FLStudio on Mac via bootcamp, etc.

Considering buying an imac for multiple reasons, one of them is NOT the lack of compatibility with FLStudio. I understand it can be run through Parallels or Boot Camp, etc.

Google has yielded me mixed responses. Does anybody here have any personal experience with this? I would trust info from these forms a little more than some of the threads I've visited so far.

Thanks

Well if BGC does it, then I better do it!

That is what I had figured, but google searching it led me to lots of people on forums saying they've had troubles doing it that way. Perhaps thost posts come from people who are just not computer saavy enough and are biting off more than they can chew.

I guess I will know when I try it, hopefully we can grab a new one here soon, I am liking that 27 inch 3.4 GHz i7. Get an aftermarket SSD in there maybe! :-D

I used fl studio with parallels on a regular old macbook for quite a while, and it did just fine, but as my project files became bigger and more complex, it couldn't quite keep up. you'd probably be fine with an imac though. bootcamp is great and all but I couldn't be bothered to reboot everytime I need to change OS's, or just to make music.

Any particular reason you're buying an iMac?

You're burning your wallet for about 5% of what could be called a valid reason. Whoever tells you they're more stable doesn't know that my Protools mac set up crashed at least twice at school last year while dragging an audio file.

Seriously dude, get a PC. You'll be happy, and so will your wallet.

Also, by using Windows, the hardware in the Mac will perform just the same as the hardware in a PC because it's not OSX optimized. (cuz it's WINDOWS)

Maybe he likes the structure of the OS better. As an owner of both a Mac and PC, I can understand why some may prefer a Mac. OSX is intuitively designed around doing what you want to do with as little effort as possible. For example, you don't have to screw around with the registry and installing programs is a simple drag and drop. I've also only had one crash ever on my Macbook whereas my PC is always somewhat unpredictable.

More on topic, I think zircon already said what needed to be said. Bootcamp isn't emulation. It's purebred Windows running on hardware inside an Apple chassis. I've never been able to install Bootcamp, though, because of some sort of fragmentation problem on my Macbook HDD.

Maybe he likes the structure of the OS better. As an owner of both a Mac and PC, I can understand why some may prefer a Mac. OSX is intuitively designed around doing what you want to do with as little effort as possible. For example, you don't have to screw around with the registry and installing programs is a simple drag and drop. I've also only had one crash ever on my Macbook whereas my PC is always somewhat unpredictable.

I was more asking why he wanted one for running Windows and FL Studio.

(also what are you talking about with the registry?)

Yeah I was just rebutting your thing about stability because I've had exactly the opposite experience. But I said it to benefit OP in his decision. Of course Macs can be unstable though. A video editor friend of mine had problems.

I just think if you can get Bootcamp running it truly is the best of both worlds and worth the price premium.

EDIT: Windows registries are easily cluttered and error-ridden. OSX does a really good job of automatically keeping its registry clean. How many times have I had to fiddle with the Windows registry to fix some sort of weird problem? Fairly often. On the other hand, I don't even know how to access the OSX registry cause I've never had to.

I just think if you can get Bootcamp running it truly is the best of both worlds...

Yeah.

and worth the price premium.

Ye... no.

I've never had to fix anything in my registry. Then again I built my computer so there was no bloatware on there when I installed Windows. I'm not gonna argue Mac vs. PC here, I said what I thought applied most to Biznut's situation.

I -should- have experience with this but ever since I reformatted my macbook and started running windows via bootcamp on it i've just been always using my windows desktop for FL stuff.

I can say for sure that you probably won't want FL running in OSX via wine though. It -works-, and you'll be able to do things in it, but there's just enough annoyances that you won't really like it. Well, I guess it also depends on how heavily you rely on VSTs, how you're used to entering notes (mouse sequencer? midi keyboard?), etc.

You will probably be just fine though.