Guitar Question

If you have a real good amp, don't use software. Mic your amp. (if it's a good one I mean)

Otherwise, yes, plug directly into your computer. Don't get a mixer, get an audio interface with good pre amps. I can only vouch for the Audio Kontrol 1 but it is discontinued.

This^ and you would need a impendence box or a preamp to plug your guitar to a mixer, which is what I do, but you would still need a interface to reduce noise and slight midi stress on your pc.

So what's the difference between an interface and a mixer, and why should I go with an interface?

I need something cheap, so I'm looking at this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6572/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mixers/Behringer/MX400_-_4-Channel_Line_Mixer.htm.

It sounds like that's not what you're suggesting though...

So what's the difference between an interface and a mixer, and why should I go with an interface?

I need something cheap, so I'm looking at this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6572/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mixers/Behringer/MX400_-_4-Channel_Line_Mixer.htm.

It sounds like that's not what you're suggesting though...

An interface is an external sound card either by firewire or USB. A mixer is just a hub for audio signals through 1/4 or 1/8 jacks. Some have neutrik connector inputs.

You want an interface because that will double as your sound card so the audio processing will be done in the interface instead of your motherboard. Interfaces also have pre amps, so when you try to record your guitar your computer won't play it as super SUPER le quiet.

Okay, so something like this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6277/Pro_Audio_Recording/Soundcards/Behringer/UFO202_-_USB_Audio_Interface_with_Built-in_Preamp.htm?

I'm glad they have something in my price range :)

Just out of curiosity, if you were to mic an amp and then run it through a virtual amp on the computer, would it sound funny because it's going through 2 amps?

Yes, but don't get that one. It doesn't have the same kind of input jack that guitars use.

Just out of curiosity, if you were to mic an amp and then run it through a virtual amp on the computer, would it sound funny because it's going through 2 amps?

Absolutely not. I've gotten a good high gain metal tone by putting a software amp through another one.

stop talking about stuff you don't understand please, sonic.

OP, you're looking for something that's USB based and has a 1/4" line input, right? something like this would be a good choice. you could definitely go cheaper, but if you're going to spend a bit of money you might as well get something decent. i've got an m-audio mobilepre - similar to this, older model - that i've been very happy with for the 150$ i paid for it.

Just a note about that interface that prophetik linked. It feels absolutely flimsy, I used it at my school a year ago for a Music Production. The chassis feels like hollow plastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if that thing shatters if it accidentally falls to the floor. If you must get that one, keep it in a safe location, away from places where it could get knocked to the ground.

A few higher ups here like PrototypeRaptor recommend this http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxblackjack/

Not only does it have a unique angled designed but that thing looks real sturdy. Like, REALLY sturdy. Metal and all that. It has more input options as well.

Thanks guys

I really can't go that high right now...I'm basically looking for the cheapest thing possible. The cheapest one I could find (at Long and McQuade's at least) was this.

Is it really important enough to spend way more than that though? I wouldn't be doing anything really intensive with it, and I would make sure it wasn't abused...

I guess I could get this if absolutely necessary.

• 3 weeks later...