OCR02469 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Ice Cap Zone Rescue'

DragonAvenger

• 3 weeks later...

The slowed down version works pretty good, but I couldn't help myself wishing for a rhythmic changeup of the blocky source chords.The dynamics are great, and the counter melodies are nice, but it feels pretty vanilla, somehow. It may just be that i've heard the track a million times. Some of the canned vocal lines dip a little out of the song's key, as well, which makes it a little awkward in spots, but they resolve fine, making it a minor annoyance rather than a song-killer.

When all is said and done, the samples are pretty good, there is a good personalization of the source, and while it's not quite doing it for me on a personal level, I think it clears the bar based on both the arrangement and production criteria.

Yes

• 1 month later...

I love the epic intro, and overall I'm a sucker for epic anything, so you're on a good track with me. Overall, I will have to say that I don't think the Ice Cap theme works as well as you'd like in this style; it's just not conveying that sense of strong emotion. Could just be me, and it's not as though it's completely out of place either. Everything is arranged well, and the counter-melodies and percussion are nice to listen to.

I'm agreeing with Andrew pretty much on everything, except I'm a lot more bugged by the vocals stuff going out of key. It's especially apparent in the first vocal line that comes in, and I think it really pulls the track down. I think if it came down to it I could go either way, but for now I'd like a conditional on the vox.

YES (conditional on vocals)

• 1 month later...

I do really appreciate the adaptation of an oft-mixed source to something unique. There's a reason that Ice Cap Zone has been tackled so many times and I'm glad remixers are still finding new ways to work with it :-)

This is overall a pretty solid attempt. It doesn't ever reaches a proper climax to me, though. Right before the outro, it feels like those staccato strings are building up to something really awesome, but then it just sort of drops unexpectedly. Also, when the section strings are playing the lead Ice Cap melody, the attack feels way too slow and the melody doesn't quite work as you'd expect. I'd suggest tweaking the articulations instead of just using that same slow attack for each note.

Production here is what I've come to expect from your work - extremely solid and engaging. I appreciate the vocal additions and the piano as well, they add some neat texture to an already-unique orchestral arrangement. I may be in the minority here but I feel like there's a few things that could be polished here, and that it would really benefit from a climax, similar to what you have going on at 1:04 but perhaps with even more of an epic drum pattern to carry it. To me, it just feels weird to have the last half of the remix at such a low energy level, considering what you achieved with that one section.

I'd like to see what everyone else thinks, I might be willing to flip my vote here but I do feel like this has the potential to be an OCR classic with a little bit more tweaking on the arrangement and a few minor production polishes.

NO (resub!)

• 4 weeks later...

I like the slowed, dramatic pace you've set here. Rich always aims for the blockbuster movie soundtrack feel and with his ability and samples [/envy] he really pulls it off well.

I hear what the other j's are saying on the canned vocals, but as Andrew mentioned, they resolve well so it's a minor point to me. Production for the most part is pulled off very nicely with clear separation of parts, even in the loud section.

The kit felt a little small in comparison to the big orchestra/choir and orch drums - especially those cymbal crashes starting at 1:21. I guess if you're going for the live recorded feel, this could be plausible, though personally I'd recommend a little more powah.

Arrangement is a very creative take on an oft-remixed track, so double props there. There's no question what's being remixed, but that doesn't mean the track is predictable by any stretch. I actually almost entered this PRC round myself as I had some arrangement ideas I wanted to try out, but time constraints kept me on the sideline - which in hindsight now sounds like a good thing. :)

I may be in the minority here but I feel like there's a few things that could be polished here, and that it would really benefit from a climax, similar to what you have going on at 1:04 but perhaps with even more of an epic drum pattern to carry it. To me, it just feels weird to have the last half of the remix at such a low energy level, considering what you achieved with that one section.

NO (resub!)

I hear what you're saying here Wes, but in my view this is more of a remixer arrangement choice vs. judge preference. If the transition doesn't work or if the arrangement choice really is off kilter to the point where it's a severe detriment to the track, I'd be on board with sending it back. As is, though, both high and low energy sections work and it's transitioned effectively in between, so personally I don't really see this an an issue with site criteria.

Yes

I'm agreeing with Andrew pretty much on everything, except I'm a lot more bugged by the vocals stuff going out of key. It's especially apparent in the first vocal line that comes in, and I think it really pulls the track down. I think if it came down to it I could go either way, but for now I'd like a conditional on the vox.

The solo vox definitely stuck out to me too, in what was otherwise an excellent arrangement. It sounded like it was meant for a key that shared most of the same notes but not all. I have to imagine the dissonance is intentional on Rich's part (or at least acknowledged), but it was a weak spot in my book. I was actually more bothered by the end than the intro, because the same solo vocal clip was used multiple times in a row, with the same off key note. Not a dealbreaker but I also think other people will get bothered by it.

The song never builds to full bombast but does a lot with controlled tension. Very nicely executed overall.

YES