OCR00448 - Pulseman "Stereo Superhero"

Ginnsu

Pulseman 'Stereo Superhero'

One thing about electronic genres is that they can get repetitive. Not just in one song but between songs. That is one thing I think Steve Pordon does a good job of avoiding here, is sounding just like something else we've all heard before. Instead he whips us up something with a lot of 303, nice weaving tunes, and some experimental samples to keep us on our toes. Nice work Steve, keep it up.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I've never heard the original (or even of the game), so I'm not sure how the interpretation stacks up, but it seems to me that things get a little mired down in repetition. THe mix seems to get a good start, but spins it's filtered and panning wheels for a few minutes before closing down.

Synths come and go throughout, but the same arpeggiated pattern plays throughout the entire mix, and it's so much in the forefront that the rest is just laid off to the side. Even the key change doesn't really help. About 2/3 of the way through the part drops out for a breakdown, but within a few seconds it is right back.

The synths are nice, but it's too repetitive for me to want to listen to more than once. After the first time, i've heard that arpeggio enough, thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just couldn't enjoy this mix after the first 30 seconds or so, unfortunately. I'm not a huge fan of this style as it is, and I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material; that coupled with the repetition made me quickly lose interest. The synths are really nice, but aside from that, it just feels like it's the same thing over and over again, and the key change at 1:17 does little to alleviate this problem.

Not really music that you can listen to intently, but, as mentioned by other reviews, it probably makes pretty decent background music if you're doing other things.

Yup, could definitely use more elements thrown in and yeah, a bit more break from that one arpeggio. It wouldn't necessarily take a lot, but it should be something substantial. The track has a really nice feel, but doesn't have enough meat in it to stand on it's own. That's a pity, I think it could be great.

--Eino

• 11 months later...

I don't think the vocal samples really fit in here, especially the "Thanks for playing" at the end, but then again I'm not really familiar with the source.

I agree with previous sentiments that this would be fine for background music, the vocal samples especially pull this remix in that direction, and that there could have been more to this remix.

• 1 month later...

I liked the integration of the voices in this track. I think this one does it properly, not thinking "play music-> stop music to deliver generic sci-fi quote-> continue with music". I like how they kind of hover in the background just beyond comprehension. Other than that, I'm not terribly fond of the high-pitched noise that occurs several times in the track, but that's just me :) Good job overall!

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Ok, when we start off, we hear a MUCH better high end synth and it sounds great. It slowly builds into the meatier sections of the song. The kick is really subdued and is lacking the better tone Steve's previous mix had. Arrangement wise, I can hear some growth in here in comparison to his previous mixes, but Steve has shown himself to be a textures man. I think the biggest issue I have is that the instrumentation in this is really groovin, but the drums just feel so lackluster. If they would have been big bold and beautiful, I would have felt much better about the mix. Personal preference tho :)!

• 1 year later...

Steve Pordon had that imperfectionalist approach to his work, but often he brings in so many ideas in regards to arrangement and variation thereof. It's a difficult source to work with as well, since it's basically one big buildup on that same 16 note rhythm pattern for most of it.

Thankfully there's been some good attention paid to it with some solid gate and filtering work done towards the countermelody synth that managed to give it some life, and some good shaking up of the progression throughout. It has this clean quality for even a 2001 mix, though it ended up similarly coming at a cost with a minimalist atmosphere and a subdued drum set that have made this age with time.

It's a cute one to see if you're a Pulseman fan though. It's obvious that it's shown a considerable amount of age, but I still found it to be a pleasant listen, even if it's nothing really too revolutionary.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00448 - Pulseman "Stereo Superhero"