Any SNES tech heads in the community?

Meteo Xavier

Oh yeah, I made this topic...

Anyway, it seems now that I need to replace the 62 pin connector as now games aren't showing up great on there at all (and the connector pins have seen about 20 years of use), while, ironically, the sound seems to be fine now.

Unfortunately, this business of repairing SNESs seems to have dried up over the years and no one is offering services anymore, instead offering a myriad of DO IT YOURSELF DERP videos plus unhelpful and bizarre suggestions like REPLACE IT DERP, EMULATE IT DERP or BLOW INTO THE CARTRIDGE SLOT DERP - like I'm an idiot and never heard of any of those options before.

Sometimes a man just wants to fix the machine he's got.

Not really tech savvy, but...

Did you try blowing into the slot already?

LMAO!!!! That's my fix for everything concerning a Nintendo product.

Not really a SNES tech, but an electronics tech.

Is there any sign of corrosion or dirt on any of the pins? If so, it should be simple to scrape it off with a Q-tip and alcohol (preferably, 90% alcohol). In fact, I would try that and blow it out with compressed air.

If a pin is bent, either in the cartridge or the SNES slot, CAREFULLY try to bend it back in place with a pair of tweezers.

If a wire has come loose on the inside, stop taking your anger out on the SNES when you fail. jk

It might have a component that's wearing out. Its usually really hard to spot by eyeballing it unless you really know what to look for.

LMAO!!!! That's my fix for everything concerning a Nintendo product.

Is there any sign of corrosion or dirt on any of the pins? If so, it should be simple to scrape it off with a Q-tip and alcohol (preferably, 90% alcohol). In fact, I would try that and blow it out with compressed air.

I suppose I could do it again, but really that connector pin is corroded to hell from 20 years of use. I think its time for a new one.

I had one that went bad a few years ago. It would power on, but it would come up with a black screen. I thought maybe it was something wrong with the video output, but the screen would flash as it powered on or off, and would occasionally get garbled nonsense rather than just black.

I ended up just buying a new one, but as an experiment, I put the pin connector from the old one into the new one to see if that what's the problem had been. It worked fine, so it must have been something else.