Super Dodge Ball: Around the World - History

Murmeli Walan

Welcome to Around the World, the Super Dodge Ball remix project. This site project idea was created my myself and maintained by KyleJCrb and myself.

Super Dodge Ball, developed by Technos Japan and released in the US by Sony Imagesoft, is one of my personal favorite NES games. Choosing the right teams, players, and power throws to win in the two-players mode was always fun, and I have many memories involving my brother and myself hitting each other with virtual dodge balls.

The music in this game, composed by the talented Kazuo Sawa (also the composer of Double Dragon, River City Ransom, and others), is a personal favorite video game soundtrack of mine, especially in the single-player mode. Each theme, from the catchy rifts of Team England to the epic, climatic tune of Team Shadow, brings something new to the game and adds to the excitement. I want to recapture that excitement with this remix project.

In addition, I'm looking for a general overall theme for Around the World. The game featured a very ethnic feeling which was mirrored in Sawa's soundtrack. I want the artists to recreate the tracks using ethnical flavor as the artist sees fit.

OFFICIAL FORUMS ARE AT http://www.kngi.org/phpbb3. GO THERE FOR WIP TRACK DISCUSSION AND OTHER INFO ABOUT AROUND THE WORLD!

Download the original NES soundtrack at http://kngi.org/atw/OST/.

ReMix Name (Track Name) - ReMixer Name

01 - Around the World (Title Screen) - pu_freak

02 - Dodge This Sakura (Team Japan) - bLiNd

03 - Birmingham Beatdown (Team England) - hoha

04 - Dodge Mahal (Team India) - Protricity, Level 99, bustatunez, Jeff Ball

05 - Almost Frozen (Team Iceland) - Rexy, Monobrow

06 - Big Blue Ballin' (Team Shadow) - ergosonic

07 - Six Dodgeballs And A Lotus Flower (Team China) - DjMokram

08 - Nairobi Hop (Team Kenya) - DCT, LuIzA, Mega Ran, Mr. Jones, Khakolak Boy

09 - I Lost My Ball In Moscow (Team USSR) - AkumajoBelmont, Dimmignatt

10 - Lightspeed (Team All-Stars) - Andy Jayne

11 - Doppelganger (Team Shadow) - Chrono

12 - Friendly Fire (Versus Play) - Willrock, Level 99

13 - Kill Bill (Bean Ball) - Ryan8Bit

14 - A Ultima Carimbada (Ending/Credits) - 8 Bit Instrumental

15 - Go Balls Deep! (Versus Play) - Sixto Sounds

Ok, I went through Google and found a great NEFe of the soundtrack. This is exactly what I need.

I'll start thinking more about this project after the Kirby and DOOM projects finish up. In the meantime, I'm gonna listen to the Team England track and think of the awesome remix that could come from it.

If anyone wants to use this thread to throw around ideas or express interest in this project, go right ahead.

By the way, here's the nsfe link.

http://disch.zophar.net/nsfe/SuperDodgeBall.rar

Fools. USSR is the best song. And dude, I hope you don't give up on this idea. The entire Super Dodge Ball soundtrack is one of the finest on the NES, and it deserves a full makeover. Good luck!

This man speaks the truth. If I find the time I can attempt [poorly] to guitar up the USSR track. [i'm in the midst of learning how to mix and shit]

This man speaks the truth. If I find the time I can attempt [poorly] to guitar up the USSR track. [i'm in the midst of learning how to mix and shit]

For my project, I want each song to have a distinctive style. For USSR, I really want it done in the style of a traditional Russian dance. Use guitars if you want, but make it sound Russian.

That's my idea for the project right now. I want the country themes to sound like the style of music in that country. Pop or rap for the All-Stars, british rock & roll for England, a Hindu music style for India, and so on.

I just want to know if there's any interest in this project if I put it together.

I need it because I'm thinking about putting a Super Dodge Ball remix project together, but I don't want to start it until much later, after some of the other projects finish up.

A wise decision.

Right. If all of the other remixers are working on other projects, then who would work on this one?

Like I said earlier, I'll either make a thread (or bump this one if it's still alive) about this project probably after both the DOOM and Kirby projects are released.

For my project, I want each song to have a distinctive style. For USSR, I really want it done in the style of a traditional Russian dance. Use guitars if you want, but make it sound Russian.

That's my idea for the project right now. I want the country themes to sound like the style of music in that country. Pop or rap for the All-Stars, british rock & roll for England, a Hindu music style for India, and so on.

Ah, that's a cool idea. I doubt I'd be able to pull off the Russian theme as I'm struggling just making styles of music that I am familiar with. Good luck with the project though, SDB really deserves some remixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the bump...I guess...yutz.

Well, since this got bumped, I guess I'll continue with my idea. I've thought about this, and I think that I won't go with that "song theme" idea. I wouldn't want to limit the creativity of the remixers, especially with this somewhat difficult source material.

I'm also thinking about starting the project a little earlier than I planned, seeing as how the Kirby and DOOM projects are nearly done anyway.

Edit - front page edited with info.

'Nother Edit - I've decided to formally launch stage two of the Super Dodge Ball ReMix Project in June. If not on the first (I may still be on vacation then), then shortly after I return. Between then and now, I still encourage artists to send me a private message or bump the thread if they want to express interest. I've also advertised this project at the Minibosses and OneUp Studios forums, so I hope to get people from all over the remixing community to take part in this.

I PM'ed you about this earlier, I dont care what track I get I just NEED to be apart of this bad boy

P.S:When this starts I call the USA track, awesomeness in a can

I just told you this in my reply, but I'm telling everybody else.

I want an OCR-quality project here. I mean no offense to Ricter or any of the remixers on his project, and I apologize if I do, but I don't want my project to become another Hedgehog Heaven. And the last thing I want is another failed project like StarFox or any of the others in the past. If you're serious about this project, then you better give 110% on whatever track or tracks the artists choose.

EazyP: you can have the Team All-Stars (USA) track, but you better be ready to compete with whoever else might pick it. Go ahead and work on a WIP now, if you want.

(unless we don't get to choose what we remix or if we first have to qualify for the project?)

The artists can pick whatever track they want to. Later on, we'll have all the artists do a peer vote on what tracks will be included.

Also, nobody needs to "qualify" for the project. Just pick a track and make a WIP.

One more thing to announce: I will start stage two of the project on June 5th. Then, I will announce the tracks, who's already doing what (EazyP doing All-Stars, etc.), and hopefully this will get off the ground.

Edit: I lied. One other thing to announce: I've got zyko as a maybe right now.