OCR02514 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version 'Moondrops' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

First decision thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34426

ReMixer name: Sockpuppet

userid: 27176

Game arranged: Pokemon Red

Song arranged: 'Mt. Moon Cave'

ReMix Title: 'Moondrops'

Hi again, judges! Thanks for all your feedback on the first version! :-) I finally got around to fixing this up. This one's mixed a bit better and has an actual transition in the middle, and there's some slight changes to the arrangement.

Source breakdown, for those who didn't vote on it last time:

0:25-0:38, 0:51-0:56, 1:04-1:21, 1:29-1:36, 2:23-2:34, 4:22-4:52 and 5:01-5:51 are based on the first bit of the source, and the last bit of the source is being played by the bells, piano and/or the mono synth pretty much the whole way through 2:36-4:18.

Also, thanks again to Emunator for the title and feedback, and to TheGuitahHeroe, redtails, tydin, Guifrog and DarkSim for giving feedback at various stages. :D

---------------------

--------------------------

Said YES, before, so...

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Big improvement on the drums! I think the bass is a bit too prominent and the leads are a little too low and piercing. That sounds like an oxymoron, but what you'll need to do is reduce the 2khz-5khz frequency a little and bring the overall volume of the lead up. Otherwise, this was pleasant; the chiptune breakdown was really nice, and and though the balance isn't perfect, it's certainly an improvement, and I feel it's over the bar.

Yes

I always thought this was a nice approach to the source, and is nicely improved from the last version. really like the bit with the piano and portamento'd synth in the middle. some of the sounds still feel weirdly mixed, like the rhodes which feels really hollow, and that viloin lead that interweaves with the leads sometimes. feeling it overall though, and the chiptune breakdown at the end was tight. nice work. :)

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I never heard the first version, so I'm going into this one fresh.

Pretty genteel opening. The production on the piano reminded me a little bit of Hazama's Suikoden II mix. Wasn't really feeling the drum tone or the volume of the percussion compared to the leads at 1:03 (and later 4:21). The leads ended up getting noticeably obscured. Texturally, the whole piece ends up sounding a bit strange for the first 1/3rd.

Good dynamic shift at 2:23, with a great combination of piano and woodwind, followed by a nice pickup in energy. Rhodes stuff at 3:01 felt strange, but that seems to be a big aspect of this one, the weird instrumentation ideas and combos introduced throughout. It's not offensive, just a bit sonically disjointed.

I've heard enough instrumentally "disjointed" pieces from Shnabubula and others where I think I know when weird instrument combinations are fully clicking and when they aren't. They aren't 100% clicking here, and some leads being obscured ended up being the biggest negative for me, but the production execution was competent enough to get by and was buoyed some by the arrangement & interpretation being creative and strong.

Would love to see the balance among the parts get tweaked further to make this sounds markedly better, but on the seesaw of working vs. not working, the arrangement's clearly got a lot of great ideas and the execution is solid.

YES (borderline)

Oh good. My favorite soundtrack.

Weighing in because this is a testing track, so I'll be pretty brief and list what I think is good and bad

-Samples sound artificial.

-Writing is mechanical and rhythmically homogenous/unsophisticated.

-Time signature change in the middle is a good idea. Writing and rhythms are still mechanical.

-Song really doesn't need to be so long. There's too much melodic noodling.

-Creative arrangement.

No.

• 1 month later...

I've been a huge fan of this mix since it first debuted on the WIP forums because of how well it takes a downright ass-tacular source and turns it into something beautiful... so I'm gonna try and put aside my bias here for the sake of evaluation. The arrangement here is extremely classy; it's very emotional, fluid, and, despite what some judges said in the initial decision thread, I feel like it has a great sense of direction and movement as an overall piece. Doesn't feel aimless to me at all. Even with the length topping out at nearly 6 minutes long and some pretty extensive soloing, the source is still kept pretty close at hand and the original writing very rarely feels completely detached from the Mount Moon theme, either. I particularly dig the rhodes solo in the middle of the song, so major props for that! All of it falls right into place and feels like a very pleasant journey by the time it's over :-)

I'm noticing a lot of Reason default sounds, which tend to get a bad rap but I think they sound more than passable when treated right. In this case, I think the production is definitely passable thanks to some tasteful reverb and a multitude of sound effects/filtering that keep things interesting. The overall master feels a little bit too quiet, even for the genre, and it would be nice to get that boosted a bit before being posted.

Compared to the last version, the drum writing feels like it's been improved greatly - it feels very involved and synchronized with the rest of the track. The samples/production itself is nothing to write home about, per se, but it's no longer a strike against the track either thanks to the improved sequencing.

That flute sound at 2:24 does not sound good to me, though. Its appearance is so brief that I don't think I could justify NO'ing the track over it though, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

This one definitely feels over the bar to me on the whole. It's not perfect but it's got a ton of merit that outweighs the production flaws that may be present. Excellent effort dude, this is one of the more inspired and beautiful remixes I've heard lately :-) Keep improving your craft and you'll be up there with the OCR greats in no time if you keep bringing excellent arrangements like this to the table!

YES

• 9 months later...