Good Guitar/Drum VSTs, etc.

Greetings everyone,

I am looking for some good guitar and drum sounds (either virtual instruments or soundfonts is fine, whatever) and am not sure where to start looking.

I would like them to be FREE, if possible, since I am still learning how to mix and thus do not need expensive/high-quality sounds...but obviously I would like the best possible quality that can be found with free instruments.

If anyone has any pointers/recommendations/advice, etc., please let me know. Thanks so much.

-ContinueTheEnd

Free good guitar vsts are hard to come by it also depends on what type of music you're looking to compose but pettinhouse has free/light versions of its vsts and it's accustic guitar vst is really good even if it is just the free version. The only downside is that you need Kontakt or the Kontakt player. The site also has free versions of it's two electric guitar libraries... they're not as impressive as the acoustic, but they are free and they're not atrocious. I think the site also has a few free drum libraries I believe. If not, the Kore player comes with a really good basic drum sets.

Guitar? Free? Ha!

Ha!

Hahaha!

... Ha.

... ha... *cricket chirp*

That set aside you'll need to shell out a LOT of money for good guitar samples. Electri6ity is $400, but you need Kontakt 4, which is $400 more.

Shreddage (+X) is $70 total (insanely good rhythm guitars that can fool almost everyone except the experienced guitarists themselves), but you need Kontakt 4, which is $400.

Otherwise I've seen the Pettinhouse stuff in action and it's decent. Go with that. :-D It won't be much but it's a start.

Alright thanks everyone I will try the Pettinhouse guitar stuff...I've already got a couple decent drum kits that should suffice (one from Darkesword's site) and one "Heavy Guitar" soundfont that sounds like stuff from the Mega Man X games....

I find it funny that guitar virtual instruments/effects are so expensive relative to everything else...you can get a practically complete orchestra library for free that sounds pretty good, but you can't get a half-decent sounding guitar for less than 400$? Wow...

what Nebix said, electric guitar is really difficult to emulate with all of it's articulation and whatnot. Although if you were to buy individual instrument sets, such as sample modeling's The Trumpet and Sax Brothers or even though they're orchestral instruments they run pretty high too.

Yay a vocaloid thread!

And this has been a long time boiling but oh my God you guitar hard-ons need to get a life. Your misguided elitism is whats killing the experience for promising amateurs and hobbyists. Of course nothing is going to compare to a talented guitarist on a quality guitar doing quality work with a quality setup. The point of samples are to substitute that as best they can for someone who can't afford to get that.

After that, you're supposed to swallow hard, accept what you have to work with, and make some killer music with it. No one gave a shit about Mega Man X (SNES)'s soundtrack having just above the shittiest MIDIest guitar samples around because the music guys made it rock anyway.

Use what you have to work with, write good compositions within it, mix it to the best of your ability and put it out there with confidence and you will find an audience. If you do that with Shreddage - awesome. If you do it with Ele6tricity - even better. Your audience won't care what samples you use, they just want to rock. End of story.

Wow - that really felt good to rant after months and months of watching you guys bicker about that shit.

As far as recommending free drum samples - the following soundfonts should suffice ok until you can afford some good stuff:

+Hip Hop Combo.sf2

463-Rob.sf2

Alesis D4 Drum Module-full (total 500 drum samples).sf2

bennetng_8850asia_ethnic.sf2

drum_industrial.sf2

Korg M1 Drum Kit.sf2

Google those and see what you come up with.

Yay a vocaloid thread!

After that, you're supposed to swallow hard, accept what you have to work with, and make some killer music with it. No one gave a shit about Mega Man X (SNES)'s soundtrack having just above the shittiest MIDIest guitar samples around because the music guys made it rock anyway.

Use what you have to work with, write good compositions within it, mix it to the best of your ability and put it out there with confidence and you will find an audience. If you do that with Shreddage - awesome. If you do it with Ele6tricity - even better. Your audience won't care what samples you use, they just want to rock. End of story.

I totally hear you - I fully plan to use the trashy guitar VSTs that I have for now...and no, the Megaman X comment I made earlier doesn't mean I'm trying to bash the music (Megaman X has some of the greatest music of all time, no questions asked), but just the realism of the instruments used...which may not matter anyway, like you said, since people just want good rocking music.

I already have my drums taken care of - and I'm planning on getting a cheap audio interface (~85$, Tascam) for direct guitar recording, should I ever need higher-quality sound, for whatever reason.

Thanks.

And this has been a long time boiling but oh my God you guitar hard-ons need to get a life. Your misguided elitism is whats killing the experience for promising amateurs and hobbyists. Of course nothing is going to compare to a talented guitarist on a quality guitar doing quality work with a quality setup. The point of samples are to substitute that as best they can for someone who can't afford to get that.

Simmer down, there's only one guy in this thread who's being a guitar elitist. You could've just PMed him personally instead of posting a rant that's almost irrelevant to the topic at hand, because you're ranting about an issue that you brought up on your own. No one's bickering about guitars. And this thread hasn't existed for a month. It hasn't existed for 3 days.

Simmer down, there's only one guy in this thread who's being a guitar elitist. You could've just PMed him personally instead of posting a rant that's almost irrelevant to the topic at hand, because you're ranting about an issue that you brought up on your own. No one's bickering about guitars. And this thread hasn't existed for a month. It hasn't existed for 3 days.

It wasn't limited to this thread, but many over the course of the year. I just get sick of it and I can't figure out why no else does. This isn't strictly a community of professionals with all their own studios and such, this is a community of professionals and total amateur and everything in between.

I feel like there's a lot of wankery but not a lot of perspective and it goes back to the myth that there's a higher priority on the quality of the samples than the skill it takes to use them. No one's doing much to encourage the amateurs to improve themselves with the shitty samples they have and try to make something through that, as history has shown its more than possible, instead we keep wankering about the right samples and the right DAW for them and the right amps and how much award-winning professional products suck and watching high school student bicker with near-middle-age adults over stuff that just leaves the topic creator confused and even further back than when he or she came in.

So yeah, that outburst came of nowhere, but its been there looking for a foothold for some time. :)

the Megaman X comment I made earlier doesn't mean I'm trying to bash the music (Megaman X has some of the greatest music of all time, no questions asked)music.

I actually didn't see your Megaman X comment until now. That was entire coincidental.

It comes up in every genre with every instrument. If you can make enjoyable music with it, it's good, whether it's accurately simulates electrical heating inside electrical components of instrument x or the dampening of reflections in a piano of wood x. It might not be realistic, but realism isn't everything.

Anyway...

For lead, you could probably get a more expressive lead using non-guitar sounds and using an amplifier simulation (amp sim). Depending on the sound you want, you could use soft piano or harp notes and just squash (with a compressor) and/or overdrive them, or filtered saw and/or square... all with an optional highly resonant bandpass for squeals and stuff (check if you have a bandpass (BP) filter mode in your synths/samplers). If you can find sampled mic feedback and fret noises and stuff, you can use those for effect. Add some room (or hall, if you're going for that kind of sound) reverb after your amp sim to make it sound a little bigger and less dryly recorded.

For rhythm, you could get decent results with a piano. A half-decent sampled piano would be more dynamically sampled than most guitars, giving you more velocity layers to build your sounds from. Again, use an amp sim and other effects to make it more like an electric guitar and less like instrument abuse.

As for drums, try layering drums that you like (or ones you don't), just think through how loud each component of each drum should be as you create your own drum sounds from them. My sis impressed me the other day with layering GarageBand's newbtastic drum kits into something much more tolerable. Effects like reverb, compressor, gate, even stuff like distortion/overdrive can be used to further craft a cool sound out of crappy samples.

Of course, it all still has to be mixed into the track right, but that's both easier and more enjoyable if you have nicer, richer sounds to work with.

Yay a vocaloid thread!

Wow - that really felt good to rant after months and months of watching you guys bicker about that shit.

Who the hell said midi guitar was shit? I still make bang my head to that kinda stuff on vgmusic