Recruiting for a Chrono series album

Wiesty

Hey everyone,

I've had this idea brooding in my head for awhile and was thinking of just producing it on my own with local musicians/musicians ive worked with on OCR before, but I thought I'd open it up to the public and hopefully we can get something really awesome rolling here.

So basically the idea is to have a Chrono series album (Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers, Chrono Cross) with music arranged in more groove based genres such as Jazz, Soul, Blues, Funk, Prog, etc. with more emphasis based on arrangment and performance of the songs. This album will require much collaboration between the arrangers and musicians to produce something that feels very natural and smooth as opposed to over quantanized/mechanical (for a more musical example of what im hoping to achieve, there is always alot of music coming out of OneUp studios that is crafted in this fashion....). I'm hoping to finish with an album of hopefuly 15 or less songs so that we can focus on quality over quantity. I have no pre-planned song list per say, anything from these three games is fair game as far as I'm concerned, and there is plenty of great material. Yasunori Mitsuda is a very jazz/prog orientated composer and his works lend themselves very well to improvisation and jazz orientated genres. If you are at all interested in helping out with this project, whether you be an arranger, musician, album artist, site builder, please PM me and let me know and hopefully we can get you on board. I'm hoping that we can create something really original, genuine and memorable here, and hopefully we can assemble an awesome team.

Hope to hear from you!

Chrono Trigger's music translates OK into jazz, but the rest of that is going to be pretty hard I might think, especially prog. What is endearing about the Chrono series music is how simple and easily digestible the songs were, which is Yasunori Mitsuda's trademark and secret weapon.

There's already been a jazz arrange album for Chrono Trigger and a project OCR did for CT already.

If I may suggest, it might work better to draw up interest and in general if you limited it to 15 songs from Chrono Cross. I think that soundtrack would translate better into prog/funk/etc based music. Chrono Trigger's been done to death whereas there is still stuff to mine from CC.

I'm definitely not trying to rain on a parade here, you can take this post with as much salt as you like, but most of the interest in projects, at least from my perspective, has gone toward existing projects in development of which we're plenty full up on anyway. Consider it.

I think you should allow any genre but orchestral. :<

And I would be on board to do a tune at some point, and hopefully others would too.

Though you might have more luck simply doing a Chrono Cross album with a specific track list for people to choose from. And considering CT and RD have albums, making an CC album is not a bad idea.

If it means getting more people on board, id be happy to open up the genres to include things such as rock etc, but mostly genres with improvisation, and genres which are not heavily over-refined (i.e. electronica etc.)And it'd be awesome to get you on for a tune Brandon, you can AIM or pm me if you have any questions.

Maybe I'm being to loose (?) with the term improvisation, but I'm definitley going for a non electronica, sequenced based sound. For examples, almost anything coming out of OneupStudios, especially The One Ups (secret of the forest, aquatic ambience, anything off of volume 1) would be a good example.

Other examples (?)

-Midnight Club at Corel (red tailed fox/shnabubala)

-Short Skirts (djpretzel, vigilante)

Hopefully I'm a little clearer now ha.

Yurp I would like to see more info such as deadlines and stuff like that, but I could see myself grabbing a couple claims for this that I was planning to cover ANYWAY, like

, and

You should ask a lot moar people personally about joining this in addition to the thread :-D

Edited by Brandon Strader

The track set is really open to any of the Chrono series, so if people tend to want to remix more Chrono Cross songs, then i'm sure the album will be mostly Chrono Cross. Its mostly to celebrate/pay tribute to Mitsudas work during this period and put a cool twist onto it, rather than be a chrono trigger, or chrono cross remix album. Personally I've only played a bit of Cross, and while I'm familiar with a fair bit of the music from it, i'd be a bit ahead of myself heading a chrono cross specific album, IMO. That being said, if it worked out that the album was like 80% Cross, I wouldn't complain. I want to keep it open to the mixers to choose what they want to mix, as I think pre-planning a setlist can kind of pigeon-hole people into mixing something even if it dosen't jump out at them right away.

Heck, Chrono Trigger is my favourite game of all time...

But Chrono Cross's soundtrack was a million times better.

I don't see ANY problems with a Chrono Cross album.

I had an awesome/silly idea that people may even mock me for too. Haha

Chrono Cross had the two dimensions right?

Have the "Home Dimension" mixes as being really somber and calm.

Then have the "Other Dimension" mixes as being really upbeat and more aggressive.

Though, say the track "Another Mabuure" doesn't need to only be on the "Other Dimension" disk or whatever.

So each track has the ability to be done twice within different styles.

( Thought of that while thinking of a Chrono album idea to the same effect, except with seven different styles pertaining to the different time regions (Prehistory, Antiquity, Middle Ages, Present, Judgement Day, Future, End of Time)).

Let the making fun of begin.

I kinda agree that this project should focus mostly on CC. Maybe a little CT as a bonus. Since CC has two dimensions, it can easily become a two-disk album.

BTW, if this idea does indeed become a project in the future, would anyone be against me sliding one of my already finished CC tracks on to this album? It is on my YouTube channel and I didn't really want to submit it to OCR, yet I would like to expose it to more people.