OCR02274 - Super Metroid "Avien"

djpretzel

So the ghosts come back to haunt us, do they? That's my impression of this and well when I saw the title I had to give it a listen. I'm sure all of us remember Avien's submission and this works not only as a tribute to him (and other remixers that have passed since then) but also as a stand-alone remix, mixing the subtle atmospherics expected from a Maridia-based track with poignant, yet not overpowering vocals and a steady, solid harmony line.

Well worth the listen, and worth the download.

This is... gorgeous. It's sending chills down my spine. I love the empty, hollow soundscape. The otherworldly sound produced from the intro is great.

When the meat of the track comes into play I feel that the mixing clutters a little bit, and the drum beat is somewhat dry and unfitting, but other than that it really evokes a neat sound. I really like this one.

If this is but a taste of what is on the non-OCR anniversary album then I can't wait for tomorrow, man. This is awesome.

I was not expecting this, but I'm so glad it came. This is the perfect, absolute PERFECT way to celebrate the 25th Metroid anniversary. Thank you Mr. Pretzel. Thank you very much.

I never knew Avien passed away, actually, but that's so sad to here. His track of Relics of the Chozo was also my favorite.

This song fits perfectly for a Maridia music. The piano is a must have, and the way it's used here is both pleasant and unique. The voices are used very well, and the beat works very well with everything.

Listening to this again, I have to agree with djpretzel: this mix is absolutely amazing in the space that it creates. I could get lost in this for a long time -- in fact, I think I will right now.

Thank you Theophany. First Full Moon Cello, now this -- seriously, keep the goodies coming. :)

beautiful remix, maridia was always one of the most haunting areas of SM for me and this expands on it very nicely without losing that feeling. the mixing is a little jarring in places but it is impressive how dense this is while still feeling very intimate and lonely. a fitting tribute both to metroid's anniversary and to avien's tragedy, happy birthday and rest in peace respectively

Listening to the track now, and enjoying its design. Epic, haunting, melodic, and an insane atmospheric chorus.

(reminds me of one of the the chilling tracks in the Ghost in the Shell series)

Now that is on a level, very few composers actually reach. Well done.

And to the M series, another anniversary.

"Haunting", "Empty", "Hollow"... all words people have already used to describe this piece, and to be honest I can't think of any others that fit better. This mix truly sounds like something that belongs in a horror game/video. I love it. When I find an artist that produces something great, I have to look to see what else they've done, and why do I not find it a surprise that you've mastered a couple zelda themes as well?

Mister Theophany, even through the digital effect of this mix, it sounds delicate, just like Maridia should. Keep up the good work, sir.

noumenon has always been one of my favourites and i cant imagine a better tribute to the person who created it. words like 'empty' dont do justice to the intricate detail of this track, especially in its use of negative space. i love how the instrumentation evokes avien's track, and with the vocals and the crackling vinyl create an almost overwhelming sense of loss. like djp said this is something more than just a remix.

Wow, that's really all I can say about this remix. The first time I entered Miridia on the SNES version I knew I had entered something unique in Metroid and I felt shivers go down my spine. This mix took those shivers to a whole new level and I can't wait to see more!

Wow, that's really all I can say about this remix. The first time I entered Miridia on the SNES version I knew I had entered something unique in Metroid and I felt shivers go down my spine. This mix took those shivers to a whole new level and I can't wait to see more!

Thank you for the kind words. "Avien" is part of a tribute EP that I've just released on bandcamp.

Please check it out:

http://theophany-rmx.bandcamp.com/album/crystal-flash-ep

Edited by Theophany

Hollow and empty are words that are thrown around and indeed, the piece is sparse on instrumentation; the piano dominates, with synth elements, voice and a bit of subtle drum on it. The ambiance and beauty with the lush sounds are ponderous and the original song shines quite well. Maridia is a popular-ish song to remix for a reason, with its unnerving beauty. This reminds me oddly of House In a Heartbeat.

The good is all the instruments sound great and the filter over the quieter parts brings a nice balance so that they don't flag against the more instrument heavy parts. The flow and feel of the piece is self-contained-it's not quite a rondo (a song to be repeated several times) like all video game music is. It comes to a mournful end and the wistfulness is palpable.

The bad-the more heavily instrumented parts of the piece have the various instrumented parts competing and sounding a little crowded to my ear. This song could have taken advantage of the stereo, but I understand you wanted to have this done before the 25th anniversary of Metroid. As others have mentioned, the drums are stereotypical trip hip hop don't quite do what they might otherwise could.

Overall, it appears to be a song you really put thought into, even if some elements feel rushed (I could never aspire to equal the work, let it be said) and it's gorgeous, one of the best songs I've heard on this site. It'll be listened to as much as Kindred was, I think for me. Any weaknesses is covered by the emotionality of the work and the generally great samples.

I've just now spent the past hour raiding on WoW and every few minutes I've had to tab out just to play this song again and again. Now that I see you've made a mini ablum, all I can say is "DUDE!"

You're definatly one to follow

Kudos chap, kudos

I've listened to this song about a dozen times now, and it's a firm choice for my OCR playlist. I really appreciate the ambient, haunting atmosphere in songs like this; and after reading the background of the song, I think it lends a mourning respect for Avien.

Very well done.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02274 - Super Metroid "Avien"