OCR00390 - Zanac "Mode7 Medley"

Liontamer

• 3 months later...

Shame this thread had to get started over. Not familiar with the game at all, or the music for that matter. The song is pretty stock once it actually gets started. The samples haven't aged terribly well and most of the song feels too empty. The drums could have used some work as well. Would like to hear some more from this game though!

Nice chiptune mix, liked it alot. I am unfamiliar with the source though, but that did not prevent me from enjoying this, somewhat peaceful sorta mix. One thing I didn't like was the transitions. They were pretty abrupt, and the flow from one melody to the next was uncomfortable. Production is iffy at times but overall pretty well done. Nice mix, I'd say 7/10.

Really interesting and drawn out intro, it feels like it isn't really connected to the track itself, but is more like a attract mode for a game itself.

The track itself has some samples that haven't aged very well, but the arrangement is pretty nice, especially with a super understated but classy breakdown that slowly fades to nothing, then comes back with a reverse trip hop loop. The ending is a little weak, i think.

While I think this track would sound very different if it hit the site today, it's a good view of how a good arrangement and some clever ideas can hold up, even if the samples can't.

Gotta echo the previous comments about the samples, although most of them didn't bother me TOO badly on an individual basis; it was more the effect of their age across the board that got to me. Loved the little fade out - fade in move around the 2:30 mark, but not so much the fade to silence move around 2:50. Overall though, pretty good arrangement.

Yeah, I was puzzled over how the review thread for this one was completely purged. What happened? :?

It's a good and creepy intro that managed to fit itself as a good opener for this medley, if not a little bit unconventional. The way of working with the first stage theme was a good expansion; hearing the original NES synth in the background originally made me think it missed the lockdowns, but hearing it morph into the full-blown arrangement managed to help overlook it. The section at 2:40, I may admit sounded rather weird with the reversed drums in place, though the lone synth starting that section at the start was pretty neat and allowed for a good build into it. So in terms of arrangement ideas, it's somehow more unconventional for a medley but it worked for its time.

What I felt should've been given some work on prior to subbing was the drum work; it came off as feeling rather stale and uninspired, and maybe some additional layers during the reverse-loop section in particular could've helped given this a lease of life.

But again, considering the track was released in 2001, it's pretty decent for its time and can be seen as a more unconventional medley release in comparison to others in the early pre-white era of OCR. :)

The intro was fairly amusing, mostly because it doesn't even seem like part of the rest of the ReMix. The samples show their age here and while I like the idea and arrangement, I just think time caught up with this one. Fading out and coming back in with a force was a nice bit of work, but the ending wasn't the most stellar thing ever. This is yet another ReMix I'd like to hear with a ten year make over, cause I think it would do wonders.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird, I could've swore I reviewed this mix before.

This mix starts off on a weird note, and then suddenly shifts to a melodic part. I think that beginning could be pared down a lot here and it would be more interesting. Production is rough here, but the basic ideas aren't that bad for the most part. Not bad for back in 2001 in all honesty.

• 3 years later...

I honestly think this aged pretty well. The arrangement does a good job of emphasizing the dynamics of the source material, adds some nice rhythmic stuff (I love how the bass goes in and out) and the intro/outro and transitions between tracks are good.

The samples are tinny, but their style is well-chosen, and I like the reverb too.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00390 - Zanac "Mode7 Medley"
  • 3 years later...