East Coast Earthquake

Geoffrey Taucer

Was allowed to go home earlier than usual with no loss of pay.

I'm supposed to wait for either a phone call from my supervisor in the morning real early or if the building manager decides to keep it closed until its done its inspections.

Its not so much the actual quake itself that did some serious harm as its the possibilities of broken gas lines/electrical boxes shorting out and causing fires or worse explosions to go along with any possible fire.

Epicenter was in, what, Mineral VA? That's less than 100 miles from Arlington. I bet John F. Kennedy was rolling in his grave.

We felt it pretty good in Landover, MD. I stared up for 30 seconds and made sure nothing was coming down on my head, and that was about it.

Far more entertaining to me than the baby's-first-earthquake stories of people running out of buildings were first timers who were -already- outside, and thought they were suffering from a stroke/seizure.

I was at home in Clifton, VA, and it was very strong and loud. The whole house was shaking. It was scary because I was on the 3rd floor. I immediately did what they say to do in an earthquake, and stood in a doorway, even though I felt that would do little good while I was on the 3rd floor. But obv, everything was fine. As the sound was dying down, I heard the sound of water gushing. I thought perhaps a pipe had burst or the washing machine or dishwasher had exploded or something. I ran downstairs even though the house was still shaking, thinking I may have to turn off the washer or the water. When I got to the 2nd floor, I saw that a bottle of rum had fallen onto the counter and was dripping everywhere. I rushed to clean up all the glass and was late to work as a result, which kind of threw me off my balance for the rest of the day. I guess you could say I was... shaken by the earthquake. :tomatoface: And then I came home from work and still spent a long time trying to get all the little shards. The horror!!!

I work right by railroad tracks, and at first it felt like a freight train was about to roll on by. After several long moments wondering where exactly the train was, and the vibrations increasing in strength, I knew *something* unusual was going on. When the cars in the parking lot began to shake in front of me, it dawned on me that yes this really was an earthquake. Echoing previous posts, it really did feel weird -- not at all what I expected a quake to be like.

Haha, didn't even feel it in GA.

Apparently in Savannah some buildings got a bit damaged, but other than that it wasn't that bad.

I work at a grocery store, and a lot of people who came in were making a big deal out of it, and I might be wrong but it didn't seem like that big of a deal anyways (at least compared to the damage an earthquake can do) . I think people were just freaking out because there really are never earthquakes over here. I hope nobody was hurt in other places, though.

Everybody in all the major office buildings in DC followed standard fire procedure, which is to evacuate your building and stand across the street.

Underneath the office building on the opposide side. Pretty stupid in retrospect; you're still gonna have chunks of building fall on you in a bad quake.

Anyways, everyone was obviously okay, besides folks being mentally off balance, and also getting annoyed at the LA staff and visitors all "WHAT; THIS IS NOTHING" when they'd never experienced it before.

I was in the same area as Stevo. Same little bit of confusion: I thought someone was jostling my chair, then shacking the walls of the cubicle I was in, then realized that it was going on a little longer than normal. There was some "huh? What was that?" immediately thereafter.

We first did the in-house evac drill (move to the interior room), then the fire evac drill (exit the building), at which point I figure I may as well go home and try to avoid most of the traffic.

The paragoomba in my room also fell off the bookcase :(

Anyways, everyone was obviously okay, besides folks being mentally off balance, and also getting annoyed at the LA staff and visitors all "WHAT; THIS IS NOTHING" when they'd never experienced it before.

What you gotta do is point out how batshit they go when there's half an inch of non-sticking snow flurries.

Seriously though, while the media is going to town on this one, no one around here is really treating it like some huge event. An unusual event, yeah, but nothing huge.

And also, six months in Japan and I didn't feel a single quake, but now I feel a once-in-a-century one? I was hoping that I was a quake-repellant... KF