OCR02277 - Metroid Prime 3 "Lore Hunter"

djpretzel

Just a reminder, velocities are a thing.

They are a thing. So are reviews that actually mean something. They are also a thing.

Just a reminder, velociraptors are a thing.

clever-girl-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-snorg-tees-snorg-tees.gif

On a serious note, I really liked this mix. The drum sequencing was quite slick, and I really enjoyed the rhodes you used. Nice use of stereo with the panned backing pads and sfx. Clarinet was...well, I wish it were something that were not incredible difficult to sequence well. It's not spectacular, but it is definitely adequate. Breakdown could have been a LITTLE more fleshed out and expanded but no biggie. Still good stuff!

Wasn't meant to be sarcastic. If I were being sarcastic I would have said something alone the lines of "Great job editing those dynamics with your mouse!"

Instead, it was a valid and concise piece of constructive criticism. I wouldn't take it so personally if I were you. :)

I'm not going to take it personally, because I actually do spend a lot of time tweaking velocities in all of my pieces, especially in this piece. Maybe it doesn't come across because I don't do really stark differences in velocities between notes, but it is something I'm always keeping in mind.

I'm not going to take it personally, because I actually do spend a lot of time tweaking velocities in all of my pieces, especially in this piece. Maybe it doesn't come across because I don't do really stark differences in velocities between notes, but it is something I'm always keeping in mind.

Really?

Well, I certainly won't patronize you by giving an in-depth example of how to humanize your parts since you claim to do so already. However, as someone who actually plays a musical instrument, might I suggest increasing the increment of your velocities ever so slightly? At least enough that we can perceive it? I assure you it will only help.

Really?

Well, I certainly won't patronize you by giving an in-depth example of how to humanize your parts since you claim to do so already. However, as someone who actually plays a musical instrument, might I suggest increasing the increment of your velocities ever so slightly? At least enough that we can perceive it? I assure you it will only help.

I do know how to play an instrument actually; I played trumpet for a number of years before switching over to mainly composing. :)

kaijin;801696 wrote: Really?

Have you ever listened to anything else darkesword's made? If not, I suggest you hold back further comments before you further humiliate yourself. If he made the piece less dynamic, he meant it to be that way.

As for my thoughts on the piece, I like it but find to be just okay. Something about it felt like it was lacking...something, although I'm not sure if it's really the velocity. I think for me it's the underlying bass that doesn't quite sound/feel right. Regardless, it's still a good piece, even if it's not your best.

Have you ever listened to anything else darkesword's made? If not, I suggest you hold back further comments before you further humiliate yourself. If he made the piece less dynamic, he meant it to be that way.

It's okay, kaijin's entitled to his opinion.

As for my thoughts on the piece, I like it but find to be just okay. Something about it felt like it was lacking...something, although I'm not sure if it's really the velocity. I think for me it's the underlying bass that doesn't quite sound/feel right. Regardless, it's still a good piece, even if it's not your best.

I seriously forgot how defensive people can get on this site. Yes, I've heard his previous works. What does any of that have to do with my post?

Even if he has demonstrated a fundamental understanding of dynamics in the past, he still could have forgotten to use them this time around, thus a simple reminder doesn't hurt anyone. I swear, it's as if I have to go back and add three or four lines of fluff about what he's done right in order for anyone here to accept a valid critique. I'm sure Darke knows what he did right and doesn't need me to point it out.

I see no problem with the velocities, and the arrangement is very nice and enjoyable. If you felt the velocities were really that bad that you were unable to enjoy the song, then that's really your problem... The sample quality on the other hand, leaves a bit to be desired. ;P But on the whole, very good effort.

blah blah blah everyone's attacking me i want my mommy

Anyways, love this. The first time you showed it to me (completed), I was instantly surprised when I heard the Metroid Prime 2 cameo. I remember the song from when I was sifting through the Metroid Prime 2 soundtrack in order to cook up a tracklist for my project. I was only looking for tracks that were able to be remixed and it was one of the ones that I wasn't sure if it could be done. You just proved it could, so on the tracklist it goes!

I like the latin-style grooves here and while I agree with BS on the sample quality, it's nothing that detracts from the production. The sequencing here is top notch, especially your drums (as always). Love those gated choirs in the background and your use of the clarinet has very strong ties to a lot of your old stuff that I listen to.

Great job, glad to see it on the front page after hearing it incomplete (for a couple years now?) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Props for pulling off a Metroid Prime piece. I don't know if other people feel this way, but it seems to me that the music from the Metroid Prime games is, in many ways, so ambient and indistinct to begin with that it's very difficult to make ReMixes of them that are both good and recognizable. You managed to do it beautifully with this.

Just a couple of things: I have to agree with the critique (though not the manner in which it was made) about dynamics and velocity. I think that adding a little bit more variety to it might "flesh it out" somewhat. I liked the changes in the underlying percussion through the song, but it did get a bit repetitive. I would say that some variety in the arranging for the other instruments would have go a long way, too. (Though, in all fairness, I know that sometimes there's a very fine line between acceptable and overly liberal when it comes to ReMixes).

Overall, though, the cool jazz feel to it is a great choice. It really seems to work very well for this particular part of the score. This is definitely a ReMix worth downloading.

I've refused to comment on this one for quite some time, I should do that now though.

It took me a while to get into this one. I agree with the comments about the velocities. If there were some more differences between them - in the drums especially - it would have made this better.

I do want to commend for how you implemented Luminoth's story. I absolutely LOVE the source, and to hear it in this fashion was weird, but it worked well.

Not my favorite piece from DarkeSword, but it's cool nonetheless.

Lol @ people complaining about velocities. I think it's fine. Seriously 9/10 people who will visit this site and listen to this remix will probably not care about velocity or even notice.

As for things that are far more important. Production = Everything sounds pretty clear to me. Well, I would've liked the melodies to be a little louder though. I like the drums and the woodwinds especially. Samples and all that sound good. Arrangement = No complaints really. Good and relaxing. Could maybe use a little more variation each time around but meh I still loved it.

Overall I like it. I guess you'll never please everyone though. Great job Darkesword!

• 3 months later...

This is certainly one of the more organic tracks Shariq has done. This piece goes a more mellow route, although the drums still see some action throughout. It still manages to keep some pace despite its mellowness, which I've always seen as a trademark of some of Shariq's tracks. It might be a tad on the repetitive side for some, although I'm fine with it here. It's a nice enjoyable piece for listen every now and then in the background to me, which is what it aspires to be as far as I can tell.

• 10 months later...

Nice, very nice! This is one of those smooth tunes that walk that fine line of being sneaky and lively. The production sounds good, and I greatly enjoyed the way the drums where used here. They just seem to move the ReMix along in a smooth, slick pace. Probably one of the better jazzy/latin sounding pieces I've heard in a good while.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02277 - Metroid Prime 3 "Lore Hunter"