OCR02516 - *YES* Final Fantasy 'The Beginning of a Legacy'

DragonAvenger

Note: This is a project remix from Brandon Straders FF 1 project!!

Contact Information

The Dual Dragons (feat. Brandon Strader on Bass guitar)

Dan Johansen, Frank Johansen & Brandon Strader

www.thedualdragons.com

Submission Information

Final Fantasy I

The Beginning Of A Legacy

Battle Scene

We approached this tune with fresh minds, trying to step away from the cliche take on battle tracks.. leaning more towards eerie prog metal vibes. Building danger throughout the battle instead of introducing a threat as constantly staying on the same level. Here the battle starts off very focused, trying to control everything then every thing goes out of hand (due to party members dying.. Enemies having secret trump cards etc.)

Anyways, enjoy!

-------------------

The gloomy mood is very effective. I really like it. The breakdown at 2:40 is a little clunky though. The pads aren't really interesting enough to be so exposed like that.

My biggest issue however is this: I was really surprised that this was encoded at 192kbps. The highs, cymbals especially sound quite crunchy, I was half expecting this to be not much higher than 128kbps. Listening through again, I feel like the mix is just a little bit harsh overall. However, It's not a dealbreaker, so

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The mixing feels a little off in some spots, but overall I was really feeling this. Great arrangement, nice guitar chops, varied sections. Some of the sections get really liberal, and basically the entire second half sounds really cool, but pretty unrelated. If other judges are able to find source in there, I'd gladly change my vote, because this track is sweet, but It needs more battle theme, IMO.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

It's there, Andrew, just tenuous in spots.

3:38-3:50 is more obvious

3:50-4:06 is a play off 0:17 of source

4:08-4:34 is a play off 0:23 of source

I agree that the connections aren't the most solid, but I was able to pick it up quickly enough for me to count it. Aside from that, I'll agree that the breakdown wasn't very smooth overall. Still worth a nod, just something to consider in the future.

YES

• 2 months later...

4:08-4:34 is a play off 0:23 of source

Good call on that one. Didn't catch that at all hearing it, but once it's pointed out, it's clear as day. Yeah, this seemed like a pass. I liked the evolution the track had, the proggier elements, while still sounding badass. It's like a math professor you have who is a karate master. Gotta agree with many of the mixing criticisms noted, but this was still very easy to listen to.

YES