JENOVA -- but which one?!?

ectogemia

SEE MOST RECENT POST FOR LINK

Surprise. It's a remix of one of the JENOVA songs. Which one, you ask? Please, you know exactly which one.

I've only ever written one cheesy trance mix. This, however, is my first non-cheesy trance mix -- I think it's got some serious personality for being part of what is often a cookie-cutter genre. But I digest...

Also, this is my first work that has used dblueglitch. I bet you'll hear it almost immediately :P

The drums are unprocessed and unmixed. Sorry. This is going to be a very busy week with exams, and I won't have time to work on this til Friday, so I uploaded it in this state just to see how you think it's coming along.

Thanks so much for your feedback :)

I like it so far, cool unique take on JENOVA. It's got a really nice feel to it, builds up nicely with a nice mix of sounds.

My two main complains are:

1) That crackling at around 0:30, I assume it's not my set up, but it did make me think there was something wrong with my speakers/headphones/sound card. Maybe add some more processing like a modulating filter or something to it to make it fit in more or scrap it all together.

2) Obviously it's not finished yet, so you may have this in mind anyway, but when it kicks off at 1:03 i'd like to hear a more prominent lead really take center stage and drive the whole piece on, the synth playing the melody there just doesn't cut it enough for me and sounds more like a backing line to me.

Keep it up, I'm interested to hear how this progresses!

digging this so far! the sound design choices you've made are working really well together. that big electro bass that comes in around :35 is slick and has just enough grit to make it really stand out.

my only issue would be similar to what anti-syne mentioned, which is that it feels like there should be a more prominent lead element taking over after the drop. but the drop that's there could also be the precursor drop - the one that's actually a build-up to the bigger drop that comes later, when everything goes nuts and all the elements come in at once. or something like that. either way, really good start so far and i definitely want to hear where this goes!

• 2 weeks later...

SEE MOST RECENT POST FOR LINK

Well, dental school pretty much has me where it wants me: in hell. I don't have much free time anymore, so I haven't been able to make too terribly many additions to this remix. Hopefully you like what's been added, because I could use a little positive reinforcement now. That being said, tear it apart if it sucks!

Ignore the shittiness around 1:06. Much work to be done on this part, yes.

On a related note, fuck anatomy and everything that has to do with the head and neck.

EDIT: for what it's worth, I addressed the issue with the glitch effect and turned it into some kind of ambient echo-y thing. sounds pretty cool. also, i just got rid of the lead in the dance-y portion and made that segment a segue into a crazy glitch solo. so now there should be NO COMPLAINTS >>>>>>>>:o.

WOWW! LOVE IT.

But I don't dig the kick and snare don't know why. Maybe it's just taste. But the atmosphere and glitch is awesome, but sometime quiet. I'm now waiting to hear the breaking in ! :)

I'm having a little trouble mixing the kick properly. I should probably scrap it and substitute in another sample. That said, I like the snare :P

The glitching part that plays throughout most of the remix is also proving pretty difficult to mix. It cuts out during some of the higher-pitched notes, so it seems like I have to open up the filter every time the pattern plays. ... buuuut I tried that. It doesn't sound so good :/ looks like another part that needs some serious attention.

The sound of this remix is awesome. I love the glitch you've got going on here.

The mixing is a little on the strange side, sometimes - it's crystal clear for some things (like the tick sounds in the drums) while it seems a little muddier in other areas (some of the square wankery toward the end, for example). Clarity with every sound will help with this genre, and you show that you can do it. (I know some of the less clear sounds are intentional, by the way, like the high & low cut instrument in the beginning, which was awesome).

I hear the connection of the song in this, but the direction it seems to be going right now seems to be a little too liberal. A single texture and wankery over it won't cut it if you're shooting for OCR. The use of the source in the beginning was great - throughout the track you'll need more stuff like that if you want a shot.

I agree with Rockos about the bass drum - it needs some more power behind it. Compression & sidechaining the bass will be your friend, I suspect. The primary drum pattern gets pretty boring pretty quickly. There are some really cool details that you have going on throughout the drum track, but the bass/hat/snare/hat undercurrent is lame. Don't be afraid to break that pattern up.

I really like the approach you've got for this. Transposing the melodies like you have is very effective when you use it, and the glitching is great. You just need some more melody and themes incorporated - I hear what you have going, but I don't think it'll be enough, yet.

Can't wait to see what you do with the next section of the song.

I addressed some of the mixing issues you had, Gario. I think the bass and kick are much clearer now, and I added another couple of layers to the snares/claps to crisp it up. I haven't varied the drums, although they certainly could use some treatment. That'll be the last thing I do because I want the arrangement completed before I write any transitions. My transitions tend to have a lot of moving parts, so I like to have all the parts in place before I decide what to do with 'em.

img.php?fid=1327

Right. The start for me seems to be a little cluttered 'round the mids/low mids, all the instruments are competing for space a bit, not sure it's a huge problem. 1:36 onwards however, is pretty good IMO, everything's pretty clear and very well produced, kick and snare included. Seriously digging the square and saw lines, lots of love gone into those parts and it shows. The glitch and FX I couldn't do better myself, they're mad-crazy good.

Gario's on the ball with this one though, I'd say it was pushing it source-wise but I wouldn't change anything you have melody-wise, that would ruin it- just add more sections *happyfacetime*.

As for the drum beat, I don't think it's as lame and boring as Garizzle makes out, just, if you're going to add more sections, make sure you mix things up there.

I love the track, I am totally not adverse to dance music, especially when it's got that glitch, chippy feel.

Good good. Keep me posted on updates.

I addressed some of the mixing issues you had, Gario. I think the bass and kick are much clearer now, and I added another couple of layers to the snares/claps to crisp it up. I haven't varied the drums, although they certainly could use some treatment. That'll be the last thing I do because I want the arrangement completed before I write any transitions. My transitions tend to have a lot of moving parts, so I like to have all the parts in place before I decide what to do with 'em.

img.php?fid=1327

Ok I got a question for you. when you did the piano part in the begining around 1:05 did you put ping pong delay on it? cause for a split second my ears almost decived me and thought the song was pumping. you can keep the delay on it but turn down the delay volume down a little bit.

Ok I got a question for you. when you did the piano part in the begining around 1:05 did you put ping pong delay on it? cause for a split second my ears almost decived me and thought the song was pumping. you can keep the delay on it but turn down the delay volume down a little bit.

Glad you noticed :P It is a bit heavy-handed for such a mellow section, isn't it?

I've actually fixed that since I posted the version on here -- just lowered the cutoff a bit, and I added some little ambient percussive things to that piano break to make it more interesting. I also did some compression and low-cuts to tighten it up and reduce the muddiness.

And I added sidechained windchimes. You read that right.

I'll probably post that version within the week. Got a nasty exam coming up this Friday, so I won't have much time til then :(