The OverClocked Plaid Muffins - Delicious and Moist (Portal - Still Alive)

Level 99

For those who think we are resting on our laurels, THINK AGAIN! Here's a taste of the next non-project Plaid Muffins track: a ska version of Still Alive from the original Portal! Right now its temp-brass but at the end it will be live, with final mixing tweaking and some revamped other parts. Credit where credit is due:

PrototypeRaptor: Arrangement, Brass Arrangement, Trombone, Vocals, Mixing, Mastering

Level 99: Arrangement, Guitars, Vocals, Drums

AMT: Bass

Xenon Odyssey: Tenor Sax

OA: Alto Sax

Swann: Trumpet

Source:

ReMix: The OverClocked Plaid Muffins - Delicious and Moist (WIP4)

Enjoy!

I believe I'm one of the rare people who don't like the original song (mostly because Glados' voice annoys me), but if this version was in the game, I sure would've liked it!

The song style immediately reminded me of Reel Big Fish (which is a good thing from my point of view :P).

Can't wait to hear the finished version :D

At first I was like.

"Oh hell no. Not another Still Alive cover."

Then I was like.

"BWOASHEET! This is rad."

Really well done job on this guys. Had a bit of a weak part near the beginning with the intro, but it works well.

1:00 - 1:03 sounds a little bit more off than it should.

But otherwise. Awesome as hell. Good job.

It is my opinion that every time you want to do the "Start with acoustic guitar, then switch to electric" formula, you have to go back to the acoustic for a while. And that's what you did!

I will concur with urdailywater. This song's quality went up about 170% with the addition of the brass.

It's like Sum 41 meets Reel Big Fish... please don't kill me. Haha i actually really like this it's awesome :')

Yeah except the brass samples but you already said you're gonna do it live so that doesn't even really need to be said.

I guess you could say i'm ... GlaD

Very nice! I'm not familiar with the source (never played Portal), but this song sounds like a lot of fun, and with my limited knowledge of the game it seems like the lyrics fit the game/themes well. I really like the style you guys got going on here.

I also can't wait to hear the Plaid Muffins version of Armored Armadillo on Maverick Rising. Just sayin'.

Holy....

How in the -world- did I miss this!?!

This is like...

like...

ambrosia for the ears.

This. Is. So. Beautiful. ;_;

I desperately need more Plaid Muffins in my life....

Edit:

Have you given any more thought to a full Overclocked Plaid Muffins album?

Stevo brings the ska! :nicework:

What else could people ask for?

Intro is very close the original. It's not a bad thing, but I was expecting maybe something more suprising from you guys...

Arrangement starts off with a lot of energy and never let go until the end. This song is a rocket-propelled-muffin-goodness-for-dem-ears!

The timing of vocals in the first verse could be a tiny bit tighter (1:00 and 1:10 comes to mind), but aside from that, performance is great overall.

Chorus sections are impecable, both vocal and instrumental-wise, and are highly enjoyable (the vocal break at 2:03 was fantastic).

The Muffins once again bring the touch of brass-sexiness we all know and love, and as usual the guitar-brass blend offers some interesting contrasts.

You've added a lot to an already delicious cake that I'm sure many are looking forward to enjoy in its final version. :-D

Also,

I desperately need more Plaid Muffins in my life....[...] a full Overclocked Plaid Muffins album?

Let it be known that the world can never have enough Overclocked Plaid Muffins. Therefore, we hereby demand a full OCPM album! ;)

And,

I also can't wait to hear the Plaid Muffins version of Armored Armadillo on Maverick Rising. Just sayin'.
^ QFE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

o.o This... is...

AWESOME!

At first I was like, "Meh. Sounds like a straight cover, nothing special..."

Then the amps and brass came, and I came too.

Can't wait to hear it with live instruments! This is the only good cover of Still Alive I've ever heard, and boy does it make up for all the crappy ones. :D