Real name - Pete Lepley

User ID - 44763

Submission Info:

Name of game - Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Name of arrangement - Mayan Malfunction

Source names (and links) - Lakamul Rainforest

, Tomb of Palenque
, Tikal Ruins

Can't find composer data, and the game was originally made for 3 systems and has been ported to like 50 more since then. The first three were SNES, Genesis, and Sega CD. However, I only played the Windows 95 incarnation, and the remix was inspired by the reorchestrations from that version. Not sure how you want to list it though...

First of all, when I saw that Pitfall wasn't in the OCR database, I was disappointed but also really excited to start my own mix, since the game had a freaking AWESOME OST. The game also took up a very good portion of my childhood, along with Earthworm Jim, Tekken 2, and Mega Man 8. Now, onto business. So, you guys forgot about that pathetic first sub from me right? Ok, good. Time to start over. I got FL Studio in May, and started the remix halfway through the month. I discovered the Gross Beat demo plug-in for glitch effects pretty early on, and decided to buy it and take the mix out back for a good ol' fashioned Gross Beatin', and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The title is a pretty obvious nod to Mazedude's "Wily Malfunction," which is super kick ass. I drew a lot of inspiration from that and "K-Pax for Evermore," and I guess just Mazedude's stuff in general. I also think it's worth mentioning that I learned pretty much everything about production that I now know from the people on the WIP forum, so I'd like to give a huge shout-out to all the people who helped me, you guys are the greatest! I hope this track catches you as off-guard as it did Emunator, and I hope you like it as much as Level 99 did. Until next time, blokes (and ladehz)! pH

And I herd u liek sourze brekduns?

0:10 - 0:33 Palenque intro (and Lakamul outtro)

0:33 - 0:57 Lakamul melody (around 1:30 in the source)

0:57 - 1:38 Lakamul intro (after jungle drums, around 0:30 in the source)

1:38 - 2:02 Return to Lakamul melody, 'cept glitched to pieces

2:02 - 2:25 Mostly original, but there's a bassline from Tikal Ruins (~1:40), if that counts for anything. Also, props to anyone who can pick out the "Ghost of John" melody quote ;)

2:25 - 2:36 Counter melody/movement under chords from Tomb of Palenque brought to the front (first appears at 0:39 in the source)

2:36 - 3:00 Return to Lakamul intro

3:00 - 3:05 Original percussion break

3:05 - 3:17 Tomb of Palenque transition

3:18 WHOA!!

3:19 - 4:03 Back to Lakamul Rainforest, but without the melody the first time through

4:03 - 4:52 Finish things out with two sections from Tomb of Palenque which appear earlier in the arrangement (intro and counter melody @ 1:40)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice arrangement, very creative and the source breakdown makes following the progression easier for someone like me who has never played the game. ;-)

I loved the variety and general soundscape, though I felt some of the reverbs were sounding strange and kindof pumped a bit with the compression. THe strengths though really overpowered the one issue. The percussion was sick, the panning was creative and well-planned. Overall I really enjoyed this, the level of improvement over your first sub is huge. Keep improving, but this is good stuff. :-)

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

I think the arrangement is pretty sick overall. This track overall is a lot of fun to listen to, and I love the temple feeling that you retained throughout from the original. As Andrew said, the drumwork is definitely a highlight of the track. If I were to nitpick, I would say that the arrangement can feel a bit repetitive towards the end.

There is certainly some strong compression going on, and in the future you might want to keep that in mind to keep it balanced.

Looking forward to more from you!

YES

Damn this shit is loud. You're used to hearing a track pump with the kick, but this track pumps with everything. It's like there's a clear center of attention at any given time, and everything else is complete mush.

I'm a sucker for a phase-sync lead, but this could definitely afford more reverb. uh...I'm having trouble focusing. I think the arrangement is great. Lots of energy and variation. Could we please get a version where you ease off the compressor just a bit? Like, an enormous bit? Shit's ridiculous.

Great track, don't get me wrong. Really fantastic writing and arrangement, you just really super need less compression.

NO

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I listened to this back in the workshop and thought the arrangement checked out, and I still do. The drums don't always sound perfect to me, but on the whole I think we can all agree that all of the writing here is solid, and that it's a good enough take on the sources to pass OCR's bar. The glitching is all pretty tasteful and all of it integral to the song as a whole. The piano sample is super-weak, and it's actually a bit of a sore spot for me as a listener... a more full-sounding sample would really suit you better. But alas, it's definitely not a dealbreaker.

So really, the production quality is the only issue in contention. I see where Vig is coming from, and a part of me wants to agree with that. However, after a ton of listens, I just don't feel like any of the sounds are really suffering all that much from the compression. Everything is still coming through clearly and my ears don't feel like they've been completely steamrolled after listening to this... at least, not nearly as bad as Jesse's saying.

I'm okay with this as it is here, but I wouldn't be opposed if other judges wanted to go conditional on the compression either.

YES

• 3 weeks later...