Research into reactive music games

schnoo

Hi guys! I have talked to a couple great dudes on here: HyperDucks and Anosou. I was wondering if you all could help out with some research.

I'm trying to find what I think are called reactive music games: games like Vib Ribbon, Beat Hazard and Audiosurf that use gamers' audio libraries to make stages or other content.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Well you've been a little unspecific about what it is you want short of perhaps opinions so I'll give you mine. Rambling rant GO!

Music & Rhythm based games can be split into 3 distinct categories in my mind.

A) The reactive, as you've called it, where, as far as I can tell, the input/challenge is roughly and loosely determined by the intensity of the song as it has been 'scanned'. These are my least favourite because I find myself a stickler for things being 'on the beat' or specifically, for lack of a better word, choreographed. When the computer scans the song it's just looking for peaks or it's own, possibly off, BPM and the like. It seems, I dunno, somehow too disrespectful to the music to me.

B) What I inaccurately call 'Bemani'. (Konami's always done it better in my mind, fuck you Red Octane.) Scripted input stuff to songs that are either from the game, licensed, or of your own design. The most work, but notably the most enjoyable for song-by-song basis because the scripting can become notorious (ie: Can you beat Max 300?)

C) Music based games outside of A or B. Simon says style Parappa/Um Jammer Lammy or the kind of thing that Gaijin has been doing with the Bit Trip series. Good and more drawn out tunes they made and scripted themselves which your input has a limited amount to do with. Much more experiential. These are also different from B because they're not individual minute and a half long songs as much as the core of each game itself.

What I'm still waiting for is game(s) which exist in-between. One of the few examples which come to mind is that in a level of Mario Galaxy 2, platforms appear/disappear every 4 beats. It's the only example (short of perhaps bit trip runner) I can think of of rhythm-based platforming, and I would love to see a game design based solely around having to strictly choreograph your platforming in order to NOT DIE.

Anyway. I adore music games and I think we've still only scratched the surface of the genre's potential.

Hey there, I love Bemani games: IIDX/PNM fan all the way! I am also a lover of most things that came from the Q-Sound era (Capcom).

I am excited about the possibilities of reactive music games, though. I think there is a lot of room to explore there.

As for rhythm platforming: this may not be the like Galaxy but, I found this cute flash game that immediately came to mind:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Coolio_Niato/music-in-motion

**All that said: I am asking the community if they know of any games other than VIB RIBBON, beat hazard, and audiosurf that uses people's mp3s to make music. I've searched bemanistyle.com's forums for game ideas, didn't come up with much. Maybe you all also know some good websites or forums to lurch around??**

Sorry I wasn't clear. ^_^

In a level of Mario Galaxy 2, platforms appear/disappear every 4 beats. It's the only example (short of perhaps bit trip runner) I can think of of rhythm-based platforming, and I would love to see a game design based solely around having to strictly choreograph your platforming in order to NOT DIE.

You're going to really love level 7-7 ("Music Madness") of Donkey Kong Country Returns. It's exactly this, except some things aren't right on the 4 - some are on every one beat, some every 8, and so on. Some also move platforms in rhythm instead of hitting them. I feel like it was definitely inspired by that level of SMG2.

You can watch a runthrough of the level here (but spoilers if you haven't played this awesome game before):