OCR01349 - Final Fantasy VIII "Everything = Nothing"

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Still one of my absolutely favorites on OCR and among video game arrangements period.

Personally, I don't know how well the sequencing pulls off being realistic. Bryan certainly did a good enough job for me. The sound of the bow movements and the string harmonies were extremely emotive.

I would love to hear this on an official arrangement album, without the losiness of the 112kbps encoding. It's that good. Given further fine tuning with the sound quality, it could have easily closed out a dramatic battle in an blockbuster Hollywood film.

• 10 months later...

I wanted to do a remix of this source, myself, hoping that no one else did an amazing rendition of it. It is one of my very favorite Final Fantasy songs (perhaps next to Kefka). Damnit, you beat me to the punch! This remix is great, and I hope everyone on this site can at the least give it a listen - they won't regret it!

The source itself was amazing, and you didn't detract from it one bit. Wonderful.

• 1 month later...

This is an utterly beautiful rendition of this song. It is just as dramatic and moving as the original if not moreso. I love the slow build and that you didn't add too many instruments or make it too busy. I was afraid of listening to a remix of this particular song but I'm so glad I did!

• 1 month later...

I've always loved 'Compression of Time' while playing FF8. Everytime I heard it, I felt the..nothingness..the despair in its tunes. What you did with it was absolutely brilliant. At first I said there's no way, but now that i've listented to it, I have to say "you did it!" IT was simply brilliant.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on your first OCRemix mix!

This is a wonderful arrangement of a spectacular source. The soundtrack of Final Fantasy VIII has always been one of my absolute favorites, and Compression of Time is one of its most underrated songs, so this piece was extremely welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Like a lot of people have mentioned before me, the slow build-up really adds to the innate atmosphere of the song.

Very well done, indeed, I can't wait to hear more remixes from you.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I will go so far as to say this mix can be interpreted several ways:

- Not simply poetry in motion, this is poetry on the MARCH. Progressive yet introspective, merciless at the front of the activity bulk but beautifully calm in the center, it's a storm that both destroys and revives the entire landscape in one gradual sweep.

- In a gracious nod to the source name, this embodies the concept of time. Thundering drums keep the measured, unstoppable pace; shaky strings echo regrets, nostalgia, and other longing-based emotions that humans feel when they think about time they will never get back; and progression-wise, the atmosphere creeps up on us loomingly (like fast-approaching deadlines) and departs in the distance (making us say "where did all the time go?" and "life can pass you by").

- Need a physics textbook? Just pluck some physics terms from here, since many can be said to be in this mix (some previously noted): weight, force, friction, momentum, compression (lol), you name it.

If this were the real song played during Ultimecia's time compression spell, sign me up for the end of the world.

• 11 months later...

Surprised that Sefiros didn't post this here himself. Anyway, Sefiros has put out a new version of his 2005 remix "Everything = Nothing" (May 2012). It can be downloaded here:

http://music.sefiros.co.uk/track/everything-nothing

I'm not sure it's necessarily a better version of the song, unfortunately. I'd really like to see someone with crazy production skills -- like zircon -- redo this track (you know, short of getting an orchestra to do it).

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01349 - Final Fantasy VIII "Everything = Nothing"