Emerald Hill track (Sonic Hard Rock)

http://soundcloud.com/aires/emerald-hill-wip-2

DEMO 2! (im posting demos because im running out of ideas and avoiding this from being a cover by asking you guys what i should do next... lol)

AAHAHAHA.....weird pause at 20....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(disregard the below rant)

damn i hate amp sims for solos, im taking out that little shred solo, the tone sounds like shit, and I clip for ZERO FUCKING REASON THE ****

And i dont get my other amp back in weeks :P

might as well not wait and buy a peavey 5/6 or a mesa recto D.....................

You have some very well developed mixing skills but alot of this is very repetitive. A melody, B melody, A melody, B melody and back and forth right to the end. I would say that wherever the drums drop out, try a little variation on one of melodies. Take it waaaay out of context and not just the rhythm of it but all of it, and see if you like it. Also, play around with some key changes a piece that flat lines harmonically gets pretty boring.

Sonic 2 really is my favorite game of all time and that's why I will probably never touch this music myself. It seems that you captured the spirit of it well though so crack it open and see what you come up with. FINISH THIS! :)!!

Also, PM me if you want to chat. You gotta tell me everything you know about music production.

-gar

You have some very well developed mixing skills but alot of this is very repetitive. A melody, B melody, A melody, B melody and back and forth right to the end. I would say that wherever the drums drop out, try a little variation on one of melodies. Take it waaaay out of context and not just the rhythm of it but all of it, and see if you like it. Also, play around with some key changes a piece that flat lines harmonically gets pretty boring.

Sonic 2 really is my favorite game of all time and that's why I will probably never touch this music myself. It seems that you captured the spirit of it well though so crack it open and see what you come up with. FINISH THIS! :)!!

Also, PM me if you want to chat. You gotta tell me everything you know about music production.

-gar

Thank you!

I may decide to add a rhythm and lead C thats a bit original, if i decide to continue on this song.

As for mixing, ehh im not sure how I can help you.

I did post some of my secrets around here that people disliked(and i did not care to explain lmao), so um : /

Your best is to try geatslutz.com , some people there gave me tips there around late 06 07.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, Adding live drums soon!

And!!!....thats its, i might pan some and make some things louder and take out some mids but thats it.

http://soundcloud.com/aires/emerald-hill-no-drums

Last

just a tiny pointless dont read respond to my submission reply.

1.I check the mixs 4 time,its definatly mono capable (according to me and my corralation meter),unless you mean diffrent from "unbalanced".

2. Me and my peers find nothing wrong with the brass. although some people said my lead synth and brass is not loud enough, and that the brass should have some pan direction,which I will try.

3. not sure what you mean by background parts because nearly all the sounds have there own time of play,

4.not sure what you mean by "shift strangly", everyone on another fourm liked the drums but thought they sounded repetitve.

Quick reply, don't know what's already been said...

The drum beat that comes in at :38 (and again at the end) is the fucking business. But, I don't think the dance kick that comes in fits in the first part. It fits the end because you go into some sparkly synths that match it, but I would leave it out in the first part.

Horns, layer them a lot more, maybe some chorus, they sound a bit thin. Also some creshendo would sound really good there.

If your still having trouble getting out of cover range, just start soloing over the main theme and see what comes out. You might find some motifs you can repeat throughout the track out of solo.

Quick reply, don't know what's already been said...

The drum beat that comes in at :38 (and again at the end) is the fucking business. But, I don't think the dance kick that comes in fits in the first part. It fits the end because you go into some sparkly synths that match it, but I would leave it out in the first part.

Horns, layer them a lot more, maybe some chorus, they sound a bit thin. Also some creshendo would sound really good there.

If your still having trouble getting out of cover range, just start soloing over the main theme and see what comes out. You might find some motifs you can repeat throughout the track out of solo.

Interesting, I'll try to make some shred parts this. (though I really love covers : ( )

As for the horns, i'll try some parallel things to the :smile:

• 3 months later...

MOD REVIEW

Ok so this arrangement is pretty creative, alot of ideas, and good ones, very hectic stuff.

Atm this feels unfinished. Its only 2 minutes long and the last half a minute or so doesn't feel like its done to me, it sounds sparse compared to the rest of the track and makes me feel its just not done yet.

Production sounds worse when it starts off than it actually is. It takes some getting used to because 1: those bells are very piercing in the highs, and 2: everything is at the same volume. There is no concept of loud and soft here, and ultimately, this mix sounds cluttered because its not mixed basically. You need to balance it out so people have something to focus on in each section, usually this is the melody. that means make the melodies nice and clear, and make it so that while you can hear everything else, don't have them fighting for the center of the mix.

Last but not least, bring down the volume on this baby a tad. its too loud! :P

So to recap:

Too short, expand on your ideas!

Polish your ending

Fix the highs in bells (EQ in the 4-8kH rage)

Sort out the mixing

Bring down master volume

Do these things and you should have a good shot at a posted mix imo.

Good potential here!

MOD REVIEW

Ok so this arrangement is pretty creative, alot of ideas, and good ones, very hectic stuff.

Atm this feels unfinished. Its only 2 minutes long and the last half a minute or so doesn't feel like its done to me, it sounds sparse compared to the rest of the track and makes me feel its just not done yet.

Production sounds worse when it starts off than it actually is. It takes some getting used to because 1: those bells are very piercing in the highs, and 2: everything is at the same volume. There is no concept of loud and soft here, and ultimately, this mix sounds cluttered because its not mixed basically. You need to balance it out so people have something to focus on in each section, usually this is the melody. that means make the melodies nice and clear, and make it so that while you can hear everything else, don't have them fighting for the center of the mix.

Last but not least, bring down the volume on this baby a tad. its too loud! :P

So to recap:

Too short, expand on your ideas!

Polish your ending

Fix the highs in bells (EQ in the 4-8kH rage)

Sort out the mixing

Bring down master volume

Do these things and you should have a good shot at a posted mix imo.

Good potential here!

Gotcha, swore I killed all the highs on the bells and mad it dull, maybe its the multiband boost I did on the high ends.

I will lower the compression on the track to make the tracks more present (and I will drop the guitar vols). And I will drop the master to 1.0 Db or 0.

But Where should I add more, im out of Ideas? D: