*NO* Amnesia: The Dark Descent 'You Will Not Be Forgiven (Groaning Under the Weight...)'

DragonAvenger

Remixer name: Brent Wollman

UserID: 41181

Game arranged: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Name of arrangement: You Will Not Be Forgiven (Groaning Under the Weight of Your Depravity Mix)

Name of individual songs arranged: Main Theme, Back Hall

The original composer's name is Mikko Tarmia

Here are the source tunes:

(Back Hall)

(Main Theme)

First of all: Know that there are spoilers to the game in this track.

This is a pretty unorthodox piece. It's a pretty ambient track featuring narrative told through voice files I took from the game. Some of the really unsettling bits toward the end of the game greatly inspired the overall sound (and title) of this track. The journey into the torture chambers was, in particular, a really fucked up part of the game, and definitely a highlight, made so in no small part by some of the voice-over narration, which I incorporated into this mix.

Here is a source breakdown:

0:00-1:07 Main Theme

1:07-1:55 Original

1:55-2:19 Back Hall

2:19-3:13 Main Theme (reinterpreted quite a bit, but still there pretty clearly, I think)

3:13-4:01 Original

4:01-End Back Hall

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think the vocal samples really added much, and seemed distracting to the music, but I guess everyone will have an opinion on them. The soundscape was pretty expansive, and the source use was good. I think that there is a good deal or original material mixed in, but it's in big chunks of it's own, rather than being integrated. That on it's own is definitely not a dealbreaker, but it's harder to evaluate with a more ambient track like this.

I think the style is really good, the new synths and such are nice, but I do think the vocal clips are ill-suited. Them being so prominent isn't the complete aspect of my vote, but it's there. I realize they are integral to the piece, and in a lot of ways tie it together, when without them it'd be too open and empty. I think the track relies on them too much.

I think minimizing them and adding a third theme, perhaps, to tie in more source would be the way to go.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a hard source to consider for mixing, because of how...one slow note at a time it is. That being said, I do think that you were able to incorporate it into your mix, and it is recognizable. I will agree that the vocal samples feel like they are taking over the mix, and aren't really helping it out. The fact of the matter is that when they come in, I can't really focus on the music, but the vocal clips. I don't necessarily think you need to can them, (although they are pretty creepy, gotta admit), but they need to be less of the focus here.

NO

• 1 month later...

This reminds me of this classic DOOM remix in a very, very good way. The vocal clip integration is very similar in terms of content and quality, and for me I'm not bothered by it at all. I have no problem paying attention to both the vocals and the atmosphere, and in fact I feel like the lines chosen actually really work really well to accentuate different sections of the remix.

I'd have really liked to hear some more melodic source usage in the intro, probably something based off of the guitar riff from The Back Hall in a very minimal, ambient form. The first part of the mix is connected by the chords, but it's not really something I'd pick up on, it sounds more like any random song from a horror game/film soundtrack, and not something inseparably bound to the Amnesia in particular. To your credit though, the vocal clips really help pick up the slack left by the liberal arrangement, and while I can't strictly count those samples as source usage, per se, as a listener it does help.

Also, what's the deal with the ending? I'd love to get some context on why you chose that approach - as it is, it just sounds a little poorly chosen and non-musical.

The production, sound design, and instrument choices is all stellar here, I have no complaints. It all sounds very good to my ears, in a very disturbing way. I really want to pass the mix on these grounds alone, but between the liberalness of the sources, and the lack of a decent ending, I'm inclined to send this back. PLEASE RESUBMIT THIS, I really want to hear this posted. It's one of the coolest mixes I've heard in my time as a judge and I like it a lot. I'll pass this if you can work in a bit more source integration (doesn't even have to be completely dominant) and fix the ending, as I had no problem with the vocal clips at all. Good luck man!

NO (please resubmit!)