East Coast Earthquake

Geoffrey Taucer

I'm in eastern PA and at the time, I was visiting my one friend at the GameStop he works at. The monitors didn't shake, but the display of empty cases advertising games to preorder that are attached to the glass cabinet behind the counter were shaking a little bit. That was pretty much it, and if we hadn't been standing near there, we probably wouldn't have noticed it. Didn't actually feel anything.

Felt a little swaying and vibration here at Virginia Tech. Could see my monitors shaking enough to make it hard to read the text on screen, and the swaying I felt in my chair was enough to make me feel odd. Otherwise not much happened.

By feeling 'odd' do you mean feeling 'mmmmmmmmmmmm goood'?

Sometimes when the wind blows hard enough my room will get all shaky. When the quake hit, it felt like, not only my room, but the whole house was shaking so I thought to myself, "God it must be really windy today, or someone's in the house fucking shit up." I went outside and there wasn't even a breeze. I looked at my upstairs room from outsude to see if someone was on the roof or something and of course I saw nothing. I then got a text from my friend working in a city an hour away from here and he asked, "Hey did you feel that shake just now?" and that's when it hit me: "Holy shit I just felt an earthquake."

So yeah, neat stuff.

Do you live in a box?

Naw, there was plenty shaking in the city, depending how high up you were in buildings designed to 'sway' in high winds and quakes (as opposed to 'crumble'), although where we were, in the basement at Jacobi Medical Bldg. 1, we didn't feel a thing; I almost felt bad. I dunno how I'd react in an actual tremor.

Naturally, a lot of people panicked and evacuated several floors, although the disaster bell code that was put in place after 9/11 never rang. People are saying 'NYC' and 'East Coast' quake (with schizophrenic news reports mentioning the 'Virginia' quake that hit 'New York'; which is it?), and they also cleared out of City Hall and police headquarters. I'm afraid now I'll never hear the end of it from the media and politicians who want to spend billions upon billions to 'prepare' the city for something that may never happen again in our lifetimes. The epicenter area, however, is a different matter, and I hope our concentration of staff there is all well and good.

I was at work. I was one of the few people awake for the 5 AM MD earthquake last year (very minor, but it got me used to the feeling of an Earthquake). At first, I thought a very fat person was walking by my cube. After 5 seconds, I knew something was up. Grabbed my bag and nearly bolted for the corridor. Everyone else was playing gopher and just looking over their cubes to see what was going on. It lasted about 20 seconds for the duration of shaking, we got it pretty nasty cause I was on the 4th floor. Everyone dawdled out of the building eventually and we were let go to go home. It was an interesting day.

Felt it for about 10 seconds up on the 4th floor of my office building, everyone in the office I work at pretty much just started laughing and said "that was awesome!"

We were told to go outside but within 10 mins we were told it was fine to go back up, so no free day, just an interesting time-waster.

I would just like to add that we did feel it as far south as South Carolina. I was in the third floor of a building and we actually thought it was a strong wind or something.

It wasn't until later that we found out about the earthquake. A lot of my friends were complaining on Facebook that they didn't feel anything. :-P