Street Fighter Done Tekken Style

So I'm stoked as hell for SFXT. March better hurry.

I thought it would be cool to make a medley type remix of Street Fighter themes done in Tekken's sort of Psytrance style. I'll add in the trippy sound effects once I get the whole arrangement done. I do want to throw in some Tekken themes too. I'm open to suggestions for other SF and Tekken songs to mix in with this. I'm trying to stay away from using the cliched SF II songs. So maybe Alpha and SF III. I'd also do some Final Fight stuff since Poison and some other FF characters are in it.

Right now, for this intro/verse thing. It's a remix of Sakura's theme.

Let me know what you guys think. I hope I can get this sub worthy.

http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/cross-the-line-wip4

EDIT: Towards the start there's a weird pop sound. This is not on my wav. or project file.....something must have went screwy with the upload =/

Dude, I'm a HUGE Tekken fan, I grew up on Tekken 2. I'm really hearin some

, I think it'd mesh nicely, but obviously arrangement is up to you. Also I'm not too fond of your string sample, the attack seems a little long. That may be fine for the longer notes, but for the faster moving passages, they don't articulate well enough. Write sommore and I'll crit sommore!

pH

Dude, I'm a HUGE Tekken fan, I grew up on Tekken 2. I'm really hearin some
, I think it'd mesh nicely, but obviously arrangement is up to you. Also I'm not too fond of your string sample, the attack seems a little long. That may be fine for the longer notes, but for the faster moving passages, they don't articulate well enough. Write sommore and I'll crit sommore!

pH

Thanks! I can screw around with the attack on the strings though. Yeah, Lee/Chicago could work in there! We'll see what happens lol

I dig it. I'm a street fighter, and never really got into Tekken very much sadly. But with Street Fighter X Tekken , our universes collide! I hope more music like this is the result.

I like the change in sakura's main line theme, but the transition between the 0:28 and 0:31 needs something. It's anti-climactic, like the rest of the song is just a bed for another instrument you haven't put in yet? I'm hearing a squealing guitar,

Also around 0:40, the long ending note could be used to fade out with those trance effects, not just fade in a few moments later with freestyle.

Sounds good to me so far, cant wait to see what other songs you can add.

As for another song, how about Moonlit Wilderness with Akuma's MvC3 theme? I'm sorry to say it'll probably be more awesome with Akuma and not Ryu's.

This is a new version of Moonlit Wilderness for TTT2. Maybe that'll sit in better.

I dig it. I'm a street fighter, and never really got into Tekken very much sadly. But with Street Fighter X Tekken , our universes collide! I hope more music like this is the result.

I like the change in sakura's main line theme, but the transition between the 0:28 and 0:31 needs something. It's anti-climactic, like the rest of the song is just a bed for another instrument you haven't put in yet? I'm hearing a squealing guitar,

Also around 0:40, the long ending note could be used to fade out with those trance effects, not just fade in a few moments later with freestyle.

Sounds good to me so far, cant wait to see what other songs you can add.

As for another song, how about Moonlit Wilderness with Akuma's MvC3 theme? I'm sorry to say it'll probably be more awesome with Akuma and not Ryu's.

This is a new version of Moonlit Wilderness for TTT2. Maybe that'll sit in better.

Thanks for the feedback! Moonlit Wilderness is a great tune for sure. Ryu's theme is over-rated anyway though. I'll try to avoid using his theme.

As for squealing guitar, I'll definitely do some guitar stuff for it 8)

http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/cross-the-line-wip-2

WIP 2.

Currently just focused on arrangement. I'll finish all the transitions, filling empty spots etc. once I got the rest done.

The new tune I mixed in is "Doll Eyes". Cammy's theme from Alpha 3.

Basically, I did the melody with a piano. For the first couple repeats of the bass riff I kept it in the same notes as the original, but on the more intense repeat I re-interpreted the bass into the more Full-on style of the rest of the track.

I was also thinking of trying to include "spinning bird". Chun's theme from the EX games.

I'm still going through all the suggestions on the tekken themes and thinking about how I can work them in. Problem is, I want to keep in lots of original parts as well so I don't just overload the piss outta this with different sources. I'll do some guitar leads, new melodies and trippy sound effects plus bring back some of the sources more than once. I'm sure I can pull it off in the end lol

Street Fighter done Tekken style sounds better than a mix, it sounds like a fix! To me, Tekken, starting from Tekken 3, has the best soundtracks of all fighting games. If you guys haven't yet checked out the promo soundtrack for Tekken Tag 2, do yourself a favor and look them up on youtube (Remei already linked TTT2 version of T5's Moonlit Wilderness).

Just so happens, I am actually remixing Sakura's theme right now as well. I am doing it in a different style though, so we won't be oversaturating OCR with similar versions of this theme. This is an awesome theme really, and Jewbei also had a WIP (http://tindeck.com/listen/pntf) of it up some time ago.

Well then, onto your mix. I like what you have going so far. One critique that I would have at this stage is that your drums sounds weak, especially if you mean them to be Tekken-inspired. They need to sounds fuller and pack more punch. Also, you need to have some fills in there too - they really like those chopped/stutter drum fills in Tekken. Piano is another touchy subject on ocr, but I will leave that alone for now. Fix them drums, first, and I will comment more later. Good job so far!

http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/cross-the-line-wip-2

I was also thinking of trying to include "spinning bird". Chun's theme from the EX games.

yes do it I love this mix already and adding Spinning bird would be awesome 1 of chun li's best themes. If your taking suggestions try using "light guardian" ken's theme from the same game that 1 is wicked 2

Street Fighter done Tekken style sounds better than a mix, it sounds like a fix! To me, Tekken, starting from Tekken 3, has the best soundtracks of all fighting games. If you guys haven't yet checked out the promo soundtrack for Tekken Tag 2, do yourself a favor and look them up on youtube (Remei already linked TTT2 version of T5's Moonlit Wilderness).

Just so happens, I am actually remixing Sakura's theme right now as well. I am doing it in a different style though, so we won't be oversaturating OCR with similar versions of this theme. This is an awesome theme really, and Jewbei also had a WIP (http://tindeck.com/listen/pntf) of it up some time ago.

Well then, onto your mix. I like what you have going so far. One critique that I would have at this stage is that your drums sounds weak, especially if you mean them to be Tekken-inspired. They need to sounds fuller and pack more punch. Also, you need to have some fills in there too - they really like those chopped/stutter drum fills in Tekken. Piano is another touchy subject on ocr, but I will leave that alone for now. Fix them drums, first, and I will comment more later. Good job so far!

Thanks! I must hear your Sakura remix! It is sure to be killer!

The Tekken Tag 2 themes are pretty cool. I like the "Bountiful Sea", "Arctic Dream", the character select, the intro theme and that dubstep sounding one.....which is weird cuz I usually hate dubstep.

I'll change up some of the drums. More punchy snare to start.

yes please! and maybe Hokuto/Kairi's theme as well? Spinning Bird was awesome, so was rising dragon in the ex series. too bad the game was so floaty.

EX is actually the only series of SF I've never played. I have not heard good things about the game itself, but the soundtracks are great.

yes do it I love this mix already and adding Spinning bird would be awesome 1 of chun li's best themes. If your taking suggestions try using "light guardian" ken's theme from the same game that 1 is wicked 2

Glad you like it so far! I hope the end result is killer. It seems Spinning Bird is the winning vote so far on the next song to include. Listening to my current mix, Light Guardian and Spinning bird back to back, I think Spinning bird may fit a bit better.

I'll be throwing in some awesome lead guitar stuff too, (least I hope my playing is killer lol). I think I could fit more sources in if I maybe used a melody or two from a source as a basis for the solos. I learned Jin's theme from Tekken 3 a long time ago on guitar. That could be a good starting point for an original solo.

The new snare is definitely more punchy! It really does help give it a much more Tekken feel.

I love the transition into spinning bird, it whirls! haha. When it fades out, at the end there's a climax on the high note where i feel like i want to hear it scream into the solo from spinning bird or into ken's solo from Light Guardian. Nice.

The drums are still weak because there not the louder then the other instruments(Especially the kick), thats what im thinking. the track could use a cut of mids and boost highs on the master.

I would image the bassline high ends alittle to give it a bit of power and room.

as for the piano if its only playing high octaves I would pan it right a tad and use a bit of IR verb.

As for the arrangement, no complains :-)

The new snare is definitely more punchy! It really does help give it a much more Tekken feel.

I love the transition into spinning bird, it whirls! haha. When it fades out, at the end there's a climax on the high note where i feel like i want to hear it scream into the solo from spinning bird or into ken's solo from Light Guardian. Nice.

We think alike. I was going for that "whirl" type fee lol. Where the high note is at the end, is indeed where a guitar solo will start. My own solo though, not the spinning bird or Light Guardian one.

The drums are still weak because there not the louder then the other instruments(Especially the kick), thats what im thinking. the track could use a cut of mids and boost highs on the master.

I would image the bassline high ends alittle to give it a bit of power and room.

as for the piano if its only playing high octaves I would pan it right a tad and use a bit of IR verb.

As for the arrangement, no complains :smile:

Thanks man. Well, the drums aren't supposed to be louder than most of the other instruments. I dunno, I personally think the drums work at this point.

I'll tweak the master some more and experiment with the piano pan. Might be a bit distracting if it was panned a bit though?

We think alike. I was going for that "whirl" type fee lol. Where the high note is at the end, is indeed where a guitar solo will start. My own solo though, not the spinning bird or Light Guardian one.

Thanks man. Well, the drums aren't supposed to be louder than most of the other instruments. I dunno, I personally think the drums work at this point.

I'll tweak the master some more and experiment with the piano pan. Might be a bit distracting if it was panned a bit though?

Then the only problem is this is 2 min :smile: (almost as short as my wips XD)

yah just a bit with piano, its not playing in a lot of other octaves to its a safe bet to keep it a bit to the left.

Edit: just as i made this post, ableton went 1,000,000k on CPU LOUD A SHIZZZZ :o

Sounding good so far! Personally i think the kick drum level is fine, but the snare could do with coming up a bit.

Moving on, I think the piano near the start is the biggest weakness here, it comes in too loud, making it seem really far forward, it's also a bit mechanical, which isn't the biggest problem as it fits the dance genre, maybe just pull it back a bit in the mix with a lower level whilst playing round with some move reverb and/or delay settings to help it sit in the mix more.

Apart from that i'm really liking the variation of sounds, keeps it entertaining throughout, i don't know the source at all so i can't comment on the arrangement too much, but i'm looking forward to hearing this finished, keep it up!

http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/cross-the-line-wip4

WIP 4. Edited strings. Snare volume upped, Piano volume downed. However, I think for this WIP I lowered it a bit too much.

I added in the first guitar solo. On this track, for solos I want to stay away from doing lots of shred wankery and just make it melodic. I mean, I'll probably throw in a few speedy runs, but I want to do so to connect smooth, melodic phrases.

I think I've got it covered on the SF tracks I want to use. I still want to throw in a Final Fight melody but I'm really not sure on what I want to throw in on the Tekken side of things.

Yeah man, I'm diggin it. I'd say maybe more reverb on the piano, and maybe more velocity changes? Then again, I'm no piano expert (at all).

It's starting to sound REALLY Tekken-y, good work. If you want some suggestions for Tekken inputs, I'd take a look at King from Tekken 3 (which has some awesome guitar transition licks), Law from Tekken 3, and maybe Jin, but the other two would fit better for what you're doing I feel like. I still think Chicago would fit in pretty well (which I posted earlier) too. I'm not overly familiar with any other the music in the games past 3, they don't seem to have the same melodic influence that some of the earlier tracks had.

I'd like to see some sexy Tekken additions, but these are obviously just suggestions. Take a look and see what you think!

Again, good work!

pH

Yeah man, I'm diggin it. I'd say maybe more reverb on the piano, and maybe more velocity changes? Then again, I'm no piano expert (at all).

It's starting to sound REALLY Tekken-y, good work. If you want some suggestions for Tekken inputs, I'd take a look at King from Tekken 3 (which has some awesome guitar transition licks), Law from Tekken 3, and maybe Jin, but the other two would fit better for what you're doing I feel like. I still think Chicago would fit in pretty well (which I posted earlier) too. I'm not overly familiar with any other the music in the games past 3, they don't seem to have the same melodic influence that some of the earlier tracks had.

I'd like to see some sexy Tekken additions, but these are obviously just suggestions. Take a look and see what you think!

Again, good work!

pH

Thank you! If the track is sounding Tekkeny then the goal is being met. Well, I'm actually the opposite of you lol, I'm not really familiar with much of the music before 3. I like King's Theme, Lee's theme and the title song from Tekken 2 but I haven't heard anything else in that game I really really like. Tekken 3 has a couple songs I really like such as Jin and Nina's theme, but I don't really think they would fit at the higher tempo and the groove I've got going.

Okay I think what I'm going to do from here, is just stick with SF and hopefully a Final Fight song, but still stay on track with making it sound more like a Ajurika tekken tune. Which was my initial plan anyway.

I'll keep tweaking the piano.

Okay so i put my headphones on and immediately think the piano is MUCH more tolerable. It was just so... in your face in the other few, i like the level it's at now much more. The snares are much clearer too, for sure.

I heard "keep it going" at 1:18 and immediately wanted to hear the Tekken guy say FIGHT! at 0:28. I'll be sure to have to sync it up there for online play later!

The solo makes me want a little more, because I can 'kinda' hear what direction your going, and i think i know what your saying, but im not sure. Hope you get it the way you want!

Cant wait to hear more from Tekken's side too!

Okay so i put my headphones on and immediately think the piano is MUCH more tolerable. It was just so... in your face in the other few, i like the level it's at now much more. The snares are much clearer too, for sure.

I heard "keep it going" at 1:18 and immediately wanted to hear the Tekken guy say FIGHT! at 0:28. I'll be sure to have to sync it up there for online play later!

The solo makes me want a little more, because I can 'kinda' hear what direction your going, and i think i know what your saying, but im not sure. Hope you get it the way you want!

Cant wait to hear more from Tekken's side too!

Awesome. Including the "fight" thing is a great idea. I could also be cool with some of Yoshimitsu's classic....weird noises lol?

That solo is just a taste of what's to come later in the song. There'll be something more insane no worries.

The people have spoken and some Tekken tunez must be in there. I'll see what I can do.....

New wip with some of Jin Kazama. http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/cross-the-line-wip5

I used a really weird distorted organ (which is way too loud) for the main melody but I'm not sure I want to keep that instrument. Lots of different possibilities with this part. I also have an idea for a much better transition so that's comin' soon. Main thing with this is you'll notice a real empty space where the bass and drums are just doin' their thing. I've tried writing different melodies and stuff over top of the bass to compliment it but nothing too awesome so far. Really not sure what I could do to fill this space.....

Suggestions guys?