Bastion (XBLA Action-RPG)

Soma

Why is no one talking about Bastion? Bastion is an Xbox arcade game by Super Giant Games. It's got a really beautiful hand painted art style, amazing narration, a tight complex combat system and a slew of weapons to upgrade. The music is also quite impressive, there are at least 2 songs with vocals that are excellent.

Nobody on my friend list is playing it, which is a shame. I beat it tonight and got 170/200 achievement points. The Proving Grounds are super addictive. Anyone else playing this gem?

http://youtu.be/t8cELTdtw6U Here's a link to one of the tracks from the game.

I grabbed the demo and I was freaking impressed, but I'm still a bit skeptical. Does it get any better past the demo?

Yeah, from the demo it didn't quite "click" for me. I was all "this is the combat system that everyone is raving about? why?" It seems pretty straightforward from the demo, but the real complexity of the game comes from the different combinations of the weapons. There's also the blocking/counter system which I didn't grasp very well from the demo. I was quickly addicted to it, but it seems like one of those games that gets good reviews that no one really plays. I think it gets much better passed the demo.

• 3 weeks later...

Little warning for Steam users: Bastion requires Xna 3.1 installed. Othewise it won't start at all (even if you have xna 4.0)

There is no mention of this anywhere in the system requirements, so there has been some confusion here and there.

Watched a buddy of mine playing it earlier, and it's a really fun and fantastic looking game.

One of the best use of narrative element I've seen in a long time, and the soundtrack is awesome. :)

The song you posted OP pretty much sold the game for me, from 'maybe' to 'must-have'. And I was so happy to see how it was used. EXCELLENT game all around, unfortunately I played it all day for two days straight and beat it, but it was definitely one of the most memorable games of the year and I want to marry the narrator (Logan Cunningham) okay bye

I sure hope your not talking about choice on the right at the end, because that's what I went with first, and honestly I regret nothing.

Spoilers ahead: The choice on the right is the good ending, that's the one I chose. The one of the left gives you the 'The End' achievement instead of 'The Beginning', and is the bad one. From how it's been explained to me, the choice in the final level doesn't have any real impact on which ending you get.

It took me about 3 days to beat it the first time. I rushed through new game plus in one day. It's quick when you aren't paying attention to the story much. Bastion is literally the only game that I have all of the achievements unlocked in. Still one of my favorite games in the last couple years. I'm glad it is on Steam now, so it will gain a bigger audience. I haven't been on my Xbox in awhile because of school, but back when I played it, no one on my friend list was playing it.