Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Samus vs. Rundas "Melting Sun"

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mrvvqambhojppgn

Backup Link:

img.php?fid=1336

Source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzZqgZiLBo

One aspect I enjoy about a remix is how it can not only stir old memories but also how it can put them under a new light. When I was invited to contribute to the "Harmony of a Hunter" project, one of my goals was to produce a song that completely contrasted the style of the original song. I decided to choose one of the more recent popular tracks in the series, Samus vs. Rundas.

To write such a contrasting piece, I decided to go with something I'd never done before: a piano solo. I'd always wanted to release a piano solo, but I was never too sure how to go about it. I would always put it off for a later date. With the newly set deadline of the 25th Anniversary and "Harmony of a Hunter", I sat down and began to work.

I went through several iterations for the introduction. One version even sounded very similar to JigginJonT's "The Flooded Plain", a piece that was very influential to me. I ended up restructuring the first three chords of the original theme. At the beginning, I had included the second phrase of the battle in the arrangement. I could never quite get it to fit with the rest of the song. It just didn't work with the emotions of the rest of the song. I ended up with this little improvised part that I loved so much, that I decided to replace it in the final song.

And there you have it. I present a song that's dedicated to the memory of Rundas. Enjoy.

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting something so mellow for a remix of the Rundas battle music. But you seem to have pulled it off very nicely.

I particularly liked where it picked up at 1:50.

What kind of bugs me about it is that it calms down a bit too soon for my tastes. The climax was great, but short-lived.

But, yeah, I really like this. Great job.

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting something so mellow for a remix of the Rundas battle music. But you seem to have pulled it off very nicely.

I particularly liked where it picked up at 1:50.

What kind of bugs me about it is that it calms down a bit too soon for my tastes. The climax was great, but short-lived.

But, yeah, I really like this. Great job.

Thanks. :)

I originally had the "improv" filled with the second part of the battle, but I just didn't like the sound of it. It didn't fit the mood of the song. I'm not entirely sure if the improvised part is too long, but I love it so much, and I couldn't bring myself to cut any of it.

I'm in the process of experimenting with the "reverb" microphone. Personally, I love it. It does take some of the "one-to-one" impact of the song, something most piano pieces aim for. I like it the reverb though, it adds... a layer to it. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Does anyone have any more feedback for the song? If not, I guess there's nothing left to do, other than submit it for moderator review...

• 1 month later...

Same thing here as with your other one. The production is fine, and the song is enjoyable, lots of emotion in your arrangement and you pull the slow-and-heavy weight very well. It really depends on how well the source is received, and this one a little bit more so than the other is harder to pick out because of how slow you made it. Short of rearranging it, this song is at the point where it has the best shot it can at passing, so go for it.