Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Blood on the Asphalt - History

Shael Riley

I'm going to have to drop out of this project as I don't have time.

- I just moved from one apartment to the other (and we're still finalizing the leasing papers which should be done in 2-3 weeks).

- My wife is expecting, and as the date draws near, I'm finding less time to sit down and write music.

- I'm trying to manage my website/projects and it's taking more time than I had anticipated.

I apologize for not doing this sooner: I didn't see this thread for a while.

If by November or December no one takes the vega pieces, I would be more than glad to work on them.

There's no deadline. I've been really relaxed about letting people submit their WIPs at the level of completion and pace they're comfortable with. Do you kids think this could be contributing to our recently stunted progress, having passed the initial concept stages of the project and gotten into the meat of it?

People seem to be very excited, show me an early WIP, and then drop off the face of the earth.

Would it be easier for everyone if I said "get your final WIP in by this date or you're out of the project?"

To me, that would just seem to exclude certain people with demanding schedules or a slow creation process and I don't want to do that, but I will if it's the only way to get results.

Thoughts?

There's no deadline. I've been really relaxed about letting people submit their WIPs at the level of completion and pace they're comfortable with. Do you kids think this could be contributing to our recently stunted progress, having passed the initial concept stages of the project and gotten into the meat of it?

People seem to be very excited, show me an early WIP, and then drop off the face of the earth.

Would it be easier for everyone if I said "get your final WIP in by this date or you're out of the project?"

To me, that would just seem to exclude certain people with demanding schedules or a slow creation process and I don't want to do that, but I will if it's the only way to get results.

Thoughts?

KFC has the right idea. Start proactively contacting remixers who may not know about this project (if you haven't already). I agree with you in that at this point exclusion is not really an option. Contact those unresponsive people and ask them if they seriously want to be on the project, or if you should just go and get someone else. Be firm about it too. You don't have to exclude them, but keeping in constant contact is always a good idea. It's something I learned the hard way with the Kirby Project.

That said, deadlines ARE good because they give people something to shoot for. Initial WIP deadlines usually call for about a minute of material by a certain date. I would say that when you've got most of your spots filled, you should think about setting up some deadline dates.

KFC has the right idea. Start proactively contacting remixers who may not know about this project (if you haven't already).

I'm in agreement here. I didn't know anything about it until 17 pages of comments were added. Contact DJP and see if he'll give the project a blurb on the front page. You'll have more interest than you can manage.

An alternative to deadlines might be milestone deadlines--say "concept by blah blah," "rough draft by blah blah," etc.

-steve

I doubt DJP will post any type of blurb on the front page about unfinished projects, partially because it would be unfair to other projects that aren't complete, and partially because...well, the project's not complete yet. :P

The best thing you can do is contact as many remixers as you can think of that you feel are qualified to provide work for the project. I mean, don't hesitate to send out a literal shitload of PMs, emails, IMs, or whatever it takes to get people to join. That's how I did it.

Haven't dropped out, just busy with getting ready for university and finding a place to live.

Still working on those lyrics - translating them from Japanese isn't working as smoothly as I'd expected. Hopefully I'll have something to post next week.

Bottom line Shael, you do what you think is best. This isn't an official Site Project yet, so nobody can really tell you how to do anything. There have been some good suggestions so far though.

Suggestion from me: at this point, individual deadlines may be more appropriate than overall deadlines (due to lack of mixers). If you told me I have one month to get at least a minute more into my track (or something), I might have found inspiration by now. IT'S YOUR FAULT I'M SO STAGNANT! Just kidding.

I think Richter has the right idea.

Blanket deadlines may have worked for similar projects in the past, but none of them had the sheer volume of tracks to be covered or mixers needed as this one. Thus, individual deadlines may be a workable solution.

So I'm going to set one right now.

If you are currently signed up to cover a track, you have until September 15th to provide me with a one-minute WIP of your submission, preferabley via a link posted in this thread--I'm not one for secrecy.

Furthermore, the aforementioned mixers who are already dedicated a one or more tracks hereby have a final deadline of November 15th, three months from today, to provide me with a final version of their WIP, preferably emailed to me (Shael.riley@gmail.com) as an attatchment or external URL.

All interested parties who sign up to cover a track hereafter will have one month to provide a one-minute WIP and three to provide a finished track, no ifs ands or buts. Failure to do so will cause the track to be re-opened for submissions from other arrangers.