Nosgoth Midnight (Soul Reaver - Ozar Midrashim Remix)

Long time since I posted anything here so have a linky: http://tindeck.com/listen/sfrc

Can't say I had much to work with as the original tune is very minimal, but still brilliant in the way that it perfectly fits the atmosphere of the game. I was going for the same feel with my first version of the remix but decided to make it faster, and I'm still in a dilemma if it was a good move.

This is still far from done, arrangement is still incomplete/needs to be worked on and I'm not satisfied with the electric guitar sound - might record a real one when I get it in my hands some of these days. Also I'm thinking of using a bass guitar for the bassline instead of a synth, and maybe a different string patch, gonna try as many options as possible with this remix. Mixing/mastering could probably use some work too but I'll leave those details for now and wait until I complete everything else.

Feel free to comment, whether it's critics, suggestions or just pure hate :P

EDIT: Source:

I can't offer any criticism or help You as I'm not musically talented. But I created an account just to say I have been waiting FOREVER for someone to remix this song. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before!

I sure hope You finish this, it's a beautiful piece, the original and I'd love to see at least one amazing Ozar Midrashim mix up on this site! Good luck! You are officially a legend.

I'm glad someones finally showing this game series some love with a remix,and man you picked the intro song for a remix? good choice

I, much like Altaire, also lack musical talent or skill but i will say you did a damn good job so far

I will say i agree with Lord Shrubb3ry aswell that a true bass guitar would really add to your remix (i love the sound of the bass :3)

Either way dude you got something good going on here keep refining this bad boy and it will be amazing. good luck :D

Wow, thanks for the positive comments, been working all day to complete the arrangement, now I just gotta finish up the minor details. While I'm doing that, you can listen to what I've done so far here: http://tindeck.com/listen/sfrc

Couple of things I'd like to revise:

1. Seems kinda short, although currently I've got no ideas to expand it without it getting boring... gonna have to wait for a wave of inspiration.

2. Still having dilemmas over bass guitar vs synth bass - I really think that synth fits the tone of the song better. Gonna experiment with it some more.

3. Transitions from verses to the 1st and 2nd chorus are kinda bland, need to improve those a bit.

4. Drum patterns get repetitive at some parts, gonna make them vary a bit more.

Just wondering if You've heard this version before;

in comparison, this one feels a lot more powerful than Yours, I think Your mix would sound brilliant with that little bit of fierceness too.

But I am a noob, and You are the master of Your own track, so go go, make Me and the rest of the OC community a Soul Reaver song to remember!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This sounds pretty cool as a first-draft WIP, but it's got a lot holding it back if you're aiming for the OCR bar.

Opening is atmospheric, but you can totally make it even more atmospheric. Stretch that out, add some more ambient noises, really build up the suspense.

Once the strings come in, I can already tell what your main issue is going to be: samples. Really, this needs some higher quality samples (there are free ones out there that should do fine). Just spend some time hand-tweaking and really getting up to your waist with getting the sounds and sequencing just right. There's a lot of free soundfonts and soundpacks for synth1 (which is also free), so there's no excuse to not improve these! :)!!

The fake guitars are, like, REALLY fake. Recruit a real guitarist to give this some flavor. When doing guitars, it's very hard to get by without either getting a real guitarist or paying for a good sample pack like Shreddage.

Sequencing on everything is pretty stiff, most predominantly the synths and drums. Speaking of drums, they're quite muffled in this mix, so possible seek out another set (a set that would be great here is something like HardRockDrums.sf2. Again, just go out there and use google resourcefully and just try things out. You'll know when you've found a few winners cause they'll just start to really improve the mix.

This is also a bit on the repetitive side and never really gets going, so consider doing more with the arrangement to spice up the flow.

You've got a good base here, seriously. Just gotta get down and dirty with the "vamping" 8)

I'm glad someones finally showing this game series some love with a remix,and man you picked the intro song for a remix? good choice

I, much like Altaire, also lack musical talent or skill but i will say you did a damn good job so far

I will say i agree with Lord Shrubb3ry aswell that a true bass guitar would really add to your remix (i love the sound of the bass :3)

Either way dude you got something good going on here keep refining this bad boy and it will be amazing. good luck :D

I second that.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that the first 30 seconds or so are up there with the best. I wouldn't worry that it's too short, you've plenty of material here and considering how minimimalistic the source is you're best off tweaking it to perfection at its current length than wasting time trying to drag it on longer.

Really, really nice piece though, well done.