OCR02273 - Last Ninja 2 "Central Park (Metal Mix)"

djpretzel

2 words come to my mind hearing this:

Freakin...heavy...metal. It's got solid riffs and some seriously blistering solos - I could easily have seen that on the soundtrack for Brütal Legend. Very good stuff indeed. If you're a metal fan, it's certainly worth the download.

While I'm not a big fan of rock remixes, I have to admit that this one is rockin' from the get-go and it feels just like a nice cup of expresso just slammed you in the face first thing in the morning... get ready to dodge some joe 'cause it's comin' atcha!

• 3 weeks later...

Great mix. Don't know the source, but the 80s metal feel here was strong. Solid drums, sweet soloing, the synth breakdown was nice, and enough variation all around that things didn't overstay their welcome despite the 5.5 minute running time. As said, if there's a fault it's in the fade-out... typically if a rock/metal track's gonna fade out on soloing it's a nice long fade, this one just felt a bit abrupt, especially right in the last second or so. Still awesome though.

Nice, powerful stuff, especially around 1:40 and 2:10. Synth breakdown is good, but as was said before, it is a tad too long. Solo is awesome, but comes in way late and is abused for the very abrupt fade-out.

For some reason I get a strong 80's vibe from this mix. Makes me want to put on a red headband a denim jacket and watch some Van Damme movies.

Hell yeah!

• 3 months later...

With a name like Commando 64, I'm hoping you do an actual Commando mix down the line :razz:

Jest aside, this is actually a strong arrangement provided within the realms of the C64 community. Oftentimes when coming towards sources like this one may be expected for something almost entirely close to the source due to their complexity, though while there has been some change-ups here and there in regards to melodic progression it retains that familiarity with those familiar with the Last Ninja source material. The harmonics work at 2:10, though a little sour sounding at one point, can be seen as a key element for expansion, as was the more down-beat section at 2:35 set to offer a slight builddown towards going towards the rest of the track. The sweeps coming in at 4:50 were also very sublime, based around the last 30 seconds of the source; and it goes to show Commando's colors as a lead player as well.

This might've been a rambled paragraph, but to cut it short: C64, well personalised, nice playing chops. :wink:

Production-wise we have clear recording values for the guitar, though I can't help but notice the drums felt a little flimsy and didn't quite match with the quality of the synth instrumentation. But for what they are they fit the tone of the track appropriately. What seems to be the splitting decision more than anything though, and I believe it's been said already, is the weak fade-out ending which also involves the solo in it as well. I can understand the artistic direction given the nature of the source material, but in a genre like metal you've got to find more of an explosive way to finalise it.

As it is though, we've got a huge amount of promise from Commando 64, and I really hope he returns to OCR some point in the future with a stellar followup. I'll be keeping a hold on this one!

I love all the ridiculously showy dive bombs and shredding on this. It's like a ninja is shredding up stuff with his katana! This is definitely great fight music, and the only thing that I think that could be better is the ending.

Overall, a great track, and some powerful playing- I'm definitely excited to see what Matt comes up with next! :-)

Good stuff, I'll take any good metal mix any day :) . I think the rhythms would benefit from a heavier sound to them for this song, it'd give them more oomph. Otherwise, I like the rock & rolling feel this song has. I have to agree with djp & the judges on the ending - what a copout to a generally solid mix! Continue with some soloing before an end or something!

I'd love to hear more though!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

That intro is sick and hard-hitting as hell! Now this is the kind of thing I think of when I think of action, fighting, and maybe ninjas in the park. I've got to agree with the badass 80's feeling from this, especially in the purposeful guitar shredding. Sweet drumming near the second minute. The breakdown was a great break from the guitar and I didn't think it lasted too long, but I can see why some might. Freaking insane soloing and ending for this amazing ReMix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02273 - Last Ninja 2 "Central Park (Metal Mix)"