OCR02478 - *YES* Mega Man 9 & 1 'Blackout Tower'

DragonAvenger

Neblix

Nabeel Ansari

http://neblixmusic.wordpress.com

Userid: 24123

Arrangement Title: Blackout Tower

Games: Megaman 9 and 1 (if accepted put it in as a Megaman 9 remix.)

Sources:

Plug Man (MM9)

Elec Man (MM1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns0NSzqnjvA

This was my Round 4 (semi finals) remix for the Proto Man bracket of the Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011. My opponent was Willrock, his robot master was Elec Man, and mine was Plug Man. This was the first of the OCR Megaman tournaments where I got past the second round, so I was pretty happy to not only do that, but defeat my Round 3 opponent as well. All of my remixes of Rounds 1-3 were done (or mostly done) the Friday before they were due, so they were all pretty rushed and was surprised I got so far. I've been trying to get a Pendulum drum sound for a while and by Round 2 I think I found the perfect drum samples to help me out with that. I used em in all the rounds after wards. I like DnB music and my DnB sound is inspired heavily by Pendulum's "Immersion" album. Other than the sound, rhythm was taught to me by Shariq and electronic drum mixing/hit balancing I learned from Zircon's music (and his Phat Beats 101 YouTube tutorial, very good information).

When I found out I was gonna be fighting WillRock, I groaned. I don't really like Elec Man: it's happy, it's short, and it's got 80s written ALL OVER IT (I think you guys know what I mean by that). I didn't even like my own robot master (Plug Man). I would much rather have picked someone like Flash Man or Tornado Man, though they were already picked in the last GRMRB and I didn't want to be the one who picks the popular tunes again. So yeah. Putting this as a Megaman 9 remix because 1.) Plug Man is my robot master and 2.) OCR doesn't have enough MM9 remixes.

I remembered to myself that anything that's happy can be made sad or dark by simply transposing it, so that's exactly what I did. :D The dubstep breakdown is sort of inspired by a dubstep remix Zircon showed a couple weeks back, and I figured since dubstep is the trendy thing nowadays I'd try my hand at it. I mixed DnB and dubstep (as seen before in bLiNd's Blue Skies mix) and got a dirty, powerful, and apocalyptic piece of high energy in-your-face megaman music. I didn't beat Will unfortunately, because the crowd favors happier music but I'm pretty happy in general that I got to the semi finals and that going against Will I lost by ONLY 5 votes out of 33.

Synths were Zebra2 and Image-Line's FL synth Harmless. ALL OF THEM. :P (and some Kontakt 4 which I acquired back in November, so NOW I HAVE SAMPLES :D)

The drums are slices with layered amen break slices and compression/EQ.

Enjoy! It's a bit conservative, but if there's one thing I know, it's that interpretation is a good substitute for purely original sections and I interpreted Elec and Plug Man a hell of a lot here (oh and there's a synth solo). ;)

Fun, energetic track. Plenty of dynamics keeping things interesting. A couple smallish gripes.

The bass drone you use...it's really a bit overused. Add a little rhythm. Low frequencies can be really tiresome when they are constantly there.

The dubstep bass isn't executed very well. Your LFO rates are kind of too jumpy, and not synched sounding. The breakdown hurts the momentum of the track as a result.

The other thing, and this is the one that's actually a dealbreaker: the ending cuts off a second or two too soon. Can we get that fixed?

YES (cond)

• 4 weeks later...

Overall this sounded pretty solid, though Jesse has some valid critiques in the bass, and also the breakdwon synth. I can hear what it's trying to go for, but it's not feeling right. The fade at the end is abrupt, but doesn't totally kill it for me. I would like to hear a fixed version where it doesn't go that fast, though.

Overall it's a good combination of tracks, everything sounds strong except that breakdown, and even then it's just not as good as it could be, but definitely above the bar.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

From Nabeel:

"Neblix

Mega Man 9 + 1

Plug Man and Elec Man

Slightly longer silence at the end as requested.

Did not change bassline rhythm or dubstep LFO (I and plenty of others thought it was fine or at least had no gripes with it, so I'll only change it if you make it a Conditional vote for those reasons)"

Uploaded to server as 'V2'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude! the end is still fucked! It cuts off before the delay tail ends. Two options:

1. Just throw a fade on the end so the file doesn't audibly end in the middle of a note.

2. Extend the bounce until the delay actually ends and the signal is at zero.

This is very basic stuff. The track should be silent by the time the file ends.

Fix it and it's ready to go. Currently it's not.

• 4 weeks later...