Alesis Monitor One (yes, the old ones)

NOT THE MKII.

I'm being offered these studio monitors from a friend, yet since I am new to the whole 'home studio' thing, I am anxious about a few things.

First, I've done some research on these and I think I've concluded that they are not magnetically shielded, so if I were to use them how far away should they be kept from computer/monitor/gear etc?

Second, I've yet to get, but am on the edge of getting a USB audio interface (thinking about the M-Audio fast track 4x4) but I am not 100% they will work together: something about the Alesis monitor saying not to provide power over 200W, and I can't find anything about that on the M-Audio product.

Other than that, I would just connect the monitors to the M-audio interface via monitor--> banana plug-->TRS converter-->M-audio interface--> and then usb to computer.

I am audio engineering noob.

I'm not sure how far they should be kept away from other stuff but they should be nicely spaced.

The monitors (from my brief research) seem to be passive so will require an amp before the signal be fed to an audio interface.

You basically got the signal chain in a nut-shell though. It'd be Speakers > Amp > Interface to Usb.

How u want to connect the amp to the interface depends on the amps outputs. Hope that helps a bit!

Edit: Just for a bit of extra info, whether you get passive or active monitors is opinion, but if you do get passive monitors, the amp is an extra culprit for the altering/colouring of the sound you hear.

I'm not sure how far they should be kept away from other stuff but they should be nicely spaced.

The monitors (from my brief research) seem to be passive so will require an amp before the signal be fed to an audio interface.

You basically got the signal chain in a nut-shell though. It'd be Speakers > Amp > Interface to Usb.

How u want to connect the amp to the interface depends on the amps outputs. Hope that helps a bit!

Edit: Just for a bit of extra info, whether you get passive or active monitors is opinion, but if you do get passive monitors, the amp is an extra culprit for the altering/colouring of the sound you hear.

Thank you very much for your help. You are right, I would need an amp.

Considering that, I would end up spending $150 on amp and $200 on interface, so would it be wiser just to look for a pair of active studio monitors and end up spending $300 + $200 for an amp? Obviously this is $150 more expensive but does having an external amp provide $150 (or near that) worth of benefits?

**HEY QUESTION**

I have done some research on power amps and teachers and friends etc have been telling me to ignore the power rating of the speakers, and get a high powered amp.

These monitors say 200W peak, and in the reference manual for them it says "Also, there is no situation where an amplifier rated beyond 200 watts should ever be used because of the danger of damaging"

But what these friends teachers etc have been telling me is to get a higher amp (like the RA300 which looks much better than 150) but simply not turn it up as much.

So my question is, is this safe to use the RA300, even though in the manual it says NO?

RA300 outputs 150watts RMS per channel at 4ohm(which is what the speakers are)

• 3 weeks later...