Guile's Theme (Street Fighter II orchestral arrangment)

ole jason

http://soundcloud.com/thekraken/guile-theme

With the SF tunes I like to leave the melody and form more or less true to the source material. I try to leave my mark with the arrangement of the accompaniment and the rhythms. My goal is to allow the remix to stand on it's own but also be something that would work in the context of the game.

Two things I'd like to change/rework would be the intro and the melody instrumentation. I have the melody played w/ a small violin section and doubled (though mixed low) with marcato brass. I may thin out the reverb and spread the panning around a little more to make some of the more intricate parts more audible.

SONIC BOOM

I love SF. Anyway, I think this is a real sweet orchestral remix of Guile's theme. It's killer but the violin sounds like it's always to my left. Kinda screws with your head a bit. There is also a bit too much reverb for my tastes. Said violin is also a little bit quiet. I think you already know this judging by your first post.

In my opinion if you fix that stuff, this will really blow people's tits off with astonishment. Keep it coming.

Cool concept here and some nice arrangement ideas. I liked your use of low marcato strings to give it a driving feel. A few crits:

Overall soundscape is quite cluttered. Lots of instruments are occupying low-mid/low frequencies. Also, it still sounds like there's an excessive amount of reverb - could be the length of the reverb more than the "wetness" really. It sounds like too much verb on the percussion could be a big offender.

Overcompression is also an issue here. Whenever it builds to a cymbal crash or loud section the sound distorts pretty bad. This is likely a result of the aforementioned two issues as well as perhaps your mastering settings.

Finally, gonna second Ruk that there are some wrong notes here. At :18, :26, 1:28 and 1:37 the low strings are playing a half step too low I believe.

There's some nice additions on the arrangement side, but as you mentioned, this one plays it pretty close to the vest. If you're planning on submitting this, you may either want to extend it further or at least do some additional interpretation/expansion/personalization of the theme.