OCR02284 - Final Fantasy VIII "Ready to March"

djpretzel

Nice laid back tune, glad to see more ff8 love for sure. Even EA has become more respectable lately, so the whole "EA" lyric bit is... well... ok.

I did think the mix was pretty sparse compared to the type of electronica that passes through here, something as small as a synth pad could have fixed that. The song didn't have a lot of power to it, maybe because the drums were a little weak, a tiny bit cheapy, default-ish sounds.. The panned glitchy effects were a nice touch, as was the panning on the lead -- that helped increase the perceived stereo wideness a bit.

:nicework: A lot of crits (sorry) but it is a good tune, would listen again.

Another Anti-Syne mix so soon? An Anti-Syne mix that I haven't heard yet? Very nice.

This one takes some time to build up, but once it really gets into the meat of the mix, there's actually some very cool things that come in and give it some neat flavor. It does take some time to get there, though, so if you're a listener that wants to drop out because of the beginning, don't; you'll be missing out on the better section of the track.

I like the style, but I will agree with DjP that something that varies a little in style would be a good idea for your next mix. Though to be fair, this IS only your second posted mix, so it might not be all that bad if you get one more punk-like mix, if that's what you fancy :smile:.

If you want the shoe to drop, it's most likely not going to come from me. Though, I'm not going all-praiseish on this one either.

It took me a while to get into Anti-Syne's style, but when I did not long after "Night City Funk" came out I then saw it to be very technically accomplished for a new face, and managed to be very appropriate for both the source material at hand and a weekend soundtrack. Like all electronica arrangements it tends to play safe, but the stylistic choice of writing definitely more than made up for it.

This on the other hand kind of plays a little too close to the previous submission's technical formula and is most likely going to draw some stylistic comparisons between them. As a track, it also has that listenable charm to it and can easily fit quite well with other artists of the genre, but it has a tendancy to be dragged down not only by his previous submission's successes and the emulation for it, but also for what can be seen as some slightly weaker writing, particluarly noting a lot of lower-frequency notation that might clutter things and a not-quite-as-stellar movement towards the ending.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the track a fair deal mostly due to the quality production techniques applied. But if there's anything that guys on Youtube and Facebook may show some discontempt with (rather than the more-than-obvious "techno anti-bias"), perhaps what I stated might be a handful of potential reasonings. :?

I thought it was a neat mix. Nothing special to me stands out as bad, but not amazing either. It's good background music for me, but beyond that I just don't feel it.

By the way, Anti-Syne, I'm still waiting for your "Bombs Away" track to be posted. Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...

While I find this remix to be pretty good musically, I do not like the "vocals" at all; they become grating very fast and are just plain annoying in the second part of the song.

Also, the synth coming in at 3:20 is too loud IMO, making it quite obnoxious.

In other words, there are some things that I wish had been done differently, but overall, this is enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I'm a huge Daft Punk freak, and I enjoy some Freezepop too, so hearing a ReMix that was aiming to be a cross between them was exciting to me. And I do here some influences from both, so fantastic job on that. I do have to agree that the synths were a bit too harsh in the latter parts of the ReMix and some of the beats just didn't sound right in some places, but it didn't bother me all that much. The cyber-like vocals sold this mix with me. All in all, not bad at all, Anti-Syne, I really liked this one.

• 2 weeks later...

This mix starts on a formulaic note, but branches out around 2 minutes in. I don't know how I feel about this to best honest - the sound of that mid high synth sort of bugs me a bit. The shift to the sampled guitar sounds completely apart from the earlier portion and I feel should be split into two different songs IMO. Production could use some refinement too, everything sounds a bit on the plain side and the song feels empty - maybe an addition of an instrument or two might help.

There are some good ideas in the song - I do like some of the mechanical elements, they make you want to get up and do some random dance. I feel some snazz would bring it out a lot more, and/or utilizing more mechanical sounding effects/sounds.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02284 - Final Fantasy VIII "Ready to March"