OCR02980 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Shenanigans Bananigans'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name: Archangel

Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )

Your email address: jaka (dot) cibej (at) gmail (dot) com

Your website: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel

Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Jungle Jitter (SNES Version)

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: David Wise, Eveline Fisher

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsR7LGtpemc

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

Greetings, almighty primarchs!

This is my fourth submission! I've recently discovered--the discovery was purely coincidental, of course--that I have about 40 weeks worth of ReMixes, and it's been almost a year since my last submission, so I'd better get started!

THIS SONG IS PART OF THE DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 3 PROJECT! So no touchy until the project is out.

Here's the writeup for my track:

"This song was quite a challenge for me, since I'd never written a cartoon-chase song before (or done a cartoon-chase remix, for that matter). The Jungle Jitter track was the only one still available when I checked the project thread. I suppose you could say that it was taunting me, so I claimed it.

The simplistic character of the source track allowed me to experiment and improvise quite a lot. I usually don't use much xylophone and marimba in my work (since they sound a little too wacky for my usual soundtrackish sound), so this was a chance to go wild with instruments I rarely use. That's always a plus.

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun remixing this track and I'm honored to be a part of the project team. "

When listening to this track, people will most likely picture two wacky apes running through the jungle and avoiding all kinds of traps, bees and crocodile mutants, and that's what I did as well. The last part of the track (from 2:45 onward) is my favorite. I like to think that's when our two primate protagonists really get in trouble, and a stampede of kremlings starts chasing them through the jungle, with Dixie shouting: "Hurry up, Kiddy!" and Kiddy running as fast as possible and then suddenly stopping and casually grabbing a nearby banana at 2:57, only to continue the wild escape through the undergrowth.

I'd also like to point out that Emunator has been the nicest project director ever. I hope he at least gets a couple of unofficial brownie points for that!

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty fun stuff; it definitely adds a lot of original material to the song, but The source makes a strong enough showing that it's apparent which song it is remixing, and there are a lot of fun arrangement details throughout. I wish it would feel even more animated, with more pronounced dynamics, but it was still pretty good. Nice woodwinds, and the percussion was great too.

So, in conclusion, this could have been better with more robust dynamics, and there is a lot of original material packed in, but it works well, and features good samples intelligently used.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh yeah, this is good stuff Jaka! Really good adaptation while still keeping your signature orchestral style in hand. I really appreciate your ability to diversify within your own genre and hope that other artists can learn from this example and not just tread the same water over and over with their remixes.

After reading what OA and Deia had to say, I actually do agree that you could have done some more work to increase the dynamics of the mix overall and maybe make certain elements stand out more clearly. That said, I think with an arrangement that's THIS creative, fun, and interpretive, it's pretty easy to tell which way it should swing. Good work mate :-D

YES