Sonic 3D Blast Panic Puppet Zone (Saturn)

noTuX

Yes, I'm back with more experimenting. And this time, I'm re-remixing the very first track I ever tried to make. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid copy of my first remix to post up (for you guys to laugh at), so I'm kinda doing it from memory.

Now then, this is a remix of the Panic Puppet Zone from the Sega Saturn (better) version of Sonic 3D blast.

Check the Original here: http://youtu.be/CHxqP9PqFfs

As you can see, the original tune is all sorts of awesome. So, I'll try my best to do it justice.

OLD WIP (thanks Necris Omega): http://soundcloud.com/necris-omega/sonic-3d-blast-ocremix-wip

WIP: http://soundcloud.com/user7666413/sonic-3d-blast-panic-attack

I've been listening to alot of different styles of music lately, and I'm trying to put it all together. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey dude, I <3 your Song of Ruin *_*

'bout ur Panic Puppet mix, I was very yummy crunch glub glub when it started, quite a tasty way of recreating the track's elements! Acid, chemical, electric.

As it progressed, tho, I went swallows burp bleh; turned a tad insipid coz, apart from the differences, this sounds almost exactly like Jacques' track. Well, it's a WIP anyway, and I expect to see how you bring your seasonings to it!

I know you're a good chef and can put your extra food in it to avoid repetitiveness, so I'm looking forward to your next comeback from the kitchen ^^

Though it's obvious that you haven't finished it yet, it sounds way too close to the source to be able to make onto OCR. But you haven't put your own twist into it yet so that is to be expected.

As for the sound choice, it does a good job of capturing the mood of the level that the original was based on. All of the little clicks and bleeps make me imagine one giant computer. I would recommend looking for some more sounds to put in there to give a more "techy" sound.

It sounds like this is coming off to a good start, I have always liked the combination of a classical piano and electronic sounds. Keep workin' on it!

Update: http://soundcloud.com/user7666413/sonic-3d-blast-panic-attack

Dang, it really sounds that close to the original? :banghead:

Since I'm still learning this particular style of music, I guess I'm being a bit too conservative. I'll be adding a new section that will throw some variation in it on the next update.

For this update, I sped up the tempo a bit. Beefed up the pads in the background, brought the piano out some.

Dude, this is really starting to come along nicely. You have already improved it a lot! I love how you’re starting to play around by altering the melody and other parts. I also love your combination of strings, pads, piano and percussion. This is starting to have a nice quality sound to it. I also think that you’re setting yourself in a good position with the transition at the end of the track.

The thing that this piece has going for it is the possibilities of alteration and it looks like you are starting to take advantage of this. Another thing to take advantage of is changing the percussion rhythm whenever you can. This is the sort of piece that sounds great with lots changes and variations on the source.Also, don't be afraid to add nice little grace notes and chords to the piano.

It takes a long time to make a mix sound just right, so don't give up. It'll be worth it when you see this on the front page on OCR.

Hope to hear more of it!

The new section you added gives the whole song a completely new face. I like the direction that this is going. When listening to this, I get the picture of a computer that is starting to malfunction.

You have chosen a nice variety of sounds to give this piece a nice authentic sound. I already starting to see many differences when comparing it to the original.

Balance is not an issue at all. I can easily hear all of the parts without any trouble. I can't wait to hear what you have planned for the rest.

Excellent work here, I can see all of the detail that you have put in and it is showing off nicely. I love the new section that you put in that uses all of the sound effects from previous sonic games. (I can actually name what game each one is found in)

If you are trying to get this song onto OCR, I would recommend putting more of your own stuff into the mix. You already have a nice twist on the original, and you have also inserted some of your own stuff, but I have noticed that that you keep on refraining back to the original. The number one problem with remixes that have been rejected in the judge’s panel is because they have been too conservative.

I love what you're doing here, and I really want to see this on the OCR front page! Keep up the good work!

Ah, now, things have more shape here \@/

I don't find it to be much conservative, now... I love the SFX section and the interpretation at 2:01-2:32. The main problem, I think, is that it starts to feel sparse at that mark. What comes afterwards is what the beginning has to show, with no more adds n' flourishes.

Yeah, just 20% more, please! :sleepdepriv:

Arrangement seems pretty good to me. Its got variation, but source is obvious and the new mood is pretty cool.

The production, while ok, has some minor issues that hold this one back. It seems like the mids are a little too strong in this, there is a weird percussion element (at first I thought it was the bass, its hard to tell) that keeps bothering me, its too loud and slightly piercing. The mixing is ever so slightly muddy as well, I'd say the piano has a touch too much delay, i'd considering bringing down the Decay. The SFX seems to have a low pass filter on them, which doesn't sound right to me. I think bringing up the bass and bringing down some of the other backing instrumentation (there is too much to specifically name) might help balance this out. It seems a little too busy for the laid back style. Alot of this stuff is nitpicking, but I feel it all adds up to make this less likely to pass.

So to recap: Bring down the mids, try and balance out the mixing, and I think you might get a passable mix. Good luck :)

Just because I'm a stickler about it...I'd prefer not to have to download your WIPs in order to listen to them. Tindeck.com is pretty awesome for hosting tracks and streaming them online. :)

Also, having all your updates in your first post helps. I just downloaded the version from your first post, only to find that there have been several updates since then. x.x

Anyways, your latest update starts off fairly well. I think I would prefer the kick-drum to thump a little lower in bass frequencies though. Your piano...might need some slight humanization. I've gotten slapped in the face by the Judges due to things sounding robotic. Also, a little EQ on your piano to make it sound a little brighter, will help the soundscape.

Some variation in the last run of things would be amazing for this as well. I will already tell you that the Judges will ask for the same thing and give you a re-submit. So be pre-emptive! :D

Alright, this one sounds pretty cool, it's weird hearing dubstep bass in a 4-on-the-floor track. The piano feels noticeably fake but I really like the little production touches you put on it (I think there's some reversed piano sfx at the end of certain riffs) that makes it work in the song. No worries there. 2:38 transition was pretty damn cool :-)

I hear what Will's saying about the balance, this could potentially use a bit more work but what I'm listening to right now sounds like it could probably pass as-is. Might not be perfect, but it definitely feels above the bar anyway. I'd love to hear what some rebalancing/mastering tweaks could do to this though.

Greatly appreciate it!

I haven't even started the EQing and mastering part yet. I have the most difficulty with it, but I'll have it straight in a couple of days.

It usually take the judges damn near half a year to get to my mixes anyway...jk.

A quarter of a year. :razz:

Arrangement seems pretty good to me. Its got variation, but source is obvious and the new mood is pretty cool.

The production, while ok, has some minor issues that hold this one back. It seems like the mids are a little too strong in this, there is a weird percussion element (at first I thought it was the bass, its hard to tell) that keeps bothering me, its too loud and slightly piercing.

I know what you're talking about. At first, this was just a retarded beat, then it sorta turned into this remix. It was part of the drum sequencing before I actually added all of the other elements. It'll be taken care of.

Also, having all your updates in your first post helps. I just downloaded the version from your first post, only to find that there have been several updates since then. x.x

I usually update all of the links when I post an update. You should be able to click on any one to get the latest. I can't ever remember my Tindeck password, so I hardly ever use it. I'm thinking about switching over SoundCloud anyway.

Anyways, your latest update starts off fairly well. I think I would prefer the kick-drum to thump a little lower in bass frequencies though. Your piano...might need some slight humanization. I've gotten slapped in the face by the Judges due to things sounding robotic. Also, a little EQ on your piano to make it sound a little brighter, will help the soundscape.

Some variation in the last run of things would be amazing for this as well. I will already tell you that the Judges will ask for the same thing and give you a re-submit. So be pre-emptive! :D

The drums will be taken care of. They kinda end up fighting for space with the wobble bass, so I gotta find a way to make the work together. I'll also be working on that piano a bit more as well. I just want to get the basic idea down.

Yes, I'm back with more experimenting. And this time, I'm re-remixing the very first track I ever tried to make. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid copy of my first remix to post up (for you guys to laugh at), so I'm kinda doing it from memory.

Thanks

Did you ever release a version of this aforementioned early remix? Somehow, someway, for some reason, I think I actually happen to have a copy of this laying around. "Blue Magic's Panic Attack" - about 3:08 minutes?

My music library's a mess, though, with a lot of artist's names hacked off (or spliced in to differentiate when WIPs aren't far enough along to merit their own unique title), and there could have easily been a mix up on my part.

Did you ever release a version of this aforementioned early remix? Somehow, someway, for some reason, I think I actually happen to have a copy of this laying around. "Blue Magic's Panic Attack" - about 3:08 minutes?

My music library's a mess, though, with a lot of artist's names hacked off (or spliced in to differentiate when WIPs aren't far enough along to merit their own unique title), and there could have easily been a mix up on my part.

Yeap, I actually named it "Pannic (with two N's) Attack" and posted it up in the WIP forums back in 04 or 05 and I submitted a finished version. I can't remember how long it was, but I do know it SUCKED SO BAAAAAD!!!!

If you do have a copy, please post it in this thread, I would love to hear it again and laugh.

I lost all of my work when my old computer died back in 07, and I am trying to collect and re-remix them.

Yeap, I actually named it "Pannic (with two N's) Attack" and posted it up in the WIP forums back in 04 or 05 and I submitted a finished version. I can't remember how long it was, but I do know it SUCKED SO BAAAAAD!!!!

If you do have a copy, please post it in this thread, I would love to hear it again and laugh.

I lost all of my work when my old computer died back in 07, and I am trying to collect and re-remix them.

http://soundcloud.com/necris-omega/sonic-3d-blast-ocremix-wip

If this isn't it, lemme know and I'll take it down.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, the piano isn't winning me over. It either feels stiff, or lo-quality bright, or both. Could be that I'm not a fan of the aesthetic choice but I guess it doesn't matter in the end.

You've got some nice arrangement ideas, and while I can basically only comment that the song feels a bit bland at times (possibly from a lack of layering), its quite solid. I say this sounds sub-ready.

Edit: for the last "chorus" possibly add some more instruments to give that feeling of impending conclusion? Other than that, good to go.

For some reason, the piano isn't winning me over. It either feels stiff, or lo-quality bright, or both. Could be that I'm not a fan of the aesthetic choice but I guess it doesn't matter in the end.

You've got some nice arrangement ideas, and while I can basically only comment that the song feels a bit bland at times (possibly from a lack of layering), its quite solid. I say this sounds sub-ready.

Edit: for the last "chorus" possibly add some more instruments to give that feeling of impending conclusion? Other than that, good to go.

Hmm. I understand what you mean. I honestly didn't think the judges would have this up on the panel so soon. I can try to do a ninja edit before the judges get to it and fatten up those pads a bit.

I tried all of the piano samples I had, but this one was the only one that sounded like it fits. I didn't really want it to sound that realistic, so I tweaked the EQing a bit to make it sound a brighter than it really is. I can work on it a bit more though.

I admit, ending a song is not really my strong point, especially when I'm juggling between quite a few mixes. :cry: