background synth at 0:15), and 3) building up the soundscape with more background instruments, pads, etc., then I think this has the potential to be a very fun, enjoyable remix.

Keep working at it! You are making good progress!

Thanks I really appreciate what you said, I'm gonna check what I can do, but there's something I was wondering, how can I find the key signature of a song and change is key. I know what the key signature are, but beside that, I know nothing and it looks like all the mix I have done so far have this big problem.

For the second point, yea, I always got this kind of problem, like I said in a early post, I'm always switching instrument, can past more than 1 hours only searching for instruments that can fit, and finally get something, decent or just ok... but I think this problem will get solve with time and practice, I will revisit this song for fun, looking at what I can do.

And finaly, the 3rd point, well, that was the part that I try to put some kind of background melody and fail miserably.

I know I'm getting better and it's a relief.

Thanks I really appreciate what you said, I'm gonna check what I can do, but there's something I was wondering, how can I find the key signature of a song and change is key. I know what the key signature are, but beside that, I know nothing and it looks like all the mix I have done so far have this big problem.

For the second point, yea, I always got this kind of problem, like I said in a early post, I'm always switching instrument, can past more than 1 hours only searching for instruments that can fit, and finally get something, decent or just ok... but I think this problem will get solve with time and practice, I will revisit this song for fun, looking at what I can do.

And finaly, the 3rd point, well, that was the part that I try to put some kind of background melody and fail miserably.

I know I'm getting better and it's a relief.

So for one, there really isn't a way of "finding" the key signature of the song, at least not if you are referring to importing a MIDI file and having the key signature tagged in some way. There are two ways you can deduce the key sig tho:

1. By ear. If you're trained in music or music theory, you might be able to just tell by listening which notes are sharp or flat, and deduce the key sig from that.
  2. By looking at the MIDI notes. If you aren't trained in music, then you could just load up a MIDI of the song you are looking to remix in whichever DAW you use. The easiest thing would be to just look at the channel that has the main melody. Open up the piano roll and look at which notes the main melody is playing. If you aren't familiar with which keys are which notes on a keyboard, you should familiarize yourself with that first. Then, specifically look for which notes are sharp (the black keys). For example, if the main melody always plays F#, C#, and G#, then you know your song is in either A major of F# minor (like Needle Man, my RM in the WCRG). You can tell major or minor from what is the core, or base, note of the scale. Also major scales tend to have that more "happy" sound, while minor scales have more of a "darker" tone to them. Here's a link to a wiki article on relative scales and key sigs in general. Music theory will teach you wonders!

If you want to change the key sig, you could either adjust each note up or down however many half-steps you need until both sources are in the same key sig. Or just adjust the entire channel up or down however many semi-tones. This is different for each DAW, but I know in Sony ACID (which I use), I can just hover up a MIDI and press "+" or "-" to move the MIDI up or down however many semi-tones I want. Then just re-open the piano roll and re-check your notes to make sure you are doing it right. Once both sources are (generally) playing the same sharp notes (for example if F is F# in both sources each time), then you know you are on the right track. Also just playing both sources overlapping, if you hear notes that clash or sound really out-of-tune, that should be a giveaway that they are in different key sigs.

In regards to instruments, it can be really difficult to find what fits, especially depending on what instrument libraries you have access to. Another thing you can do with the instruments you do have, is mess around with sound design. There are countless aspects of an instrument you can adjust (vibrato, tremolo, brightness, reverb, various filters, etc.) that can alter how a single preset instrument sounds. Mess around and see what you come up with! This is one area I'm just now becoming more familiar with and there is really so so sooooo much stuff you can do to existing samples to make them "your own".

In regards to background melodies... maybe start with something simple? Take a background melody from one of the sources you are mixing and adjust some of the notes and structure of the melody to make it mesh with your main melody. Or write your own background melody within the chord structure of your key sig, to serve as a countpoint to your main melody. Even something like a long pad sound (just a long held note) that corresponds with a note change in your main melody (every 4, 8, 12, beats etc., if your song is in 4/4 time) will add some depth to your sound scape and "fit" with your song.

I hope that helps! Definitely read as much as you can about music theory (if it interests you, it will help immensely) or just play around trying out different things until it sounds right. There are a lot of helpful sources in some of the Music Composition & Production forums here too that should be able to help you out!

Wow, thanks for the info, music theory would help a lot I'm sure of it but, I still got some difficulty will all the words in english I don't know yet, and I never study in music, I start remixing just because of the GRMRB competition on OC cause I'm a big fan of Mega Man music, well anything from MM in general but anyway.... but I find this rely interesting, It's an new hobby I got on the side, but who knows a far I can get.

Wow, thanks for the info, music theory would help a lot I'm sure of it but, I still got some difficulty will all the words in english I don't know yet, and I never study in music, I start remixing just because of the GRMRB competition on OC cause I'm a big fan of Mega Man music, well anything from MM in general but anyway.... but I find this rely interesting, It's an new hobby I got on the side, but who knows a far I can get.

Hey, no problem! Everyone has to start somewhere! If you're serious about it, I'd recommend just reading some wikipedia articles on scales, key signatures, time signatures, stuff like that. It should give you a good overview of some of the basics. There are also tons of videos on music, music theory & composition, and digital music creation in general, on YouTube that would probably be helpful even if you're not all that familiar with English.