OCR01348 - Super Mario RPG "Three Mushroom Dances"

I really, REALLY enjoy this mix. The variation of tempos, styles, instrumentation, and mood are quite inviting. I want to keep this on loop, but I don't want to overplay it!

I can say that the beginning strings sounded a bit shaky because of the accelerated tempo + the samples. But that's my only real quibble. I love the orchestral setup. You have done a fantastic job putting some of the best music from the Mario series into a truely classic ReMix. I hold this music close to my heart because of the personality, the humor, and the musicality. You've more than captured all of this. Very nice job. You had best keep up the good work, because I need more orchestral ReMixes in my collection!

I also enjoyed the SMW Forest lick you put in there. It was a humorous and extremely effective transition in my oppinion.

Keep it up! This is awesome!

This is a really great arrangement! The beginning actually sounds a lot like the famous Russian Dance movement from the Nutcracker. Like djp said, you can easily imagine a conductor actually conducting this.

The sounds samples aren't fantastic, but that actually doesn't bother me so much. I just think the "hall" sounds muddy, overall. The parts aren't clear, and there is very little dynamic contrast. Even the lighter parts sound about the same as the middle and ending sections, which should probably reach fortissimo.

What I especially like about your arrangement, though, is its sensitivity. I feel like I get a great sense of what you, the composer, had in mind. :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great listen. As a SMRPG fan, this is pretty sweet. Jeremy Robson, you're awesome. You always put in actual effort and creativity to arrange with good samples, which is why you are one of my favs on this site(as you also inspire me to arrange orchestral style to no avail). That probably doesn't mean anything coming from some kid, but yea. GJ :)

Jeremy has to be one of my favourite mixers on this site. I love how this remix was done, especially because I really can see a school band playing this. In terms of the mix itself, my favourite bit is probably around 5:34; the change of tempo/style here is great. I really like the Forest Maze section in general, the bassoon at the beginning, the oboe interjection, it's all good. I really don't have too many negatives to say about this mix, outside the slightly off mastering.

Good job once again, Jeremy Robson!

• 2 months later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread if it's frowned upon but I'd like to throw my two cents in here. This is probably one of my more played remixes at the moment. I love the Forest theme. I'm a sucker for orchestral arrangements, well anything with a good flute part. My only iffy note is the volume is too soft and the strings are a tad muddy. But it's definitely more than I could do so I should shut up. Excellent job! I wish my highschool band would play something like this.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Members on the first page stated that it could be played by "high school band," and that "should be telling of something." Ummmm... that shouldn't be telling of anything - there are masterpieces for a secondary school wind ensemble and one should not downplay the legitimacy of "high school band" :P

This isn't to say that I don't agree with the fact that the piece is very wind-heavy and could probably be played by a wind band, which I think is a strength. I hate when symphony composers just cake everything on for strings - if you have all of these colours for orchestral, you'd better use them!

I think that Jeremy's done exceptional work here, most particularly at the first transition (bassoon bass line; awesome writing for clarinet and oboe, I hear a little bit of Mahler in there...). I think that the strongest element of the piece is that it DOESN'T rely completely on the string section; in fact, it's mostly played by everyone else in the (synthesized) orchestra.

The ending is a little bit weak for such a boisterous arrangement - I think that the loudest part is the first/second repetition of the first theme. Still, brilliant remix, really enjoy.

• 1 year later...

This is probably my favorite Super Mario RPG ReMix, and the only symphonic piece of its kind on this site, and I love it. The forest theme is covered absolutely beautifully and how I always wanted to hear it, and everything else is a lush and vibrant palette of instrumentation.

• 8 months later...

Nice arrangement! I am a sucker for classical music, and I downloaded it before the song was over—high praise from me.

One problem: the ending was not worthy of this piece. The first time I was listening, I had no idea that the song had ended until seconds later. A boisterous piece like that shouldn't end on a whimper. Other than that, a well-executed piece. Keep up the good work.

• 3 months later...

The first 2 source themes I was unfamiliar with, but the third one was definitely recognizable. :-D

Everything was really well sequenced with the exception of the piccolo. I'm not sure why that one sounded so fake and mechanical by comparison to everything else.

Nice transitions and good ideas throughout, including some nice textures make this a solid mix. Very good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01348 - Super Mario RPG "Three Mushroom Dances"